Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Big corps get kickbacks from the gov to host h1bs.
Ive worked for a Fortune 100 & Fortune 200, everyone in those I rubbed elbows with hit me with a :manny: on if they were hiring H1B’s on the regular. Not saying it doesn’t happen, just saying in my experience and with people in my network it’s not as common as media makes it seem it is.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They just needed the workforce for 20 years until AI collected all the data it needed

Happens throughout history where they overpay in a particular sector to attract the best and brightest just long enough to extract as much information as they can out of them then automate it.
My company is basically demanding we automate every cybersecurity related task we can. Like I can't see them adding headcount like crazy over in Mumbai so Nap can just press a few buttons.

I ain't documenting or automating nothing but simple shyt for these overseas Operation folks. Let them get it out the mud like I did.
mark-henry.gif

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Ive worked for a Fortune 100 & Fortune 200, everyone in those I rubbed elbows with hit me with a :manny: on if they were hiring H1B’s on the regular. Not saying it doesn’t happen, just saying in my experience and with people in my network it’s not as common as media makes it seem it is.
I'll say this BOFA and JP Morgan is one that wave heavy and they still don't get paid what they normally should

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My last 3 companies were heavy H1b visa users. You would see the immigration paperwork scattered all over the mail rooms. When they weren't constantly bringing people over on visas. They were signing outsourcing contracts with body shops for cheap labor.

I spotted most of them because they would have to return to India for a few months everytime their visas expired.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
No harm in applying and seeing what happens. A lot of people have gone back to their old jobs.

It’s a small department breh and if my boss doesn’t reach out to me fukk em.

Plus this was the most unorganized company I’ve ever been apart of, VPs & Directors in your work, sales going behind your back to get bad deals signed off, 9 months to get onboarded.

Our VP of finance did forecasting in google fukkin sheets. Our leadership is legit terrible.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

I was started to get a little bit fed up with all the doom and gloom regarding tech layoffs. So I got curious and tried to answer the following question: "Out of all the people laid off from tech companies since 2022, how many were software engineers?". Here's what I found out:

In 2022, more than 161,000 employees were laid off from tech companies.

In the first five months of 2023, nearly 200,000 employees were laid off from tech companies.

In total, nearly 360,000 employees were laid off from tech companies in the year and a half spanning 2022 and the first part of 2023.

Out of the 360,000 employees that were laid off from tech companies in the year and a half spanning 2022 and the first part of 2023, it is estimated that between 7.5K and 10K were software engineers.

So less than 3% of people affected by these layoffs were SWE's. Though, reading the hundreds posts about this topic, you'd think like half the SWE's lost their jobs.

Am I missing something here?
Granted it's probably not the most accurate numbers, but honestly the doomers posting their numbers most likely aren't the most accurate either.

To the software cats who got laid off here, keep applying. Something sooner than later probably going to hit.

tgu

Pro
Daps

Granted it's probably not the most accurate numbers, but honestly the doomers posting their numbers most likely aren't the most accurate either.

To the software cats who got laid off here, keep applying. Something sooner than later probably going to hit.

Yeah, those numbers seem way off. There’s no way SWEs made up less than 3% off layoffs. I know areas like recruiting and HR got hit hard, but not that hard

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
“All the demographics say there’s going to be a shortage of humans for jobs. Literally too many jobs and not enough people for at least the next 30 years.”

— Eric Schmidt, former Google chief executive

oprah-winfrey.gif
Another