Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
shyt I’ve been in tech for 8+ years and I just accepted a new job for 20% higher pay.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, if you scared go to church. Opportunity is still plentiful
I'm saying, I got a 5 % raise (peace to the Gods) but every time I check this thread the tech world is ending

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I posted earlier that our company is basically about to have lay-offs. We were acquired and the acquiring company basically has an app that shyts on our's.

They basically want our customers and that's it: acquired to buy-out competition and will cut other teams that had nothing to do with their app.
CEO basically confirmed it and gave a warning that there were going to be changes out of convenience.

So of course:
Some sales/product person (probably at risk of getting cut) complaining right now about a bug on the worse app talking about "our customers".
Like bruh, this feature/app isn't even going to be around come next year :mjlol: :heh:
So these lay-offs recently occurred and company re-orged. They let go of maybe the best director I've worked for and dude as a lot of experience in the industry.

There are going to be a few more, but the pieces are starting to fall into place.

It looks like I'll be pretty safe and may be promoted to the research/A.I team, which is something I'm interested in and pretty safe as most of the people here don't have the same math background. To me at least it beats doing 100% desktop app work (nothing wrong with React but I need a change).

They already looking into automating our services to A.I, which includes scaffolding custom A.I apps. Right now they want the video conference feature to sum up the meeting via A.I and prompt those in attendance if they want to open up an app (or create a new app) with a config that matches what they talked about in the meeting. If we get this going, then it gets very interesting for the hardcoded software teams here.

Last edited:

morris

Superstar
Daps
shyt I’ve been in tech for 8+ years and I just accepted a new job for 20% higher pay.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, if you scared go to church. Opportunity is still plentiful
Congratulations.

There's always opportunities even in the worst market conditions. Some of us do not have years experience as a PM, for example, or certs/licenses.

If you'd like to share tips on what worked for you that'd be great.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Congratulations.

There's always opportunities even in the worst market conditions. Some of us do not have years experience as a PM, for example, or certs/licenses.

If you'd like to share tips on what worked for you that'd be great.

I work in commercial BD / partnerships. I don’t code, not a single cert and I’m not a PM (although I do work with them sometimes). I’ve worked in tech for 8+ years at 3 (soon to be 4) companies.

Only advice I can think of :

- Try to stick in one industry, preferably one you can enjoy. Don’t recommend bouncing from marketing software, to payments technology, over to healthcare software etc. If you can spin up 3+ years in 1 industry, or 4-5 years total at 2 companies in the same industry, you become infinitely more hireable in that space. Somebody sees you’ve already worked at companies that they work with or compete with? They know you know more already than someone coming in blind. The industry I work in now, I’m decently well known, my work precedes me and I know the tech. But if I left and went to sell marketing software tomorrow? I’d be some a$$hole who has to learn the whole industry again.

- Don’t be afraid to try the startup nobody has heard of. A lot of people struggle because they wanna be a SWE at a FAANG company or a PM at a company their mother has heard of… If you find a Series B startup in a growth industry, and they seem to have their shyt together, it’s worth a try. You’ll get equity, and you’ll have faster tracks to promotion than at a 5,000+ company. Could the company end up not working out in 3-5 years? Absolutely. And if it doesn’t? Job market will still be out there. No risk it no biscuit.

- Be somebody that people want to work with. It sounds simple, you don’t need to be a smiley face ass bytch all the time, just don’t be an a$$hole. I see a lot of shyt on thecoli about how they don’t fukk w/ their supervisor, keep things on a need to know basis w/ their co-workers. I’m here to work and go home, not be friendly :birdman: That’s cool for daps, but it holds you back in real life. My first 3-5 years in tech I got some opportunities I may have not been ready for, purely off the strength of being affable and being someone that other people ‘wanted’ to help out. We have this new role and don’t know how to fill it, hey let’s give Joe a shot, people like working with him and it’s easier than finding an outside hire. He’ll learn it as he goes. Nobody is hiring a new person saying “he’ll learn it as he goes!!”. You get the benefit of the doubt by being someone people wanna work with.

That’s very basic advice I know, but looking back on when I started, those 3 points are the main ones that have gotten me from point A to point B.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Started getting traction once I stopped fw recruiters and started going straight to the sites

morris

Superstar
Daps

Broadcom to Cut Almost 1,300 VMware Jobs in California After Takeover​

North Face Owner VF Lays Off 500 Employees During Turnaround​

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Getting a promotion at my current job to System Administrator.

That job title is gonna let me finally break into more mid level/Management roles.

Took too long but that was on me really.

Next year is gonna be me learning more Cloud stuff specifically in Azure.

Signed up for ACloudGuru, trying to get that Cloud Architect money.