Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yahoo and Github also joining the massacre. Github is closing all offices and going full remote
Yeah, this really affects those who need physicality as well as those who need to be in person to smooch. Office personnel.

I really see no need to keep up with physical locations when your content/product is largely/all digital.

A lot of office buildings out there can be converted in places of residence one would think.

Big concrete buildings, no need for shopping no need for working. Got a lot of homeless people out there or people who need cheap housing, why not?

I think a lot of layoffs right now are a result of people seeing what they can accomplish and save going fully remote.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Yahoo and Github also joining the massacre. Github is closing all offices and going full remote
This is what makes the who return to "office" bs.

During the bandemic, "smart" companies got rid of their office space and went fully remote.

Leasing large office space eats into a lot of cost of a business as well.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lets be honest alot of upper management jobs are redundant

Especially fully remote.
i remember wanting to get into a startup type company around 2017 and now i thank god i dodged that bullet. unless you are an engineer there is a good chance you were underpaid so those who got laid off are probably hurting more than the media is letting on.
Well, I mean, startups have many benefits. Typically they're not as rigid so you can do shyt outside of your role and potentially wear many hats. Startups are very good for people who are green and need experience. So you gain a lot of knowledge quickly and can spring board that into your next role.

I wouldn't knock startups at all. Just need to have a plan and don't plan on being there long.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Analysts and engineers are the real ones doing the job most of the time. :yeshrug:

I can tell you more about the data than anyone else, from just setting up a pipeline.
Yup. The majority of these directors and managers can’t even tell you anything about the programs that they are over and instead expect us to have the answers from the data.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Being in upper management, I can tell you that most upper management literally don't do shyt. Like they just create meetings and become shytty project managers, deal with people issues, and have the occasional project that they are responsible for.