The 2017 Coli census, are AA's really a minority on this board?

Which of the following groups do you belong to?

• African American

• African

• Caribbean

• Afro-Latino

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
lol that whole list got me like:beli:

245 AA's in the TLR, yet its always the same 7 posters defending us against slick shyt . Fam im:beli:
I think part of that has to do with what @I'm_sleep touched on.

Most AAs just don't gaf about our culture, history, ethnicity, nationality, none of that shyt. All they know is black and all black people are the same to us. They have no pride in being AAs.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
I'm suprised there's a lot of the African poll.

Must be UK posters inflating the non-AA numbers.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I think part of that has to do with what @I'm_sleep touched on.

Most AAs just don't gaf about our culture, history, ethnicity, nationality, none of that shyt. All they know is black and all black people are the same to us. They have no pride in being AAs.

I wouldn't go that far:whoa: but I would say from what I've seen since I first came on this board that there are many Aframs who don't grasp the full scale of their history/culture and it's multiple facets/layers. Some aframs along with outsiders think Afram culture started with HipHop:martin::childplease::camby: When you tell them this,

Origins of African-American Ethnicity or African-American Ethnic Traits

The newly formed Black Yankee ethnicity of the early 1800s differed from today’s African-American ethnicity. Modern African-American ethnic traits come from a post-bellum blending of three cultural streams: the Black Yankee ethnicity of 1830, the slave traditions of the antebellum South, and the free Creole or Mulatto elite traditions of the lower South. Each of the three sources provided elements of the religious, linguistic, and folkloric traditions found in today’s African-American ethnicity.30

http://essays.backintyme.biz/item/19

.......many cannot break down what was taking place in those 3 areas of influence.

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I wouldn't go that far:whoa: but I would say from from I've seen since I first came on this board that there are many Aframs who don't grasp the full scale of their history/culture and it's multiple facets/layers. Some aframs along with outsiders think Afram culture started with HipHop:martin::childplease::camby: When you tell them this,

Origins of African-American Ethnicity or African-American Ethnic Traits

The newly formed Black Yankee ethnicity of the early 1800s differed from today’s African-American ethnicity. Modern African-American ethnic traits come from a post-bellum blending of three cultural streams: the Black Yankee ethnicity of 1830, the slave traditions of the antebellum South, and the free Creole or Mulatto elite traditions of the lower South. Each of the three sources provided elements of the religious, linguistic, and folkloric traditions found in today’s African-American ethnicity.30

http://essays.backintyme.biz/item/19

.......many cannot break down what was taking place in those 3 areas of influence.

The AAs you're referring to are NE AAs...

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
The AAs you're referring to are NE AAs...
Yeah while I think the Black Yankee thing is legit, that paper OVER exaggerates their influence on AA's as a whole.

But I am curious to the level of influence "Black Yankees" would of had in cities where there were sizeable populations (NYC, Boston, Philly), and how that may have impacted newly arrived southerners. I can see them being very influential from post emacipation to at least the very early stages of the great migration.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Yeah while I think the Black Yankee thing is legit, that paper OVER exaggerates their influence on AA's as a whole.

But I am curious to the level of influence "Black Yankees" would of had in cities where there were sizeable populations (NYC, Boston, Philly), and how that may have impacted newly arrived southerners. I can see them being very influential from post emacipation to at least the very early stages of the great migration.
Prolly had the most influence in phillyt if I were to guess

NYC and Boston got swamped by European immigration

Yea and Im guilty of it too before AND I have strong southern roots. And raised by a southern grandmother.
So y'all the Canadian/Brits of AAs:scust:

:troll:

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

repost from me

The Black Yankees

Black Yankee ethnicity was also not the same thing as membership in America’s Black endogamous group. The difference between Black Yankee ethnicity and Black endogamous group membership is that ethnicity is to some extent voluntary whereas which side of the color line you are on is usually involuntary. Mainstream America assigns to the Black side of the endogamous color line people of many different ethnicities whose only common trait is a dark-brown skin tone. These include West Indians, some East Indians (sometimes), recent African immigrants, and (until recently) African-looking Muslims and Hispanics. Finally, the endogamous color line was imposed in 1691 but the earliest evidence of Black Yankee ethnicity dates from the mid 1700s.

Although less wealthy than the Louisiana Creoles, the Black Yankees had developed a strong supportive culture that could withstand the buffeting of social upheaval. They were usually ostracized from mainstream society due to the endogamous color line. According to contemporary accounts, they responded with grace and dignity, making a virtue of their separation. It was not uncommon to see lines of quiet, well-behaved children following their parents to Sunday service with the gravitas and pietas of Roman elders. Their preachers taught that they were put on earth to be tested.31 Their lot was to serve as example to the white folks of how civilized Christians behave.

Most Black Yankees distinguished themselves from slaves—indeed many families had no history of slavery but descended from indentured servants. Nevertheless, many were active contributors to and activists in the abolition movement. This is in strong contrast to the biracial elite of the Gulf coast and Latin America, who owned slaves and defended slavery as a noble institution.32 The contrast was due to the lack of an independent Black ethnicity among Hispanic planters of part-African ancestry, and this lack was due, in turn, to the absence of an endogamous color line.

In some ways, Black Yankee culture (religion, language, music, dance, food, costume) was indistinguishable from that of White Yankees. For example, the boisterous interactive style of many African-American church services today would have been alien to them, since it originated in the slaveholding South. Daniel A. Payne was a Black Yankee, a career AME minister in Philadelphia. He was a sympathizer of the Underground Railroad, so its organizers asked him to preach to a group of newly escaped slaves. His diary reports:

After the sermon, they formed a ring, and with coats off sung, clapped their hands and stamped their feet in a most ridiculous and heathenish way. I requested that the pastor go and stop their dancing. At his request they stopped their dancing and clapping of hands, but remained singing and rocking their bodies to and fro.33

Although the endogamous color line was stricter in the antebellum North than in the antebellum South, it was less strict in 1850 and 1860 than in 1970 and 1980.34 The children of interracial marriages in the Northeast were usually census-reported as “Negroes” rather than as “Mulattoes.” This resembles today’s customs and contrasts with the more permeable color lines of the lower South. According to Joel Williamson, “In 1850 in the five states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin, mulattoes actually outnumbered blacks by 24,000 to 22,000, while in the older-settled New England and Middle Atlantic states blacks outnumbered mulattoes by about three to one.”35

The Black Yankees set many of the patterns of modern African-American life. They developed the supportive church-centered social structure found in African-American communities today
. Long before the South was segregated, they faced isolation and cyclical rejection by mainstream society. They were also the first to articulate the dilemma that continues to occupy Black thinkers to this day: integration versus separatism.

On the interactions between the Black Yankees and Southern Plantation Blacks:

The aftermath of the Civil War dramatically accelerated the process of cultural osmosis. In the same way that Northern entrepreneurs (carpetbaggers) flooded the Reconstruction South seeking business opportunities, tens of thousands of Black Yankees left homes and careers and also migrated to the defeated South. They built the schools, printed the newspapers, and opened the businesses that taught the newly freed to flourish as Americans.68 Joel Williamson particularly distinguishes between Northern Black Yankees and Southern former slaves, especially among former Union soldiers:

The channels though which mulatto leadership moved from the North to the lower South are clearly visible. Many of the migrants, women as well as men, came as teachers sponsored by a dozen or so benevolent societies, arriving in the still turbulent wake of Union armies. Others came to organize relief for the refugees…. Still others… came south as religious missionaries… Some came south as business or professional people seeking opportunity on this… special black frontier. Finally, thousands came as soldiers [Black Yankees in regiments that served in the South], and when the war was over, many of [their] young men remained there or returned after a stay of some months in the North to complete their education.69

Culture clash made for bumpy times for some of the volunteers. Slave religious services were characterized by the ring-shout ceremony. In a ring-shout, as Daniel Payne had noticed,70 the outdoor congregation shuffles, dances, claps, and sings as they circle the preacher, loudly responding to his or her every utterance. Although the ring-shout is ostensibly Christian, the old Yoruba orixas Exu, Ogun, Xango, Oxossi often make an appearance by taking possession of a dancer, especially in the Sea Islands and in Louisiana bayous.71 Black Yankees, in contrast, were staid Methodist Episcopalians. Slave music had exceedingly simple melodies and harmony was unknown, but the music gloried in dazzling rhythmic syncopation. Black Yankee music was characterized by the subtle and changing harmonies of Anglican hymns and a steady British beat.72

Many AME ministers sent south insisted on an educated ministry, undercutting the authority of self-taught slave-born preachers, and demanded more sedate services than new freedmen were used to. “The old people were not anxious to see innovations introduced in religious worship,” one wrote home, telling how a Black Yankee preacher was mocked as a “Presbyterian” by his new flock.73 Nevertheless, the overall attitude of the Black Yankees reflected solidarity with their charges. New England Black Yankee teacher Virginia C. Greene wrote home, “I class myself with the freedmen. Though I have never known servitude they are in fact my people.”74 Some of the southbound migrants even married white southern Republicans during Congressional Reconstruction. Carrie Highgate, a Black Yankee schoolteacher from New York married White Mississippi state senator Albert T. Morgan.75

Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » The Color Line Created African-American Ethnicity in the North

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
Just to further clarify: Afro-Latino = African descent ppl from South and Central America. Dominicans = Caribbean.

I didn't think this one through :snoop:

Forgive me brethren :to:

I was legit like :unsure: at the Caribbean/Afro-Lat choices until this post :rrlaff: