Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Part of the problem with tech workers too is they thought they were always in the industry because it was high paying and very highly skilled that they would always be the last to let go during an economic downturn because of their unique skill set.

You never see plumbers or electricians laid off though
there is a certain arrogance you see in Tech, even amongst these H1Bs (contrary to the belief many of them come from the top caste and went to the best universities, as people from the lower caste don't get these opportunities and tend to be the ones you see becoming slaves in the Middle East).

Even among the black folks lotta the ones that Are in tech come from a 'different cloth'. Those of us who got it out the mud always laid low, because we didn't have the entitlement complex.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This isn't really the case with tech industry as a whole. As the breh said a few posts ago, big tech does not represent the whole industry. You can't really just paint it with one broad brush. There's a huge shortage of talent in certain sectors (e.g. Cloud, ML/AI, etc.) Anyone with these skills is eating very well right now and foreseeable future. Even if you get let go from a FAANG you would be landing on your feet at another gig shortly for same pay. Sometimes even more
yeah folks don't understand Big Tech is the ELITE of the ELITE. TECH in general has a shortage of workers, and Big Tech employees aren't trying to 'downgrade' and work for Non Tech companies who don't even give bonuses let alone RSUs

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That head down mentality doesn't make sense if you want a long lasting lucrative career. It's very important to understand and know what value you and your role brings to the company.

This helps you in salary negotiations and when you want to make the case to justify why you deserve a certain raise.

Also understanding whether your role is more or less likely to fit with the company's current or future strategy.

Even if you do let go you should be able to articulate what value you brought to the company when you're interviewing for the next gig.
I guess it depends on your role and how you view things. I will never feel it’s my job to determine individual value or worth, especially when I’m always working with a team. However, I always have full understanding on how the projects Im working on or have worked on, impact the company.

I also do mainly contracting or short term work so my 5 year plan is never going to include one employer.

I agree with you when you have more traditional views about work, climbing up the ladder, and wanting to stay at a company until you die.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
I guess it depends on your role and how you view things. I will never feel it’s my job to determine individual value or worth, especially when I’m always working with a team. However, I always have full understanding on how the projects Im working on or have worked on, impact the company.

I also do mainly contracting or short term work so my 5 year plan is never going to include one employer.

I agree with you when you have more traditional views about work, climbing up the ladder, and wanting to stay at a company until you die.
I see where you coming from now. You're right that's also another way to get the bag. On some mercenary for hire shyt. Gimme the project objectives, get out my way so I can get it done, then send my check. Off to the next gig

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there is a certain arrogance you see in Tech, even amongst these H1Bs (contrary to the belief many of them come from the top caste and went to the best universities, as people from the lower caste don't get these opportunities and tend to be the ones you see becoming slaves in the Middle East).

Even among the black folks lotta the ones that Are in tech come from a 'different cloth'. Those of us who got it out the mud always laid low, because we didn't have the entitlement complex.
Yeah. You wanna see some big tech arrogance, go over to teamblind.com

nikkas living in a whole different galaxy than the rest of the world. “Oh yo broke ass only got $175k TC for a full remote gig with 2 years of experience :bryan:

Robo Squirrel

CEO @ Squirrel Burger: Fish & Chips
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Francisco, CA
Meta had crazy growth of employees for the past few years and Zuck during June interview mentioned that meta has a lot of useless employees

Remember seeing all those people posting on TikTok showing how their regular day looked very chill, where they work by the pool or hang out all day and make 100k. Seems like a lot of those jobs are going to get hit
Good.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Big Tech ≠ Tech industry. Payrolls continue to expand and the labor market is still tight due to the large gulf left by boomers dying/retiring (a time bomb the mainstream has ignored) during the pandemic. Gen x and Gen z are small generations and can't help replace the roles boomers left 1:1 and so you have more roles than people. It sucks to be let loose but citizens (not h1b) should land on their feet if they actually hunt. MAANG/FAANG is in a hiring freeze and laying off but there are plenty of technical roles in other industries that are still hiring and eager to scoop up what they deem as "high level MAANG/FAANG engineers". Look at the LinkedIn comments of any the laid off MAANG/FAANG workers and its just 100s of comments begging them to apply at xyz. No, you won't get those outrageous RSUs and signing bonuses but will still be paid well above what the median American's total comp is. Ultimately, the real worry for everyone should be if Jerome Powell and the FED keep raising rates 75 bps in an obsessive pursuit to curtail low unemployment and inflation.
The money will not be the same.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
What's C2C? Also you're right. They're even in Atlanta now. I remember seeing a lot of them twitter wanting Stacy Abrams to win. I thought "why would an Indian want a black candidate to win over a white one :mjlol:?". I then realized that Stacy abrams was very pro immigration compared go the CAC :francis:. Nothing wring with immigration but they really trying to turn thr south into San jose.
Corp to Corp

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I don't feel you can be high performing and worry about being let go at the same time. It's also not an employees job to measure their value to the company, their job is to do their job. Focus on your own goals and the path ahead of you. Constantly living in fear is stressful af! The only fear I have is not meeting my own personal goals. I really DGAF about an employer for real.

I've also been unemployed multiple times throughout my life, fired, laid off and/or quit, so my fear of being without work dissipated a while ago. Bills don't care where the money came from as long as they get paid.
This, the people in the early 20’s like us during the 08 recession have been through this shyt before and know the drill already. Battle hardened lol. We earned our stripes and like you said bill collectors dgaf where the money comes from as long as they get paid.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
An issue too that doesn't get a lot of attention is in these tech layoffs a lot of these workers on are visas and were on only work visas to stay here, not a standard green card.

Gonna be a whole lot of deportations. And tears.
While that was true in the past a law just passed a couple months ago giving H1B holders 1 full year instead of 2 months to find work again.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
When you’re being paid more than 95% of the country, you’ll find ways to survive.
I agree, especially if you live below your means and save properly. Hopefully I can weather this storm like the rest since I took a little risk keeping our first house to rent while holding some decaying debt. Worst that happens is my credit goes to shyt but I hold onto all my assets :pachaha:

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Big Tech ≠ Tech industry. Payrolls continue to expand and the labor market is still tight due to the large gulf left by boomers dying/retiring (a time bomb the mainstream has ignored) during the pandemic. Gen x and Gen z are small generations and can't help replace the roles boomers left 1:1 and so you have more roles than people. It sucks to be let loose but citizens (not h1b) should land on their feet if they actually hunt. MAANG/FAANG is in a hiring freeze and laying off but there are plenty of technical roles in other industries that are still hiring and eager to scoop up what they deem as "high level MAANG/FAANG engineers". Look at the LinkedIn comments of any the laid off MAANG/FAANG workers and its just 100s of comments begging them to apply at xyz. No, you won't get those outrageous RSUs and signing bonuses but will still be paid well above what the median American's total comp is. Ultimately, the real worry for everyone should be if Jerome Powell and the FED keep raising rates 75 bps in an obsessive pursuit to curtail low unemployment and inflation.

Nobody wants to make less than they are currently earning. Depressing salaries is major concern. Alot of jobs aint paying all that especially when you consider what the job expectations are.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
The money will not be the same.

Let me reiterate: "No, you won't get those outrageous RSUs and signing bonuses but will still be paid well above what the median American's total comp is."

Nobody wants to make less than they are currently earning. Depressing salaries is major concern. Alot of jobs aint paying all that especially when you consider what the job expectations are.

That is life. We are in a global downturn with a demographic crisis, 2 world powers trying to separate from each other, and the pandemic boom that fueled Big Tech's coffers is done....not to mention AI/ML is being integrated into production environments. The global growth enjoyed the past 20 years will not be enjoyed the next 10-20 so kick and scream but a new normal is arriving.