Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
1. There is an incredible bias against office/tech jobs on here. I'm not sure whether it's a hotep thing or something else. There is no reason why the answer to layoffs in big tech (I'm talking FAANG/Silicon Valley) is trade work. nikka, what? You're talking about 2 distinct types of work and talent.

2. Big tech is definitely hurting. However there is still a massive demand for STEM talent in traditional industries. Healthcare, manufacturing, infrastructure, government, education... they need tech talent to become better at what they do. Will they pay as much as big tech does? No. But they still will pay a lot of money.

3. Trades should definitely be encouraged for high school students as an alternative to a more traditional college route. But too often they are spoken of as easy alternatives. Becoming a good tradesperson is hard work. Learning, apprenticeship, certifications... A lazy mofo who coasts through college isn't likely to be an excellent tradesperson easily pulling 6 figures.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
Yea this why imma just stay GS gang for the rest of my career.

That fed job security is clutch
I'll be right there witcha in 5 years, fam:wow:.

The pay is usually less than the non-fed equivalent, but that security of knowing you won't be suddenly let go must be amazing.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'll be right there witcha in 5 years, fam:wow:.

The pay is usually less than the non-fed equivalent, but that security of knowing you won't be suddenly let go must be amazing.

The only negative is having to go unpaid during government shutdowns... Do workers impacted during those times get back pay?

HabitualChiller

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
The only negative is having to go unpaid during government shutdowns... Do workers impacted during those times get back pay?
As far as I know, fukk no.

When I was on shore duty, the civilians that I worked with just wouldn't show up [if the government had shutdown] because they weren’t going to get compensated.

So, yes, that is the only negative...besides the low pay at GS-7 and below.

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Even if I get out as an E-5?

I'll leave with a bachelor's and some supply certs.

Usually the kats that hit E-7 - E-9 with connections get the GS-11 and up slots.
One of the most common themes for guys when they get out and hop into the civ/contractor world is that they're more than happy to settle for anything generally close to their job military description - and going into it thinking that everything else will fall into place once they get a foot in the door.

Don't talk yourself into that. People lowball themselves like crazy and then let organizations underpay them or worse have them doing mid-level work at a junior-level position or slot which cheats you out of opportunities and resume bullets.

I'm saying all this from experience too. I was not set up for success and to figure a lot of this stuff out as I went. A 'bachelors and some supply certs' will have you running a shop somewhere lol.

HabitualChiller

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
One of the most common themes for guys when they get out and hop into the civ/contractor world is that they're more than happy to settle for anything generally close to their job military description - and going into it thinking that everything else will fall into place once they get a foot in the door.

Don't talk yourself into that. People lowball themselves like crazy and then let organizations underpay them or worse have them doing mid-level work at a junior-level position or slot which cheats you out of opportunities and resume bullets.

I'm saying all this from experience too. I was not set up for success and to figure a lot of this stuff out as I went. A 'bachelors and some supply certs' will have you running a shop somewhere lol.
Ah, I gotcha.

And yeah lol, I'm kind of low-balling myself because I'd have 10 years of SCM experience, a degree, and certs. Most managers in the field probably don't have that much experience.

"Running a shop?"