Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Depending on the position, small companies with tech divisions are looking for talent, so the average out of job rate is maybe 1-3 months (which seems inline with severance packages). Salary may not be at the same rate as BigTech: Reality Check v Pay check.

They cut all business related travel expenses for my dept. a wave of retirements taking place for those with 20+ years in, since the start of the year, hiring freezes - seems like
they’re trying to trim the fat before they butcher the whole cow. They still comp all meal expenses (breakfast + lunch/dinner) for those coming into the physical office to work. (Mandated that Anyone not coming in at Least 3 days a week are getting their office taken away, petty asf 😭🤭 )

Randomly they created a new position and hired a “consultant”, no one knows where she came from, she has no law degree and they’re quiet about what her position description is exactly. Did the research on my own about her background and looks like she’s contracted from an agency that specializes in “operational change” , legal technologies and Business wide efficiencies/strategy 🤦🏾‍♀️

Suffice it to say, if your place of employment hires a “consultant” - that’s a code word for a corporate raider rando who is more likely there to spy and/or decide if your job is “redundant” . Feels like the opening scene from “Margin Call” is looming on the horizon.

Thinking about this the other day -I have like a decade worth of shyt to pack up in my office :mjlol:- then I’m like, im too specialized with the knowledge base, Risk Mgmt/Analysis and Compliance are usually “safe”. I might be paranoid but rather be prepared for worst case scenario, they won’t catch me lacking. 🏃🏾‍♀️Basically I think anyone who Makes it past the chopping block over the next 6-9 months is alright. Massive cuts now as opposed to smaller cuts over an extended period of time.

"If you're the first one out the door , that's not called panic."- John Tudd

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
Folks really thought the CFO's and board was gonna sit back and watch Rank and File workers work remote, make Tiktok videos, get unlimited PTO, make societal changes on their dime and "stick it to the man" I gotta bridge to build for you.

The house always wins. With help from the feds. Get folks back to making what politicians and businesses want, bring back a line of applicants begging for a job, cut back on perks and restore order. Employees being selective, passing on shytty pay and moving on from toxic places? Fukk no.

Perks are for "thee" not "ye".

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Aight aight I hear you not wanting to give too much out about yourself. I was wondering if you were in healthcare or education
Im in healthcare and it may not be as safe as people.

The best breakdown was…..

More unemployed people = more uninsured people going through the ER= more expenses that the hospitals have to eat.

The government is pulling back and starting cut off all the funds they dedicated to healthcare during Covid.

Also nursing pay is starting to “normalize” despite there being a shortage and high turnover rate.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Folks really thought the CFO's and board was gonna sit back and watch Rank and File workers work remote, make Tiktok videos, get unlimited PTO, make societal changes on their dime and "stick it to the man" I gotta bridge to build for you.

The house always wins. With help from the feds. Get folks back to making what politicians and businesses want, bring back a line of applicants begging for a job, cut back on perks and restore order. Employees being selective, passing on shytty pay and moving on from toxic places? Fukk no.

Perks are for "thee" not "ye".
The pendulum always swings back in favor of the employer and it was only a matter of time before it happened.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Older thread, but what other people have said about lay-offs:

I got laid off a few months ago in a mass layoff. My company made the baffling decision to send out a list of everyone who was laid off in a huge spreadsheet.

On that sheet were people I knew for a fact were putting in 70 hour weeks. They still got let go. I myself never had a bad performance review and did them quarterly.

So what you can learn from this is that when the time comes, you are just some row on a spreadsheet to some upper manager who has never met you and knows nothing about how hard you work. Your work ethic will not save your job, and that’s just reality.

I used to work at a smaller company. I came in at 5am and left at 6pm for weeks at a time. The CEO knew me, knew my work ethic, knew I regularly came in before him and left after him... he still laid me off. At the end of the day his choice was related to my skills and the work available to those skills. And he needed more computer engineers and C++ guys and I was an Applications and C# developer and he didn't want to pay to train me in anything else. So he let me go all the same.

Thankfully this was during a booming economy. I was hired again in a few months. But I learned exactly the lesson you learned. Companies don't give a shyt about you. I make sure to spend more time with my family then at work.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you read sites like Blind the layoffs in tech are still ongoing. It will probably take several quarters before the layoffs show up in these employment numbers.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The company i work for is in the top 50ish in tech. I checked internally for positions. They have more out in India than the U.S. Also the division i work for is out of Romania primarily.
At my last two companies the amount of overseas tech workers dwarfed those in the US. We constantly have to babysit them by fixing their mistakes.

And they get preferential treatment by having way less responsibilities than we do. I'm guessing because management pays us more money. But still we're putting in way more hours while doing their work and our own.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Man I love everything she said. Shorty is going to be ok going forward, she had the awakening. These companies don’t give a fukk about you at the end of the day. Get your money and stack. fukk all that dream company, family BULLSHYT!
Anyone over the age of 12 in 2008 should know this already. Big tech folks in paticular live in this delusional bubble where they are sheltered from
The real world.

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
Anyone over the age of 12 in 2008 should know this already. Big tech folks in paticular live in this delusional bubble where they are sheltered from
The real world.
Can you really blame them though breh? Google/Facebook etc.. didn’t even have typical offices, they had a full fledged campus, with free food, laundry and massages :dead:, it’s no wonder they felt like they would never leave that place lol.