Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Being in upper management, I can tell you that most upper management literally don't do shyt. Like they just create meetings and become shytty project managers, deal with people issues, and have the occasional project that they are responsible for.

Sounds like when that mid-2010s oil downturn hit and decimated the gluttony of mid-managers who weren't doing shyt but collecting pay checks, going on paid business trips to Vegas, and hosting extravagant year end company Christmas parties... but couldn't tell you anything about an offshore rig or subsea BOP.

A number of them remained jobless for over a year or so because they literally had no technical skills (oil&gas or otherwise) to interest any company once the protective cronyism was no longer in play.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I'm cool wit being an analyst for now. :hubie:

I was gonna finish my 5 years working overseas with a return to the states in mind for 2024, but now i'm lookin at the recession forecast and all these tech layoffs like :francis:

May have to keep my ass in the camel kingdoms a bit longer and learn some arabic. Wallah

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds like when that mid-2010s oil downturn hit and decimated the gluttony of mid-managers who weren't doing shyt but collecting pay checks, going on paid business trips to Vegas, and hosting extravagant year end company Christmas parties... but couldn't tell you anything about an offshore rig or subsea BOP.

A number of them remained jobless for over a year or so because they literally had no technical skills (oil&gas or otherwise) to interest any company once the protective cronyism was no longer in play.
unfortuantely I also know a lot of people that failed upwards despite being some of the most idiotic unknowledgable people. So I decided to learn what made them fail upwards, and then applied to my own career and my own technical and hands on knowledge and expertise.

What I learned was: Kiss ass, be more about big picture/strategy, be good with people, know how to stay on top of your team to hit goals, and be very very very vocal about your career goals. I know a ton of smart people, the type of people that anyone with domain knowledge would be impressed by, but a lot of these people are dumb as a rock when it comes to corporate politics.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Especially fully remote.

Well, I mean, startups have many benefits. Typically they're not as rigid so you can do shyt outside of your role and potentially wear many hats. Startups are very good for people who are green and need experience. So you gain a lot of knowledge quickly and can spring board that into your next role.

I wouldn't knock startups at all. Just need to have a plan and don't plan on being there long.
not really knocking it. i work in IT so maybe what i'm hearing is different for that field. i feel like you are better off going to an MSP to learn and getting paid market rate or more rather than going to a startup and taking a paycut.

most of the time you have to stay for a minimum number of years to collect your RSUs. it could pay off but i personally rather get exposure through an MSP or joining a smaller IT team instead of dealing with the volatility of a startup and losing out on money. to each his own tho.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Lets be honest alot of upper management jobs are redundant
Something I find hilarious is someone mentioned most of software engineering for corporate products is basically there because people don't know how to use MS Excel.

One of the products we made/released recently was an app that took a company's data and put in a bunch of drop downs, checkboxes, etc. so a customer's management team can track and filter their data and stats better. I'm full stack and I've spent the year literally building out graphical interfaces, pipelining, processing and calculating data with druid/kubernetes instances all to basically do the same shyt some Excel functions do because multiple customers are asking for it. I should just literally send back the Excel function/formula to use.

If somebody over at these places knew their Excel functions, they wouldn't need to pay another company millions of dollars to simply create a program with nicer U.I that basically runs the same calculations available in MS Excel. All the managers on those teams and companies and not a single one knows how to write some Excel functions?

Ironic thing?
The company(ies) asked for a feature : "Can you export this data into a spreadsheet?" :mjlol: :heh: :mjlol: :heh:

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Being in upper management, I can tell you that most upper management literally don't do shyt. Like they just create meetings and become shytty project managers, deal with people issues, and have the occasional project that they are responsible for.
Exactly. They're in meetings all day. Completely useless.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

“Meta managers and directors targeted in the initiative will be told to transition to an “individual contributor” role at the company — such as coding, design or research — or exit altogether, Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the matter. The managers will no longer be responsible for overseeing other employees”
:picard:
The equalizing - everyone of those managers who treated their team like shyt are about to have an ego check when they can’t exert their authority
:deadrose:

Which also means that they weren’t really needed in the first place

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
This is what makes the who return to "office" bs.

During the bandemic, "smart" companies got rid of their office space and went fully remote.

Leasing large office space eats into a lot of cost of a business as well.

Its all for control of the workers, and these companies know that productivity will rapidly decrease. Just hope these,old baby boomers retire and get out of the workforce altogether.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

The ‘Great Resignation’ is now the ‘Great Regret’:​

Damn :mjlol::francis:
Now referred to as “The Great Retaliation”…

It seemed like such a good idea at the time. And yet for those who handed in their notice during the so-called ‘Great Resignation’ of 2021, many have seen little benefit for the upheaval.

Now dubbed the ‘Great Regret’, analysis carried out by payroll and HR experts Paychex found that 80% of people who quit their roles in search of greener pastures regretted the move.

Both job openings and the number of individuals quitting reached record highs during the pandemic, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, counting 4.5 million quitters in November 2021, and job openings reaching more than 11 million a month later.

Andrew Crapuchettes, CEO of Idaho-based recruitment agency Red Balloon, said: “In the Great Resignation employers were throwing huge sign-up bonuses and other wads of cash at job switchers. ‘The Great Regret’ is a lesson for jobseekers to do better advance scouting before they jump ship.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

The ‘Great Resignation’ is now the ‘Great Regret’:​

Damn :mjlol::francis:
Now referred to as “The Great Retaliation”…

It seemed like such a good idea at the time. And yet for those who handed in their notice during the so-called ‘Great Resignation’ of 2021, many have seen little benefit for the upheaval.

Now dubbed the ‘Great Regret’, analysis carried out by payroll and HR experts Paychex found that 80% of people who quit their roles in search of greener pastures regretted the move.

Both job openings and the number of individuals quitting reached record highs during the pandemic, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, counting 4.5 million quitters in November 2021, and job openings reaching more than 11 million a month later.

Andrew Crapuchettes, CEO of Idaho-based recruitment agency Red Balloon, said: “In the Great Resignation employers were throwing huge sign-up bonuses and other wads of cash at job switchers. ‘The Great Regret’ is a lesson for jobseekers to do better advance scouting before they jump ship.

Employers are treating workers like literal opps and see them as domestic terrorists of the economy.

Wink Beaufield

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Southeast DC

I get what the mayor is saying. Either bring folks back into the buildings or sell them off so other entities can take over these empty buildings. A lot of folks want to convert these office buildings into multi use residential units.

As for feds returning back to the office? That genie ain't going back into the bottle. Agencies outside of the NatSec departments are giving folks a minimum of 3 days a week telework.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Really good points about the fact that normally it looks bad when you layoff people because it shows it was a mistake on your end, however if everyone is laying employees off, it looks more "acceptable" to do so.

Additionally:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most hilarious thing is someone mentioned most of software engineering for corporate products is basically there because people don't know how to use MS Excel.

One of the products we made/released recently was an app that took a company's data and put in a bunch of drop downs, checkboxes, etc. so a customer 's management team can track and filter their data and stats better.

If somebody over there knew their Excel functions, they wouldn't need to pay another company millions of dollars to simply create a program with nicer U.I that basically runs the same calculations available in MS Excel. All the managers on that team and not a single one knows how to write some Excel functions?

Ironic thing?
The company asked for a feature : "Can you export this data into a spreadsheet?" :mjlol: :heh: :mjlol: :heh:
It’s shocking how office workers in general do not know how to use excel which can accomplish probably 90% of business intelligence and analytics. I got people thinking I’m an excel wiz cuz I could navigate using keyboard shortcuts and basic vlookups and basic data organization.

I recommend people to be good in excel and basic data analytics. Every office job requires some excel at least.