That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
:umad:36 been innovating stay mad

salt-n-pepa, heavy d & the boyz were more successful than tribe. they had their biggest-selling years in '94.

and as far as tribe & de la goes, they didnt go hardcore but they certainly werent as soft as they were in their earlier days.

PLEASE STOP.

the jodeci picture is older than the 3-6 mafia album cover, which nobody even knew about.

this board and its 3-6 mafia legacy push.:scust:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Friend of mine actually wrote a piece on how tempo changes and the decline in the traditional club scene led to the rise of an era were dancing/clubbing kind of lost its edge to street culture and began to inmpact how people interacted with the music.The tempo and energy shift also made the need for signature dances pretty much DOA since the music was more about attitude then actually made to make people dance,a stark contrast with,for examle the early 80's up to the New Jack Swing era in the late eighthies when the line between R&B and hip hop was still very much in place.Something similar happened in the late 70's when electronic devices like drum computers and sequencing made their way into traditional R&B,the tone and attitude changed along with chord structures which changed the way people danced and interacted with the music.That era were everybody was trying to adjust is a staple in hip hop and how it keeps itself from becoming stagnant.This period(808/AABB/ABAB rhymeschemes,autotune,melodic structures around bounce) is the longest running style of production and style we've seen and shows no signs of letting up.I think it will take a big shift in attitude to get trap'ish style hip hop out of here.

Trap beats is cancer to the human ear. Stagnation is cause by dysfunction and hopelessness

Grand Eeezus Maxwell

"Time is when, God....lounge!!"
Daps
Reppin
Triple Six Mile
I remember when these cats went from this :

UMCs-Fruits-of-Nature-Cover-Full.jpg

to this :

511x8X8nZ7L.jpg

This, along with “14 Shots To The Dome” & “No Man’s Land” were the worst of the ‘hardcore’ transitions IMO. UMC’s first album was dope af, tho.

Album was garbage

“I’LL STICK YOU FOR YA DOUGH, SPIT ON YA FLO’!!!”

I’ll never forget that shyt! :russ:

Last edited:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
think about this thread n go back n listen to enter the 36 chambers entire album...

u will laugh ya ass off.,.,rza on his willie d shyt jus cussin for no reason

hi-c was a trip im still confused why he went that route when he was already on some gd up comedy like eazy

Tony A gave him the sauce and hi C shytted on him and said he can do it without him :wow:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
That Gangsta wave really touched something deep in peoples souls. Call it the frustration of a generation, the pain of the world over a dope beat or whatever you want but it had everyone acting real froggie.

Whats nuts is the current devolved state of rap can be traced back directly to this era as it all became one-upmanship and a need to increase shock value as the old "wow" was the new "been there done that" and the drugs got stronger...

I really do wonder if/how the artform will ever be raised back up to the artistry it used to be because it will be us that does it and not a label as they're caking off this new "no money down, no development, all profit" approach with disposable chewing music right now as the customers are happy with weak product as they don't know the difference between that and the uncut raw.

That's how it been since the digital streaming era. Artists development is a huge joke.
Whole thread trash if you don’t mention the fact that Onyx is responsible for that shift.

Onyx and Wu Tang made the super grimey east coast sound that everyone gravitated towards. This was the age where kids born in the crack era were getting older and embraced dysfunction. It wasnt like the generation before, where the OG rappers of the 80s who were 60s babies talked about life in the black community before the crack epidemic. 93 was when the horrors of the first seeds of the crack epidemic grown, and showed their demonic side of the ghetto.

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
say word you thought of leaders supreme style switch on t.i.m.e. as being grimey. if anything it was really derivative of the scientific shyt organized sparked in '91 with their debut. releasing hypnotical gases specifically, which had the gawd kool keith's critical beatdown style's DNA all in it while you bullshyttin...

but yo by like '92 damn near every rap nikka who didn't exactly fit the gangsta trope or aesthetic (like my nerdy ass for example) started putting shyt like nucleic acid & binary fission in their rhymes because of organized, word lmao. their G Rap-inspired wanted dead or alive uptempo eventually gave way to a slower and even more dense flow fit for boom bap with echoing horns & all that. my mans Latief was tight with Busta so he got us into the muse when lyricist lounge used to hold their shyt there in '93. son kicked that veronica, sam, wilma rhyme off spontaneous combustion before the album came out. nikkas went WILD kid

matter of fact that night really was goat because black bandana underground Biggie, Puff, 8-Off, YZ, Cella Dwellas and Mad Skillz were all in the building. and i'm not gon hold you son, low key Skillz was the best rapper that night. bro said i fold nikkas up like lawn chairs when it's raining. Busta got so hyped he grabbed Biggie by his jersey and pushed him into Puff lol, nikka spilled his drink on some redbone chick who looked like she might have been interviewing him. i was like who is this dread nikka from Virginia bodying everybody? he was a problem man and arrogant too lol (in a good way, super confident emcee)

anyway yeah, i got too many stories and type too much. i consider it more scientific than grimy with a stream of consciousness element that to me predated anything Ghost or Wu was doing. low key '93 Busta with the Voltronic/Ultrasonic style might be my favorite version of him. wish he gave me a full album of that style before he went commercial

That album was a touchstone of a shift in approaching abstract subject matter,which at that point was OK's sandbox.I think both Monch and Po saw their influence in that LONS album which in turn fueled what would be The Extinction Agenda album/concept. Busta imo was in his prime from 92-96

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I remember they debuted this after Fresh Prince episode. My pops bought the single :scusthov:...the B side joint went ham sammich though:ohlawd:
Will talking about knocking nikkas out :russ:

And In Living Color had this sketch where all the gangsta rappers switched up once the cameras went off :mjlol:

That's cause you don't know about Philly Will Smith... Listen as he spits these old raps and what he's talking about

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
To add:

I remember that year vividly (for better & worse)

In NYC, Hot97 was still in its infancy as a full time hip-hop station

You even had freestyle singers going hardcore.

TKA singing about 'Louder Than Love'

Then K7 goes solo & puts out 'Come Baby Come'

:mjlol:

Old school rappers were being pushed out. Even Doug E Fresh made a song about this whole topic

(Skip to 2:25)

Did you catch the shot at Onyx? :sas2: