Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Ah, I gotcha.

And yeah lol, I'm kind of low-balling myself because I'd have 10 years of SCM experience, a degree, and certs. Most managers in the field probably don't have that much experience.

"Running a shop?"
Office/shop/section/etc the lingo changes building to building

but honestly the shyt services do to help people transition is just fukked up in general - especially considering that a lot of the old heads simply can't adapt to life outside of iraq and afghanistan. if your information and skills stay current, it'll mean significantly more than time in service to any organization worth joining.

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
Stem gang don't have to worry about this, oh wait.

Can't sit by watching everyone else suffer and think nothing's ever going to happen to you/

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And somebody on here claimed I was full of it when I said tech layoffs would explode.
:mjlol:
Probably got laid off his damn self already.

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Thread summarized by ChatGPT:
Based on the text provided, it seems that the author is suggesting that the job market is deteriorating. This is indicated by a number of macroeconomic indicators, including a low pace of real-economy money creation as measured by the TMC Global Credit Impulse index and the dramatic tightening of US financial conditions in 2022. The text also mentions that these trends are likely to lead to a weaker labor market in 2023, with US non-farm payrolls (NFPs) expected to quickly converge to zero in the first half of 2023. Additionally, the text notes that when similar trends have been prevalent in the past in the US and Europe, risk assets (investments that carry a higher level of risk but also have the potential for higher returns) have had a hard time.

AI (such as ChatGPT) ain't going to make this any better.

Our biggest mistake is not having any kind of legislation to deal with A.I RIGHT NOW.

We've officially fallen behind. This should have been addressed back in the last 2010's when serious UBI discussion was first brought up.

Manual labor and trades ain't safe either. They just got small robots out there fixing pipes now :wow:

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Way too much too fast
True.. but the better question is, when the dust settles, what’s the % hired during the run up vs laid off at the plateau?

Businesses grew at a much faster that normal pace, and it made sense to throw money at staffing to onboard new clients or expand operations and worry about it later as not doing so would cost you growth/revenue/market share.

Some companies spun up whole new departments that were only needed to facilitate the paradigm shift in labor during the pandemic. Now that growth has slowed, they’re gonna cut back on these. Other companies found new revenue streams and are gonna replace or restructure their weaker performing non-critical departments with these.

One thing that did happen though, was companies realized that tech was no longer a cost center or line item on a spreadsheet that they need to reduce because they could not justify the expense, but it’s now a critical part of business.

The fed is still fukking with the rates trying to get inflation under control and they don’t care about asset prices which is what shareholders care about most, so companies are gonna try their best to appease them and payroll is always the first on the chopping block.

People are gonna lose jobs, but unless we get a full blown recession, most of this is overblown.

As long as you have an in demand skillset and an emergency fund to float you during the job hunt, you’ll be fine.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I'd assume we'd see more startups enter the fold now that some of those tech workers at the big companies have been laid off.