The 2017 Coli census, are AA's really a minority on this board?

Which of the following groups do you belong to?

• African American

• African

• Caribbean

• Afro-Latino

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Something I want to add
(Might catch some heat :mjcry:)

IMO AAs (and other Americans) emphasize slavery more than other folks in the diaspora

Phrases like slave food, field nikka house nikka etc. really shouldn't be used, shyts ignorant
Its all good, we see the same thing.

I mean I understand why all of that stuff is, our circumstances here compared to other parts of the diaspora brought about that. But yeah a lot of the rhetoric gets disrespectful towards our ancestors. Honestly the slave references wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't always hold such a negative connotation, that's what I really wanna see less of.

And the house/field slave dynamic was a real thing here, I just think it gets overused and isn't as simple as it's often made out to be. Don't get me started on the Willie Lynch letter...

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Its all good, we see the same thing.

I mean I understand why all of that stuff is, our circumstances here compared to other parts of the diaspora brought about that. But yeah a lot of the rhetoric gets disrespectful towards our ancestors. Honestly the slave references wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't always hold such a negative connotation, that's what I really wanna see less of.

And the house/field slave dynamic was a real thing here, I just think it gets overused and isn't as simple as it's often made out to be. Don't get me started on the Willie Lynch letter...
Idk

That vid you posted with Dr Clarke talking about Farrakhan mentioned this briefly but idk how true it is: he stated that in the islands there was less disconnect between house and field slaves. Honestly don't know how true that is

And in regards to so called slave food, islanders eat "slave food" too:mjlol: wheee nikkas think salt fish come from :mjlol:

But maybe it's due to slavery ending later in the US but Cuba/PR/Vrazil ended after so idk:yeshrug:

I just hate when folks talk about slavery but forget all the shyt that happened between 1865-1950

Mentally I think it's a bad thing to always focus on slavery

And it might be cacs' fault:yeshrug:

I'm rambling tho

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Idk

That vid you posted with Dr Clarke talking about Farrakhan mentioned this briefly but idk how true it is: he stated that in the islands there was less disconnect between house and field slaves. Honestly don't know how true that is

And in regards to so called slave food, islanders eat "slave food" too:mjlol: wheee nikkas think salt fish come from :mjlol:

But maybe it's due to slavery ending later in the US but Cuba/PR/Vrazil ended after so idk:yeshrug:

I just hate when folks talk about slavery but forget all the shyt that happened between 1865-1950

I'm rambling tho
My hunch is it has to do with the US averaging less slaves per plantation(so I've read). That kind of dynamic I would imagine would have more of an impact on a small plantation opposed to larger ones as it would be more "in your face" so to speak, if that makes any sense. My knowledge on slavery in the Caribbean isn't nearly as extensive as the states so it's all just a guess for me at this point.
:yeshrug:

And yeah, the slave food thing is my number one gripe. It never made sense to me because food was literally the first thing that made me notice the connections we have across the diaspora.
Plus the rhetoric never makes sense.

We only had pig scraps...but somehow we eat greens, black eyed peas, okra, etc.:rudy:

Or that it isn't related to African cooking or "less African" lol, as if AA ancestors uniquely forgot how to cook upon arrival to the states.
:snoop::mindblown:

And I feel you 100% on people stopping at 1865.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Something I want to add
(Might catch some heat :mjcry:)

IMO AAs (and other Americans) emphasize slavery more than other folks in the diaspora

Phrases like slave food, field nikka house nikka etc. really shouldn't be used, shyts ignorant

the label of "slave food" annoys the sh1t out of me:birdman: but field-house ninja Im cool with:smugdraper:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
My hunch is it has to do with the US averaging less slaves per plantation(so I've read). That kind of dynamic I would imagine would have more of an impact on a small plantation opposed to larger ones as it would be more "in your face" so to speak, if that makes any sense. My knowledge on slavery in the Caribbean isn't nearly as extensive as the states so it's all just a guess for me at this point.
:yeshrug:

And yeah, the slave food thing is my number one gripe. It never made sense to me because food was literally the first thing that made me notice the connections we have across the diaspora.
Plus the rhetoric never makes sense.

We only had pig scraps...but somehow we eat greens, black eyed peas, okra, etc.:rudy:

Or that it isn't related to African cooking or "less African" lol, as if AA ancestors uniquely forgot how to cook upon arrival to the states.
:snoop::mindblown:

And I feel you 100% on people stopping at 1865.
This also has me:mindblown:

Chitlins are served in five star restaurants around the world
Spare ribs were considered slave food. Now its the staple of American BBQ
Hell,we created bbq which also has quote on quote slave origins
Is lobster still considered jail food lol:dahell:

Some dudes be going out of their way to give AA cultural elements a L

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
This also has me:mindblown:

Chitlins are served in five star restaurants around the world
Spare ribs were considered slave food. Now its the staple of American BBQ
Hell,we created bbq which also has quote on quote slave origins
Is lobster still considered jail food lol:dahell:

Some dudes be going out of their way to give AA cultural elements a L
Yeah man shyt is shameful, especially coming from our own folks.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

I'm rambling tho

slavery is talked about more in the USA because it's so heavily tied to racism, heavy jim crow segregation, lynchings, kkk etc..plus aframs are basically the only new world blacks that to endure this amongst a sea of white people:scust: