Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Also, thanks to MBA philosphy in the c-suites. A lot of these companies don't want to train up talent in the tech sphere, so the BS'ers who can overinflate their skills are usually picked. I know a decent amount of tech dudes who are high-up in their field complaining about this problem, and said they would have never made it in this tech market if they were fresh college grads.
One thing I've noticed between both the companies I've worked for as well is them trying to dumb down their employees. I've seen a lot of manager's that want the positions under them to basically be as simplified as possible. It serves to purposes. One is that makes the manager's irreplaceable. By keeping the employees from having a well rounded skillset they know they can't be replaced by those same employees. The other purpose is that if any of those employees leave they are more easily replaced.

It ends up fukking the company over in the long term as they end up too dependent on a select few people and then when those few people move on it sets everything back.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
But let’s keep it real though, you saying for people to not only spend majority of they time at a six figure job but also use extra time and money(money people really can’t afford to lose for real) to gamble on a business that will eventually bring in profits of 500,000

So people can live comfortably?

I mean this is nice advice in a vacuum but with the context of the lives we live in America people shouldn’t have to bend over backwards to live
the alternative is do nothing and pray your number doesn't get called at that job every year

literally put your entire livelihood in the hands of a group of cacs who look at you as nothing more than a line on a balance sheet. stressed out every year.

you rather stick with that the rest of your working life than to at least TRY to generate other streams of income? breh didn't even say quit your day job and go all in. just take some time you would spend bullshytting on netflix or facebook anyway to build something for yourself and your family that can't get taken away at the snap of a finger like that job can. something that could potentially save you in the unfortunate event you get let go or best case scenario it allows you to leave that job and work on your own terms

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's different if they are caught doing something illegal. From my readings there is not technically anything illegal about forcing people to come back to the office. As long as the company isn't outright firing the people and giving them alternatives to keep their job then in the court's eyes nothing they did is wrong. It's immoral as hell but companies have always done shady shyt to get people to quit including changing job duties.
The way that IBM worded the statement was if they wanted people to voluntarily quit rather than firing them. You gotta be a fool to just up and quit over a threat.

Let them actually go through with firing people. And if they don't follow the letter of the law sue them.

Ms. Yue alleges that Twitter chose her for layoff in retaliation for her attempt to organize her co-workers not to resign, so they would have better legal footing to challenge any separation from Twitter,” the document said.

The NLRB alleges that X has “been interfering with, restraining, and coercing employees in the exercise of the rights guaranteed” under national labor law.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
the alternative is do nothing and pray your number doesn't get called at that job every year

literally put your entire livelihood in the hands of a group of cacs who look at you as nothing more than a line on a balance sheet. stressed out every year.

you rather stick with that the rest of your working life than to at least TRY to generate other streams of income? breh didn't even say quit your day job and go all in. just take some time you would spend bullshytting on netflix or facebook anyway to build something for yourself and your family that can't get taken away at the snap of a finger like that job can. something that could potentially save you in the unfortunate event you get let go or best case scenario it allows you to leave that job and work on your own terms
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we all are at the whims of crackers to an extent

Literally everybody works and they going to retire workers, yall sayin for people to stop struggling go start a business and all im sayin is you shouldn’t need to start a business just to get by in this country, the nature of what’s going on in the world right now especially

I guess yall trying to give advice but yall not keeping it real about starting your own business or what that means and to counter layoffs by sayin start a business, I just don’t see the logic in that, I look at the forest within the trees

WHolla09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Interview 1 for this Helpdesk position is done. :wow:
I started feeling like I was "wording salading" her a bit, but when I asked her follow up questions I was able to connect my experience solving problems as a programmer to how I would solve problems in helpdesk. I could tell right then that, that was the "oh shyt" moment that gave me a boost.

Interview 2 tomorrow morning :wow: fully remote gig brehs. Finna start prepping now. Pray for me 🙏🏿
Do you have the A+ cert?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I agree with what some people say about starting your own business, having multiple streams of income if possible, etc. Literally the best thing you can do.

However, I also agree with those who say it's not that easy. First you got to some up with the idea, then you got to execute and execute every single mark.

Sometimes what ends up happening is the complexity that was handled by other people at the businesses you work for are now your complexity that you got to deal with. In a lot of ways you'll be doing more work than you would at just a regular job because now you're dealing with logistics that were abstracted away from you.

In terms of the current job market, this feels like The Great Regression. Companies over-leveraged on the talent and now they're pulling back taking things such as A.I, remote workers, large talent pool, etc. into consideration to optimize their efficiency. It's literally what a company/business does. There are so many alternatives and options available now to employers than there ever were before, but it'll come to a stable state at some point.

A lot of influx in CS grads is basically what STEM grads went through before the tech boom. Like in that other post I mentioned a lot of my classmates and friends through college didn't work in the fields they studied in the early 2010's. I know the game is to stay in tech because of salaries, but remember, due to your education and/or experience in the field there are other options as well that you'd be considered a prime candidate for in the meantime. You may be able to land multiple remote jobs doing non-software, chill work (that you can automate with your knowledge of writing software).

Last edited:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
How could these companies have hired so many mediocre people when they all showed they could leetcode and system design in the interviews :jbhmm::troll:
The whole "we over hired" thing is a lie. These companies hired the exact amount of people they needed to, to bring in all that record revenue during the pandemic, and now that the money has been made, they are just getting rid of the expenses, aka the people they hired.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One thing I've noticed between both the companies I've worked for as well is them trying to dumb down their employees. I've seen a lot of manager's that want the positions under them to basically be as simplified as possible. It serves to purposes. One is that makes the manager's irreplaceable. By keeping the employees from having a well rounded skillset they know they can't be replaced by those same employees. The other purpose is that if any of those employees leave they are more easily replaced.

It ends up fukking the company over in the long term as they end up too dependent on a select few people and then when those few people move on it sets everything back.
This is why some companies can't do anything without an army of overpriced IT contractors. Barely any inhouse technical knowledge exists anymore due to years of layoffs.

And forget about security because with so many contractors coming and going. Who knows what security holes exist or been sold on the Dark web. The CISO will probably move on after 3 or 4 years and it will be someone else's problem.