Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
You’re conflating things. Big Tech is not Tech. The tech industry overall is alot closer to understaffed than over saturated . Hell Big Tech had to lower their standards a shyt ton to even get to the staffing levels they’re at today.

When I first wanted to break into tech, the job requirements were brutal as fukk. They literally used to say stuff like “don’t apply if you didn’t graduate from a top 10 computer science program in the country”. There’s still some of that in the more advanced/emerging sectors but now you can get into the biggest tech companies in the world with a HS diploma.

Their are alot of tech roles that will fade as the years go by and automation progresses but tech and its influence in our lives will only increase. There’s a reason that schools are including advanced tech topics in their curriculums now.

Exactly tech is

- laying fiberoptic lines
- electric batteries
- robots and assembly lines/drones
- space/NASA
- energy conversion

Folks gotta get the Jack Dorsey's outta their head with tech.

There was an article like 7 years ago that the jobs that need filling the most are like folks who read and gage the temperature and stability of nuclear facilities and shyt.

Those places ain't posting on Indeed, etc. They got a pipeline directly to community colleges or trade schools. They ain't going thru 10,000 unqualified resumes.

We were taught the wrong skills growing up.

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
You’re conflating things. Big Tech is not Tech.

This. I see this a lot while browsing Reddit and future developers/people wanting to get into Tech are worried they'll have to compete with FAANG developers due to the lay offs.

Most of the responses are from developers saying people from those companies are not looking to apply to the same job as *you* and most companies are not paying anywhere near what those companies are.

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
And electrician. My cousin is one and EATS. Gets sent all across the country no matter what the economy. You can do side jobs, small business, homes, commercial, industrial or transition to automotive, rail or aerospace.
:wow: nicca eating on the low and have skills that will always be needed.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This. I see this a lot while browsing Reddit and future developers/people wanting to get into Tech are worried they'll have to compete with FAANG developers due to the lay offs.

Most of the responses are from developers saying people from those companies are not looking to apply to the same job as *you* and most companies are not paying anywhere near what those companies are.
Facts. Hint for Chicago area folks: Two areas of tech, healthcare and universities, are hiring like mad. If you are looking at 200k "Day in the life" ass jobs where white people play ping pong and go to the bar nightly, that is the industry that is shrinking.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Word is a major cyber security company is losing 25% of its staff this/next week.

This one will be huge as I got people working there and I’m sure they haven’t even heard, as we were told by accident.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Exactly tech is

- laying fiberoptic lines
- electric batteries
- robots and assembly lines/drones
- space/NASA
- energy conversion

Folks gotta get the Jack Dorsey's outta their head with tech.

There was an article like 7 years ago that the jobs that need filling the most are like folks who read and gage the temperature and stability of nuclear facilities and shyt.

Those places ain't posting on Indeed, etc. They got a pipeline directly to community colleges or trade schools. They ain't going thru 10,000 unqualified resumes.

We were taught the wrong skills growing up.
Real talk I’ve been trying to get a job in the renewables industry

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
As bad as this sounds

Companies are responding to the artificial demand the pandemic brought on.

Did anyone think Pelaton was gonna keep selling $5k bikes when gyms opened back up? Or everyone was gonna Doordash and sit at home? Or houses was gonna sell at 100k more than asking?

There's literally 10-15 too many streaming services too. Hence why AMC is going t*ts up.

The supply chain backlog cleared so Amazon and them don't need all them extra folks either.

It's actually going back to the way it was supposed to be.
A lot these companies have tripled their staff from 2019 to 2022.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Defense or government work. The US will never stop buying weapons, even if we had a 90% homeless rate and until the far-right nazis topple our government, you have pretty good job security in government.

govt i suggest once you got experience and looking to coast to retirement vs early career cause the work is uninteresting (they usually reach out to big tech/ISVs/etc to handle the innovative shyt).