Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/12
Just heard of a utilities government company that is going bankrupt after their IT arm went all-in on Scrum and SAFe, rewrote a billing system, and that billing system got delayed long enough that they could not collect revenue, and ran out of money.

Oh man.

2/12
(It's Waternet in the Netherlands. Getting more details as this could have impact on over 1 million households in Amsterdam. Pretty wild)

3/12
"No one got fired for choosing SAFe" vs "SAFe will not save you when you are not competent enough to do decent work"

4/12
Yes main issue seemed to be the full rewrite.

Just heard how much time and effort this place spent on the SAFe transformation.

It sounds like they focused on the nonimportant stuff (process), and not the important thing (keep operating & collect money)

5/12
This is what I have heard so far. #2 and #3 is public information, #1 I collected from someone formerly at the company

6/12
Holy moly: a 6-year outage?!!

Invoicing sytem migration started to go wrong in 2020, and expected clearing of arrears will take till 2026, as per an article a year ago.

I have too many questions. This makes no sense... Translation from this article:

Directeur krijgt it-lek niet boven bij Waternet - Computable.nl

7/12
It's just hard for me to imagine people in a room going

"So, we have a problem with our invoicing system. We are not invoicing people on time, or correct. But we have a fix in sight."

"Okay, how long?"

"6 years."

"Midway we'll go bankrupt. But please proceed like that."

8/12
“What is arrears?” It’s a term for money owed but not paid. For most businesses it’s about money customers refused / evaded paying.

For this utilities company: it’s money they failed to invoice for years (that ppl would pay!), despite this failure bankrupting them.

An example:

9/12
Thank you! Yes, a few people shared how they got 2021 water bills in 2023. So sounds like a 1-2 year-long delay in sending out 2021 water bills...

10/12
Right? SO frustrating when it's about actually important/critical stuff (utilities) vs commercial (showing more ads etc)

Commercial still gets things more right than not in terms of reliabbility, thanks to the very clear monetary pressure and competition taking away customers

11/12
The details I gathered is Waternet went ahead with a full billing system rewrite. That rewrite got delayed, was buggy and they couldn't collect money due.

Some ppl I know got collections notices for 2021 fees in 2023 (that was just not collected from them, not even notified)

12/12
In this case, billing (invoicing) IS a big part of their core business! They need to calculate the water bill for each resident based on regulations and other input. I think ~1.4M local households. This is a water utility provider.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GPBEOjWWwAAHfRX.jpg

GPAV0jjXgAETijv.jpg

GPJxhBmWcAAPbvj.png

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Theory and practice two different things.

The problem is more so greed.

I doubt the people being let go, is due to a lack of learning to utilize and implement AI vs stakeholders pushing for higher returns by cutting labor.

AI isn’t perfect, and tbh generative ai does little to nothing for me vs stack overflow.

The models being trained, are really just creating shyttier models, rather than improving.

Greed will be the ultimate undoing/ human job security for us.

We actually should all be hoping for some big ai fukk ups. Which I believe will happen eventually.

i few months ago i spent 3-4 hours trying to get LLM's to build a powershell app but it could never get a command i needed right. I then decided to ask it to figurr out the command in a separate chat, i needed a command to output a list of open folders and their paths from explorer.exe. i gave the same prompt request to multiple LLM's and wasn't able to get a working command, after after 3-4 hours i decided to google the command and found it on stackoverflow within 3-5 minutes, I wish I had started there but I just made a request to copilot which uses a version of gpt-4o and it worked on the first try. these LLM's are improving in some areas so I think their value will increase.

1jqTyxM.png

Certainly! To list all open File Explorer windows and their paths using PowerShell, you can use the following script:
Code:
@((New-Object -com shell.application).Windows()).Document.Folder | Select-Object Title, { $_.Self.Path }

This command retrieves information about the currently open folders and displays their titles along with their full paths. Feel free to give it a try! 😊12

Source: Conversation with Copilot, 6/4/2024
(1) Powershell script to list all open Explorer windows. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58783530/powershell-script-to-list-all-open-explorer-windows.
(2) How to get which folders are currently open in explorer?. https://superuser.com/questions/1699488/how-to-get-which-folders-are-currently-open-in-explorer.
(3) how to open a folder within Powershell - Stack Overflow. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8471106/how-to-open-a-folder-within-powershell.
(4) Is it possible to open a Windows Explorer window from PowerShell?. Is it possible to open a Windows Explorer window from PowerShell?.

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps

1/12
Just heard of a utilities government company that is going bankrupt after their IT arm went all-in on Scrum and SAFe, rewrote a billing system, and that billing system got delayed long enough that they could not collect revenue, and ran out of money.

Oh man.

2/12
(It's Waternet in the Netherlands. Getting more details as this could have impact on over 1 million households in Amsterdam. Pretty wild)

3/12
"No one got fired for choosing SAFe" vs "SAFe will not save you when you are not competent enough to do decent work"

4/12
Yes main issue seemed to be the full rewrite.

Just heard how much time and effort this place spent on the SAFe transformation.

It sounds like they focused on the nonimportant stuff (process), and not the important thing (keep operating & collect money)

5/12
This is what I have heard so far. #2 and #3 is public information, #1 I collected from someone formerly at the company

6/12
Holy moly: a 6-year outage?!!

Invoicing sytem migration started to go wrong in 2020, and expected clearing of arrears will take till 2026, as per an article a year ago.

I have too many questions. This makes no sense... Translation from this article:

Directeur krijgt it-lek niet boven bij Waternet - Computable.nl

7/12
It's just hard for me to imagine people in a room going

"So, we have a problem with our invoicing system. We are not invoicing people on time, or correct. But we have a fix in sight."

"Okay, how long?"

"6 years."

"Midway we'll go bankrupt. But please proceed like that."

8/12
“What is arrears?” It’s a term for money owed but not paid. For most businesses it’s about money customers refused / evaded paying.

For this utilities company: it’s money they failed to invoice for years (that ppl would pay!), despite this failure bankrupting them.

An example:

9/12
Thank you! Yes, a few people shared how they got 2021 water bills in 2023. So sounds like a 1-2 year-long delay in sending out 2021 water bills...

10/12
Right? SO frustrating when it's about actually important/critical stuff (utilities) vs commercial (showing more ads etc)

Commercial still gets things more right than not in terms of reliabbility, thanks to the very clear monetary pressure and competition taking away customers

11/12
The details I gathered is Waternet went ahead with a full billing system rewrite. That rewrite got delayed, was buggy and they couldn't collect money due.

Some ppl I know got collections notices for 2021 fees in 2023 (that was just not collected from them, not even notified)

12/12
In this case, billing (invoicing) IS a big part of their core business! They need to calculate the water bill for each resident based on regulations and other input. I think ~1.4M local households. This is a water utility provider.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GPBEOjWWwAAHfRX.jpg

GPAV0jjXgAETijv.jpg

GPJxhBmWcAAPbvj.png

Reading this shyt is giving me PTSD lol. I mentioned my old company and how it was originally written using Silverlight which was no longer going to be supported in about a year and a half. The Dev manager gave a time estimate of like 2 months to have the site rewritten to something else. Fast forward six months and it's still only like 10% done. I'm informing anybody who would listen that we are not hitting our deadline. I'm told I'm being alarmist and to relax. Two months before the deadline and we still are only like 25% done, now we had to completely pull teams from two other projects in a panic to try and hit the deadline before our site is dead in the water. These two other projects are also about technical debt and needing to be rewritten from scratch. That was at the time I left the company but as far as I heard our site was just flat out down for a couple of months which lead to a lot of lost revenue all because we had idiot managers who were promoted due to nepotism. When I pointed out how inept she was it was painted as if I had some personal vendetta against her. The thing was is that I really liked her as a person but she was just unqualified and fukking up. Eventually after I left a bunch of shyt blew up in their faces she was finally demoted back down. Meanwhile the same people I had try to make aware of the situation kept their positions and pretended like they had no idea this was going on.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Reading this shyt is giving me PTSD lol. I mentioned my old company and how it was originally written using Silverlight which was no longer going to be supported in about a year and a half. The Dev manager gave a time estimate of like 2 months to have the site rewritten to something else. Fast forward six months and it's still only like 10% done. I'm informing anybody who would listen that we are not hitting our deadline. I'm told I'm being alarmist and to relax. Two months before the deadline and we still are only like 25% done, now we had to completely pull teams from two other projects in a panic to try and hit the deadline before our site is dead in the water. These two other projects are also about technical debt and needing to be rewritten from scratch. That was at the time I left the company but as far as I heard our site was just flat out down for a couple of months which lead to a lot of lost revenue all because we had idiot managers who were promoted due to nepotism. When I pointed out how inept she was it was painted as if I had some personal vendetta against her. The thing was is that I really liked her as a person but she was just unqualified and fukking up. Eventually after I left a bunch of shyt blew up in their faces she was finally demoted back down. Meanwhile the same people I had try to make aware of the situation kept their positions and pretended like they had no idea this was going on.

Can relate to this we’re in the process of switching to the cloud and it’s been going as expected.

We have very similar outcomes and expectations as you.

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.

I’ve seen this first hand, unchecked they have NO PROBLEM hiring 100% of folks that look just like them. White people ain’t shyt, but some are at least somewhat cognizant of historical context and realize they can’t have an entire team of all White Dudes. Asians and Indians DGAF :mjlol:

You can tell the companies and teams like this by a quick LinkedIn search. No black folk

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ve seen this first hand, unchecked they have NO PROBLEM hiring 100% of folks that look just like them. White people ain’t shyt, but some are at least somewhat cognizant of historical context and realize they can’t have an entire team of all White Dudes. Asians and Indians DGAF :mjlol:

You can tell the companies and teams like this by a quick LinkedIn search. No black folk

It's always no more than 1

round 1...recruiter screening call
2...hiring manager (VP level)
3...3 person stakeholder call #1
4...3 person stakeholder call #2
5...CSO/CTO

Many companies don't even want black people on a single team. I made it through five rounds (nine individuals) to be the inaugural hire for a black VP building out his team. I received great feedback after each round, but I didn't get the role because of budget reasons.

It would've been the first time in my 12-year career I'm reporting to someone who looks like me smh

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Literally me right now lol...which is a big part as to why I'm trying to leave smh
Incompetent management with a fragmented, short-sighted, and limited POV.
Constantly prioritizing fast and cheap while ignoring best practices.
Regurgitating my plans, outlook, and insights.
Passing off my work, and others as their own.
Attempting to gatekeep access to key business stakeholders.

Similiar to...

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Americans have been totally sold out smfh.
I wass in an uber in the bay area sometime last year. Driver was this old Asian guy who barely spoke a lick of English. We got to talking and dude explained that he was a former software engineer at Western Digital and that he had graduated from a certain state school in the area 20 years ago :dead:. Dude was retired and just driving uber on the side. AsI said before,I struggled understanding a single word he said, shyt was wild. The bay area is something else.