Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
“We’ve continued to hire for specialized roles, overwhelmingly from the US,” a Google spokesperson told The Post. “These jobs are not replacing the roles impacted by our workforce reduction. The H-1B skilled migration visas we apply for are mostly foreign employees already working at the company in the U.S. whose current visas are expiring.”

Other firms including Meta, Amazon, Zoom, Salesforce, Microsoft, and Palantir have also filed for more H-1B applications, according to Fang.

The Post has sought comment from all of these companies.

H-1B visas, which are used by software engineers and others in the tech industry, have been a lightning rod in the immigration debate, with critics saying they are used to undercut US citizens and legal permanent residents.
I always say this: this is the wrong industry/field to get into if you don't want to compete nor improve.

From numbers alone:
For every 1 American (all 350 mil, many idiots), there are two people around the world who are in the top 10% (750 million top performers). Then there are other people stateside who are also capable.

If you can prove you're better and hirable, demand the big money. A lot of folks are skating though.

Literally just saw this post today on my timeline and it's facts from 4:00-11:00, especially at 7:00-8:00.

Last edited:

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch

Elon Musk said Big Tech can make more job cuts without affecting productivity, at the WSJ CEO Council.

"There were a lot of people doing things that don't seem to have a lot of value," Musk said about Twitter.

Some don’t wanna hear it because it’s coming from him — but let’s keep it 100. There are some orgs that are super bloated with project managers who go to 5 meetings a day and don’t really do shyt! How many actually build something or even can mock something up that at least points the designers/coders/etc a certain direction.

Because you KNOW they aren’t coming up with new idea that — even if they don’t see the light of day — are worth working on.

So much planned chaos and diversion at these companies that allowed a ton of “nothing people” with little to no ideas to simply exist and get paid. Because if the company switched focus and decided to work on a new tool, these people would jump on it immediately just to save their job.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I always say this: this is the wrong industry/field to get into if you don't want to compete nor improve.

From numbers alone:
For every 1 American (all 350 mil, many idiots), there are two people around the world who are in the top 10% (750 million top performers). Then there are other people stateside who are also capable.

If you can prove you're better and hirable, demand the big money. A lot of folks are skating though.

Literally just saw this post today on my timeline and it's facts from 4:00-11:00, especially at 7:00-8:00.

this is not even true and tbh its the relationships you have with people that matter more than your skills. Mad talented SEs got laid off because they can exploits H1b Asians to take 80k for a position that calls for 150k and the work wouldn't be better just good enough.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
this is not even true and tbh its the relationships you have with people that matter more than your skills. Mad talented SEs got laid off because they can exploits H1b Asians to take 80k for a position that calls for 150k and the work wouldn't be better just good enough.
That happens around most fields though. It's not exclusive to software. It's also not new to tech either and has been happening for decades. You think all them Asians that work at Microsoft only got there the last 2 years? shyt, even the ones from here ain't from here. That's been on of tech's stories.

Also, you need to level up your skills or you're going to be known as someone who "talks a big game" and gets exposed.

The thing is people are aware of those who stay at one company for a long period of time as they may be there simply because they're not good enough to move on to a new company. Interviewers will try to key in on that and see how much a candidate truly has grown.

Unless you got a connection from your current company to the next, it won't help you much when it's time to showcase what you should know after x-amount of time for another interviewer. Then if you're bad at what you do, ain't nobody going to want to put their name next to yours.

What's funny additionally when you read the teamblind posts - many foreigners think Americans discriminate and think it's difficult to get jobs. The reason why they feel that way is the reason I brought up in my original post and that's because the worldwide competition is fierce. There are only so many of those jobs and everybody wants them.

Last edited:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

People keep seeing these large lay off numbers but keep wondering how job creation reports keep coming in hot. Demographic cliffs are cancer and pretty much all major economies are shifting. This is a huge reason for the push for robotics and AI before real regulation exist beyond the traditional method of just upping immigration. For example: Germany has a plan to tackle a rapidly aging workforce: recruiting robots

In this market it should not be hard to rebound and find a new job even if it isn't your dream one. All the boomers are dying or retired and the gen z aren't eager to hop in the workforce.

“All the demographics say there’s going to be a shortage of humans for jobs. Literally too many jobs and not enough people for at least the next 30 years.”

— Eric Schmidt, former Google chief executive

oprah-winfrey.gif

Spence

Superstar
Daps
All the companies I have worked with/for actually hate having to sponsor H-B’s because it’s expensive as fk. When they do hire an H1B it’s maybe 20% less than a citizen, they aren’t paying them in sandwiches as people would be led to believe. The offshored jobs are paid in shoelaces and bubblegum though

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
is that facebook? sorry to hear breh, but I know you probably got something to fall back on....right?

Not Facebook but a smaller tech company
I have really solid severance package + another full-time gig(pays much lower)

ABA…always be applying
ABI…always be interviewing

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
All the companies I have worked with/for actually hate having to sponsor H-B’s because it’s expensive as fk. When they do hire an H1B it’s maybe 20% less than a citizen, they aren’t paying them in sandwiches as people would be led to believe. The offshored jobs are paid in shoelaces and bubblegum though
Big corps get kickbacks from the gov to host h1bs.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I just had to cancel two 2nd round interviews because I know in my mind and heart I'm not ready. I rather be fully prepared than going into a tech interview and fumbling all over the place. I hate that I can led but I feel good about my decision.
Should’ve took them at least for the practice reps

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Should’ve took them at least for the practice reps
I usually do but I've been at this for 7 years now. I definity dont know everything but I was interviewing for a principal level position and I knew what flaws I needed to work on.
Also I wasn't in love with the company or the team I met so I wouldn't have been happy after a while

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
They just needed the workforce for 20 years until AI collected all the data it needed

Happens throughout history where they overpay in a particular sector to attract the best and brightest just long enough to extract as much information as they can out of them then automate it.