That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
Wow... when you look back at it it's like SNL skits, it's like parody rap.
I lived through it and enjoyed the chit out of a lot of that music but in retrospect it's :russ:

But I guess it's always been like that though. The pendulum swings. First everything is G-Unit sneakers, shootouts and funny tanktops then its Kanye with the pink Polo.

Btw, "Ice Ice Baby" is nothing compared to that "Roll Em Up" :picard:

It’s funny because as a kid (7-10ish) during this time. I/we would watch Yo MTV raps and listen to the songs on the radio and transitioned with the time not looking to hard into it. Looking back it’s crazy and interesting.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Like when MC Hammer decided he wanted to be called 'The General'

hqdefault.jpg

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
nikkas is tripping bigging up fukking ONYX they ain't start shyt

Onyx came in the game with this wack shyt in 89' (beat was ahead of its time tho)

then ghostwrote this joint for an r&b group you can see them in the video

Fredro Starr stole the Cuttroats concept & bought it to Jam Master Jay in 91 and blew the fukk up before the cuttroats had a chance to come out so by the time they did they sounded like they were biting Onyx smh

The cuttroats got done real wrong by the industry

Educate!

Daps
some of the stuff was like scared straight if you were a young kid though....the Lifer's Group & Ice T- That's How I'm Livin...

the one song that was Way over the top was Beatnuts - Reign Of The Tec....that got lots of airplay.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
This is kind of what's happening now. Almost every rapper seems to feel as if they have to do a Trap type record to stay relevant or grow dreads and dye the dreads multiple colors or be covered head to toe in tatoos.

Lil skies, Lil peep, Famous Dex, and all those other dudes looks so damn stupid doing this:laff:They look like some drugged up zombies. I saw Trippie Redd a couple of weeks ago and It looked like it was taking all of his mental capacity just to stand up. He looked dead

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
Lil skies, Lil peep, Famous Dex, and all those other dudes looks so damn stupid doing this:laff:They look like some drugged up zombies. I saw Trippie Redd a couple of weeks ago and It looked like it was taking all of his mental capacity just to stand up. He looked dead
Lil Skies only does Weed breh, he has said in multiple interviews he ain't with the pill popping foolery

Magnum P.I.M.P.

Tumultuous Splendor
Daps
Reppin
Orca's c*nt
All these songs show Common's inspiration for writing "I Used to Love HER". Cause a lot of people say "How could Common write that in 1994, arguably the best year in Hip Hop history". Well this thread is why.
So if ‘94 wasn’t the best (or one of the best), then what year was? Obviously it couldn’t be a year of such disdain.

Superstar
Daps
All these songs show Common's inspiration for writing "I Used to Love HER". Cause a lot of people say "How could Common write that in 1994, arguably the best year in Hip Hop history". Well this thread is why.

it always tickled me how he so few others actually took a different route than so many. While their music turned more rugged, his grew into something more introspective and mature, and more accountable of self. I don’t have the full picture though, I never heard his music before “can I borrow a dollar”