Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess it depends on your role and how you view things. I will never feel it’s my job to determine individual value or worth, especially when I’m always working with a team. However, I always have full understanding on how the projects Im working on or have worked on, impact the company.

I also do mainly contracting or short term work so my 5 year plan is never going to include one employer.

I agree with you when you have more traditional views about work, climbing up the ladder, and wanting to stay at a company until you die.

I see where you coming from now. You're right that's also another way to get the bag. On some mercenary for hire shyt. Gimme the project objectives, get out my way so I can get it done, then send my check. Off to the next gig

Knowing the value you bring as a freelance professional is just as important. Unless you're willing to always take what is offered (which will always be on the low end) how do you negotiate? If you can't explain what value you added on your last contract then you're just another body.

Some of the highest payed software developers are freelancers with particular skills. They usually jump-start projects in medium or smaller firms without large engineering budgets and can command large payouts cause they know the value they're adding.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Why Google certs specifically? I was thinking about getting my CCNA and CISSP instead but I really want to know why you said Google certs.
I said those just because they’re probably cheap or free for you to obtain right now since you’re still in college. You should also look into the other certs as well, I believe there’s a big thread about them in higher learning

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Knowing the value you bring as a freelance professional is just as important. Unless you're willing to always take what is offered (which will always be on the low end) how do you negotiate? If you can't explain what value you added on your last contract then you're just another body.

Some of the highest payed software developers are freelancers with particular skills. They usually jump-start projects in medium or smaller firms without large engineering budgets and can command large payouts cause they know the value they're adding.
I don’t negotiate, I do research before looking for a new opportunity using a combination of my skills/education, my financial goals, and the market rate for similar positions. That gets me to a range and I will ask if the job pays that range, if not I won’t even continue the call.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Nobody wants to make less than they are currently earning. Depressing salaries is major concern. Alot of jobs aint paying all that especially when you consider what the job expectations are.
There’s a good chunk paying well but they are mostly niche roles. Agree though, the average is trending way down and employers are tightening the grip on freedom of wfh and big salaries to protect their bottom lines and employee control.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Ultimately, the real worry for everyone should be if Jerome Powell and the FED keep raising rates 75 bps in an obsessive pursuit to curtail low unemployment and inflation.
I think we are in the clear for now

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I think we are in the clear for now

Yeah it’s 1 more 25bp hike then a wait n see what shakes loose. I only need about 6 months and my ship will be ready for cannon fire should the economy go belly up :sadcam:

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I said those just because they’re probably cheap or free for you to obtain right now since you’re still in college. You should also look into the other certs as well, I believe there’s a big thread about them in higher learning
I'm a vet so I get certain tech certs paid off with FEDTev. I'm mostly worried about what certs to get.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
It’s within this bill that they now have 1 year to find work instead of 60 days before deportation

There's a high likelihood a lot of them gonna have to move to places like GA, CO, NC or VA.

Cause that west coast logjam ain't gonna work.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
+transaction fees, service fees, interest, rent. All things that can be categorized as "economic rent". Things that are nothing but overhead. They produce nothing physical. Parasitic in nature.
Some FABs are about ti be built in Ohio and Arizona but majority if the work force there will be asian (TSMC is Taiwanese owned and Intel is just India 2.0)

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California