Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Lotta these be companies pivoting direction and then using the freed up budget to replace without increasing cost.

With the AI Rush you just replace old devs with more relevant Data Scientist lol and at this point jr devs will prob only be on some tax write off diviersity shyt

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I'm wondering if these re-hires are being brought back as contractors? Or permanently after taking a paycut? I personally would never go back somewhere that laid me off. Do these people have no pride?
Sometimes they hire people back permanent to their old jobs with a 40% payout. It’s a market readjustment after Covid. A ton of companies do this.

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
I'm wondering if these re-hires are being brought back as contractors? Or permanently after taking a paycut? I personally would never go back somewhere that laid me off. Do these people have no pride?
I went back in June after I got laid off in March, because I wasn't getting any other offers. It was rough in April and May, interview after interview and then crickets.

They laid me off then came back mid-May talking about come back nothing's changed, salary + bennies same as before.

19 got laid off and they asked 2 of us to come back. We both did. Told me the budget and projections for revenue allowed for both of us to stay. So they reduced head count by 17 and kept us at the same pay as before.

Yes it was some fukk shyt but I had no choice at that point.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
To be fair, I've actually been getting hit up a lot though for opportunities. Remote, high-paying, etc.

I really don't think getting laid off right now is a death sentence in the least, especially if your resume and accolades look good.

This is why you should always genuinely invest in yourself: learn design patterns, values of TDD and other software aspects, etc.

The more time you spend learning about what you're getting paid to do, the less you got to worry about. A lot of people down bad because they still are faking the funk and getting exposed.

Tech is still by far the best industry. If you're somewhat averagely decent, you should be able to get a job in this market. You don't got to be a x10 to get a job, companies simply want you to be a x1 who'll care.

Remember: you're basically your own company. Instead of worrying about only the work at your job, you can be grinding Leetcode for yourself for example. Make sure to set aside time for that. You're not learning those design patterns like it's some useless knowledge or even because you'll use it at your current job. You're learning it to develop your personal company's brand (meaning you as a skilled person).

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sometimes they hire people back permanent to their old jobs with a 40% payout. It’s a market readjustment after Covid. A ton of companies do this.
On Blind most are saying the majority of these new jobs are in India. That's what my Org did earlier this year. Cutting jobs in the US but at the same time increased hiring overseas.

But these new hires over in India are trash. We're basically babysitting them all day.
:francis:
Productivity is trash now because they can't do anything without someone holding their hand.
:scust:

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
On Blind most are saying the majority of these new jobs are in India. That's what my Org did earlier this year. Cutting jobs in the US but at the same time increased hiring overseas.

But these new hires over in India are trash. We're basically babysitting them all day.
:francis:
Productivity is trash now because they can't do anything without someone holding their hand.
:scust:

lol the Indians I worked with were so damn scared to make a mistake. They always needed step by step instructions on everything to do their job.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol the Indians I worked with were so damn scared to make a mistake. They always needed step by step instructions on everything to do their job.
I swear I be wanting to strangle these dudes. Asking a million freaking questions about the same issue over and over again.

But you switched companies after being fed up doing their job and yours all the time. Only to end up someplace with even dumber ones than at your previous job.
:snoop:

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

If AI can do some of your job, why not take another one on the side?

That's the thinking behind a big new study released this week by researchers at Morgan Stanley.

The investment bank conducted surveys in several countries, including the US, UK, and India, to get a sense for how many people have or plan to take on multiple jobs or set up multiple earnings streams in other ways.

Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation.KNOW MORE

Official data tracked by Morgan Stanley shows 5% of the population working multiple jobs, with that growing 5% a year. Unofficial data suggests it's more like 8-10% of the population, with interest in multiple jobs growing more than 18% a year, the bank's researchers wrote in a note to clients.

The bank conducted a similar study about a year ago, and since then the multi-job trends has picked up, with the rise of generative AI powering the change.

"The main driver which has changed since our original thesis is the advent of cheap or free and rapidly democratised access to generative AI tools," the researchers wrote.

They forecast $400 billion in income from multiple jobs by 2030, with generative AI contributing about $83 billion of that. In a much more bullish scenario, the bank sees $1.4 trillion in multi-earning income, with generative AI kicking in $300 billion of that.