Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
This article further proves that there is 0 way for ai to REPAIR the system, which is why I sleep well at night :ahh:

“AI algorithms optimize HVAC system operation by continuously analyzing and adapting to real-time conditions. By considering factors such as outdoor temperature, occupancy patterns, and thermal loads, AI-powered systems adjust settings dynamically, maximizing energy efficiency. This leads to reduced energy consumption, lower utility bills, and a smaller carbon footprint.”

optimizing is one thing, lemme know when a robot can go on a rooftop / attic / in a physical location and fix equipment :ahh:
ezgif-4-c6d9ae4505.gif

Your days are numbered meat bag :ufdup:

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
AIs can already read images.

Get an infrared scan of my house or the part or location I wish to install. put that scan through an AI application and it will tell me exactly how to install the system.

So spending thousands of hvac tech will not be needed within 5 years
young fella i couldnt tell you how wrong you are

:dead: @cheek100 this guy thinks he can install a whole hvac system on his own :dead:

like i said @ me when the robots are mass produced and easily affordable, then i’ll actually take the convo seriously

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
young fella i couldnt tell you how wrong you are

:dead: @cheek100 this guy thinks he can install a whole hvac system on his own :dead:

like i said @ me when the robots are mass produced and easily affordable, then i’ll actually take the convo seriously
:yeshrug: just saying it wont be that assured.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Intuit reached out because they're interested in hiring a Senior Engineer.

I don't know, I actually saw some people get laid off from Intuit recently with 8-10 years there as a senior engineer. That shyt was off-putting. Them now looking for senior engineers a few month later basically tells me they're a revolving door.
I wonder if other people out there feel the same and are hesitant for these new opportunities knowing these companies have been mercilessly cutting people with zero warning.

Additionally, I don't feel like doing the whole Leetcode grinding thing right now (taking a break to focus on other things), so it was a pass.
I forgot what company it was but one reached out to me. Would be a salary bump of 15K. I started researching the company and seen they just had two rounds of layoffs (about 10% of the company each time). That immediately made me pass.
You should never, under any circumstance, trust anything an executive says at a company. Never. Ever. Not even remotely one time. Executives will say whatever they think they need to say, to get you to do what they need you to do, and never anything else.

I haven't been to a town hall call at my company in years, and as a director its actual part of my job to be on town hall calls...and i still don't do it.

The whole idea of those calls is :mjlol: . The same person who lies to you about every aspect of a company is going to tell you what...exactly?:mjlol:
Facts. I had worked directly with the CEO of the last company I was at and knew how he moved. I was on his shyt list because I trashed one of his golden boys David to both of their faces. I was ignored. I had been overworking myself to keep the division functioning. After the meeting with the two of them I said fukk all that and took a step back and went back to working from home. The entire division tanked to the point that they to demote his golden boy down to the lowest level support role. This MF gets on a call and says that he was shocked to find out how incompetent David was even though he had been told the exact same thing by me and a few others in a meeting a year earlier. Dude lied like it wasn't shyt.
no. because i'll likely only be there 2 years max at my own discretion anyways plus you can always OE.
That sounds good but I had a friend that jumped to a company like that. A higher average salary than expected. They had a severance policy where you qualify after one year. They were having layoffs and he kept wondering how he wasn't one of them. Right at 11 months before he'd qualify for severance they laid his ass off too. Took him another 3-4 months to find work again. In this climate with so many layoffs it's a lot more competition to get a new job and I've been seeing some damn good workers that left the stable job for the new opportunity and now still looking for work half a year later.

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:yeshrug: just saying it wont be that assured.
Man TRAINED and EDUCATED techs literally Die / damn near die in the field

Im being honest when i say ai not helping you with none of this stuff fam

that being said I do recognize that robots plus ai in 15-25 years will def be able to do some stuff no doubt

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
This article further proves that there is 0 way for ai to REPAIR the system, which is why I sleep well at night :ahh:

“AI algorithms optimize HVAC system operation by continuously analyzing and adapting to real-time conditions. By considering factors such as outdoor temperature, occupancy patterns, and thermal loads, AI-powered systems adjust settings dynamically, maximizing energy efficiency. This leads to reduced energy consumption, lower utility bills, and a smaller carbon footprint.”

optimizing is one thing, lemme know when a robot can go on a rooftop / attic / in a physical location and fix equipment :ahh:
While I think you'll be safe for a while, AI will eventually effect that type of position as well. It's all a domino effect. While the workers will be need to physically install the systems, AI can help the systems run more efficiently or diagnose problems quicker. That means that each individual tech would be able to fix more systems as they know the exact problem before getting on site which will lead to companies employing less techs and expecting each tech to work on more systems per day since they can be fixed faster.

I don't see that happening any time soon but downstream 15-20 years that job can be affected just like any other.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
That sounds good but I had a friend that jumped to a company like that. A higher average salary than expected. They had a severance policy where you qualify after one year. They were having layoffs and he kept wondering how he wasn't one of them. Right at 11 months before he'd qualify for severance they laid his ass off too. Took him another 3-4 months to find work again. In this climate with so many layoffs it's a lot more competition to get a new job and I've been seeing some damn good workers that left the stable job for the new opportunity and now still looking for work half a year later.

Thats why I brought up OE (overemployed). If you choose to work at a company with high turnover, its the only smart strategy.

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
While I think you'll be safe for a while, AI will eventually effect that type of position as well. It's all a domino effect. While the workers will be need to physically install the systems, AI can help the systems run more efficiently or diagnose problems quicker. That means that each individual tech would be able to fix more systems as they know the exact problem before getting on site which will lead to companies employing less techs and expecting each tech to work on more systems per day since they can be fixed faster.

I don't see that happening any time soon but downstream 15-20 years that job can be affected just like any other.
Agreed :ehh:

I say 15-25 years

and thats if the robots CAN drive themselves to jobsites n shyt

and if political forces dont put a stop to it

would be a shame if all the human techs were on code to sabotage the robot units :shaq: (knows that will happen)
Im not worried atm :ahh:

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
Its the complete opposite here in the cleared world. These defense contractors are hiring like crazy. They can't outsource these jobs so no FOB Panjeets/Changs to worry about and there ain't enough cleared folks to replace these boomers. If you are in networking/cyber, an American citizen, and you have a clean record...come get this contractor money brehs:blessed:

Booz Allen/Leidos/Lockheed/GDIT/AWS Cleared/Rtx/etc. All have thousands of postings.

I might stay in defense/aerospace for the rest of my career just because of the job security. I did a stint in the private sector and although the higher pay + less bureaucracy were nice, it felt like we were living from earnings report to earnings report. One bad quarter and murmurs of layoffs started popping up. And the work-life balance was way worse, working extra time each week with no OT or EWW.

I'm back in defense now and every program here is trying to add engineers.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm on a company town hall now with the CEO talking about how many jobs our competitors have cut in the last few months while pretending we didn't do the same lol. Makes it hard to trust them when they say that we won't be doing the same again.
Exactly. Everybody is looking at exit strategies. Nobody trusts a damn thing they say.

I tune in for the lies :mjgrin: . At my last one they were happy to inform us of several Nap strike teams being approved to lower the cost of development. But they're not there to replace anyone :whoa:
They blinded everybody in pretty much every tech field in our firm ranging from our software engineers , to our data scientists, to our cyber security people, to the web dev folks.

Even the IT folks were screwed over. Our help desk now connects to India :dead:

The most demonic thing is that the change is so drastic that they were obviously planning this sht for months . Can you believe Our tech director congratulated a junior dev about finally buying a house less than 2 weeks ago, knowing damn well this dude was going to the unemployment line by the end of the month? :wow:

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
like i said, @ me when they are mass produced and easily affordable

robots will be a force in 15-25 years
To be fair, I think it'll be a combination of robots and modern manufacturing. For example the way China is making modular buildings with modern best practices. I really don't think we're going to stand them around and build that quickly without doing the same thing.

What machinery can do right now (like at plants and centers) is batshyt insane when you think about it. Modern machines have been outperforming tasks that humans think they can do better already.

Humans consistently find ways to optimize and replace. They're working on shapeshifting robots, swarms, etc. It's not so much about 1 robot, but when you can have a swarm of robots working together in complete synced communication that can morph into tight places (or deploy smaller robots), use equipment, slip out then fly back to base shyt will be so efficient top-to-bottom.

Do I think it'll replace all trade work? Nope. In the same way it won't replace all desk work. However, what it will replace some jobs in the trade fields and make many more efficient which will create big competition for the other jobs. The best tradesmen will learn how to use these robots to assist them with work rather than hire someone younger.

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
To be fair, I think it'll be a combination of robots and modern manufacturing. For example the way China is making modular buildings. I really don't think we're going to stand them around and build that quickly without doing the same thing.

What machinery can do right now (like at plants and centers) is batshyt insane when you think about it. Modern machines have been outperforming tasks that humans think they can do better already.

Humans consistently find ways to optimize and replace. They're working on shapeshifting robots, swarms, etc. It's not so much about 1 robot, but when you can have a swarm of robots working together in complete synced communication that can morph into tight places (or deploy smaller robots), use equipment, slip out then fly back to base shyt will be so efficient top-to-bottom.

Do I think it'll replace all trade work? Nope. In the same way it won't replace all desk work. However, what it will replace some jobs in the trade fields and make many more efficient which will create big competition for the other jobs. The best tradesmen will learn how to use these robots to assist them with work rather than hire someone younger.
all of this talk further lets me know theres gonna be hella work :wow: watch this

some of the best guys in the field currently SUCK at working with computers

some of the guys that are average, cant either

folks that will be able to be great without robots and great with will be rare

so theres still gonna be hella work to go around

not to mention, if its one thing i know, is that these scumbags will sabotage those robots if a company brings them in

we are underestimating what cacs will do when they figure out robots “took their jerbs”

its gonna take 15-25 years minimum before i worry about them

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
all of this talk further lets me know theres gonna be hella work :wow: watch this

some of the best guys in the field currently SUCK at working with computers

some of the guys that are average, cant either

folks that will be able to be great without robots and great with will be rare

so theres still gonna be hella work to go around

not to mention, if its one thing i know, is that these scumbags will sabotage those robots if a company brings them in

we are underestimating what cacs will do when they figure out robots “took their jerbs”

its gonna take 15-25 years minimum before i worry about them
They'll be rare/less common, but they'll be really good at what they do and word gets around about them.

Can't escape the concept of competition unfortunately. This is just a note to say don't fight against technology, embrace it because your competition will.

Last edited: