Thanks Tyler Perry! Spike Lee must resort to Kickstarter To Get Next Movie Funded

Kemyran

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
You are missing the point of the outrage. I disagree with the dude who got 5 Million for Veronica Mars, I disagree with ANY established professional getting money off this site. Don't try to turn this into a black man c00ning issue cuz that's not the case with me. The whole point of Kickstarter is to give the little guy a chance to be heard and get his dreams fulfilled. I stated before if Spike wants donations to fund his projects he should create his own website and promote via social media. He has resources the average aspiring filmmaker doesn't. I am an aspiring filmmaker, I've done short films, commercials TV shows etc and have a few backers which is why I'm not on KS soliciting donations. Established professionals need to show some integrity to those trying to get success but no, next Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay will be on their soliciting 50 million for their new films. Hell Kevin Smith backed his first movie, Tyler Perry funded his first couple movies, certain big named actors and actresses have taken pay cuts and even contributed their personal funds to Independent movies with limited capital. He shouldn't use a site such as this to fufill that cause this site is not made for him. 1.2 Million is raised off of other people's money then who gets the profits if it's a major hit?
This is my entire beef with established stars/directors funding their projects off Kickstarter. It's bullshyt. They want everyone else to assume the risk but THEY get to profit. I can see the little indie producer that truly has no access to funds using Kickstarter to get their projects out into the world but you can't tell me that Spike doesn't either have 1.2 million or have personal friends that do or have the ear of decision makers that have it. The problem is that to get that money via traditional means, he has to give up a stake in the project and share the profits. This way, he doesn't. And that's complete and utter bullshyt. This is about greed and nothing more, IMO.

If the end product is good, I'll gladly support by going to go see it. But if you're asking for my money to get it made, then I and anyone else that contributes should become stakeholders and share in the success, just as we'd have to eat that loss if it didn't work.

And Spike is still eating.... he doesn't have to do this and it's nothing he was forced to resort to doing....dude was never this huge, blockbuster director to begin with. He's directing Oldboy and still gets work. This is purely about him jumping on the bandwagon of other people who are trying to get others to pay for their pet projects.

Last edited:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's not "resorting" to it, he WANTED to do it after seeing how successful Zach Braff and Veronica Mars were.

And even if he DID have to resort to it, that's his own fault for making so many box office failures. That has NOTHING to do with Tyler Perry.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also, on the subject of the Veronica Mars movie, that film NEEDED Kickstarter. No studio was gonna pay for that unless they could raise part of the funds themselves.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Why cant Spike Lee make a million dollar film that grosses enough money for him to fund his own projects like Paranormal Activity. He has his roots in independent films.

kevin arnold

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why cant Spike Lee make a million dollar film that grosses enough money for him to fund his own projects like Paranormal Activity. He has his roots in independent films.

that's the thing. he does have enough money to fund this project

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
spike is to filmmaking what "conscious" rappers are to hip hop. message to spike: those big budget movies are not taking money out of your pocket just like Wayne isnt taking money out of canibus/talib's pockets.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
As much as i try to support spike (morehouse man) , its enough like minded people in hollywood to back his ventures. Why did he get blackballed? Why dont he get some dumbass knick player to sponsor a movie?

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
also, one element id like to add to the discussion. people need to stop thinking the machine owes them anything. those hollywood studios are free to finance whatever they want. you're not entitled to their money. if they want to finance movies with the same incestual cliques involved and that all have the same formats and styles, they have a right to. thing with spike lee and people like him is that its never his fault. it's always "them".