Thanks Tyler Perry! Spike Lee must resort to Kickstarter To Get Next Movie Funded

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
Why did he get blackballed?

he's not getting blackballed, he's still making movies
Spike Lee - IMDb

its just that he wants to make one particular movie this way

I just saw the video for the first time and I get the impression the he just heard about Kickstarter from the students and saw an opportunity, no real script yet, its not that studios dont want to fund it but rather he sees a way of making the movie with donors instead

I dont see the point of just randomly supporting a director just cause

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
In this day and age of the all-or-nothing mega blockbuster, Spike has to do this cause people still too caught up in that minstrel garbage that Tyler Perry is doing, sorta like how people dikkride Lil Wayne and shyt on well rounded MCs.

Lavish

Its Lavish, hoe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tdot.. till the death of me
I really cant believe anyone would fund a film while the director worth millions keeps the profits :what:

I get it, support black people cool. but when I was down and out and living check to check, nann one of these million dollar directors helped support me. matterfact If I ran up to one of them and asked for $100 to by food for my family theyd likely say no and have their bodyguards take me away.

so nah im not gonna send money to spike lee so he can stay rich and keep the profits. fukk that

when or if the movie comes out, I will donate by buying a ticket and seeing it in theatres

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
At first I thought people were being too harsh but I agree with the negative posts.

I'm not giving anyone well-off any money unless I get something that benefits me in return. This is just an opportunity to go to the theater and pay some more money to see what I partially financed in the first place?

I have no qualms about a start-up company that's trying to do something different but just a typical movie director for a typical movie, is just a no-go. What if he said what he was trying to make instead of just banking on the Spike Lee name?

Crowd sourcing comes to the big screen.

When two nontraditional filmmakers, attorney Nick Lewis and acupuncturist Ranko Tutulugdzija, sought to finance a documentary about their friend, soccer star Jay DeMerit, they turned to people who were equally passionate: the fans, who donated more than $220,000 online.

This unconventional strategy led to a distributor, which is releasing “Rise and Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story” nationwide and allowing the filmmakers to retain the movie’s rights.

“Rise and Shine’s” approach could be the dawn of a new way to raise money for and release movies.

Individual investors and hedge funds had expressed interest in financing the documentary, but, Lewis believes, “they were more interested in the bottom line than the product.”

Something like this is why Kickstarter was started, but of course like everything else the rich are trying to screw the normal person out of it too.

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
again this isnt about supporting Black filmmakers

or him making a movie that has no studio support

he heard from one of his students(he teaches at NYU) that the Veronica Mars movie was funded through Kickstarter and decided to take advantage

he doesnt even have a script or anything he's looking for the money to make a movie thats so far just in his head

he does promise on [his] Mother's Grave and Right Hand to the Almighty that all the money will be used for the film

A Real Negga

4real
Daps
he shoulda put "name in credits" lower maybe like maybe $50. i'd rather have that then a signed dvd .

porque

Boricua Guerrero
Daps
Reppin
Philly #ByrdGang #TPC
he shoulda put "name in credits" lower maybe like maybe $50. i'd rather have that then a signed dvd .
lol you'd be like Bart in that one episode

Eiw7G7I.gif

there's my name right there

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Haven't been keeping up with this thread because I'm getting ready for my business trip to the Motherland :blessed:. But this should be a good read while I'm waiting at the airport.

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
spike gonna be on cnbc talking about kickstarter at 10:20am this morning if any of you are interested