Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Funny thing is half those jobs to begin with weren't even real :mjlol:

I still see our company's job listings that have been there for 200 days. Literally got 15 job listing for React.
So fukking dumb. I don't know why companies do this.

Zero interviews for those positions and it's a major city.
They do that in case they catch a unicorn application to hire whenever there’s a stock up period.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
What is it exactly you think AI can’t do in Cybersecurity? I’d imagine that would be on the forefront of fields that would be prime for AI intervention.
AI isn’t there yet for writing successful code to penetrate and breach. It’s pretty rudimentary. But, taking away base level code and speeding up the process for which hackers can write something like a DDOS attack will improve both speed and efficiency. It still needs a human element to get hackers over the hump of trying to make an attack successful

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Funny thing is half those jobs to begin with weren't even real :mjlol:

I still see our company's job listings that have been there for 200 days. Literally got 15 job listing for React.
So fukking dumb. I don't know why companies do this.

Zero interviews for those positions and it's a major city.
That too. I like to see what’s out there so I look at hob postings all the time. I’m still seeing the same job postings months later. A lot of BS.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

Krishna spilled the beans to Bloomberg in an interview, explaining that the slowdown or freeze in hiring would effect back-office positions and departments such as HR. Krishna told the outlet that these non-customer facing positions makeup around 26,000 positions in IBM’s workforce, and he said “I could easily see 30% of that getting replaced by AI and automation over a five-year period.” That’s in the ballpark of 7,800 human jobs that Krishna is interested in automating, and Bloomberg reports that IBM is still hiring customer-facing and software development roles.

:ehh:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
AI isn’t there yet for writing successful code to penetrate and breach. It’s pretty rudimentary. But, taking away base level code and speeding up the process for which hackers can write something like a DDOS attack will improve both speed and efficiency. It still needs a human element to get hackers over the hump of trying to make an attack successful
Breh I’m gonna ask you a question.

- Do you really believe what you’re doing can’t be automated?

Take ddos attacks as an example. When faced with that in the real world, isn’t there a list of things you have to watch for? The IPs from which the attacks are being launched. Has your code base been hacked? Has there been recent changes to any configuration/credential files? Has any unauthorized personnels gained access to your systems?

In the above, I listed a few common checks that can be done. If I talk to a network engineer I’m pretty sure they can provide me a straight forward list of checks to perform.

So I ask again, are you sure it can’t be automated? I gave chatgpt a code to convert into another language. And it did.

Spence

Superstar
Daps

Take ddos attacks as an example. When faced with that in the real world, isn’t there a list of things you have to watch for? The IPs from which the attacks are being launched. Has your code base been hacked? Has there been recent changes to any configuration/credential files? Has any unauthorized personnels gained access to your systems?

In the above, I listed a few common checks that can be done. If I talk to a network engineer I’m pretty sure they can provide me a straight forward list of checks to perform.

So I ask again, are you sure it can’t be automated? I gave chatgpt a code to convert into another language. And it did.
I’m not in security, I’m in talent acquisition. Recruitment can easily be “automated” but you’ll get a team of single minds which aren’t as successful. AI can’t perceive fit, only qualifications. As well, people don’t trust robots which have built in biases, Amazon already got caught with their AI rejecting minorities and women.
Even if recruitment goes away completely my move would naturally be to go to HR which can never go away as long as humans are employed.

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
I forgot C# is in the stack I mentioned. And yes that will get you even further, especially if you can mix in some Java/JS to go with that typescript which makes you a lot more versatile. If you’re able to look at Ruby and ROR or Rust that gives you additional avenues on companies wanting a back end leaning full stack dev.
Just subbed to Tim Corey's C#/.Net site. Going to grind these next few months while I look for a new job. Maybe get another aws cert(got the ccp cert a while back due to one of my jobs) too. :salute:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Just subbed to Tim Corey's C#/.Net site. Going to grind these next few months while I look for a new job. Maybe get another aws cert(got the ccp cert a while back due to one of my jobs) too. :salute:
Easier way in is Azure or GCP since they are smaller. Cloud skills translate and AWS is way more vanilla (easier to find and harder for you to stand out in a crowd) than being an expert on clouds that have smaller market share (thus less people in the talent pool).

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Easier way in is Azure or GCP since they are smaller. Cloud skills translate and AWS is way more vanilla (easier to find and harder for you to stand out in a crowd) than being an expert on clouds that have smaller market share (thus less people in the talent pool).

My job is in technical training for a large oil conglomerate, so unrelated to tech but i've been dabbling in data analytics lately (enrollments; pass; fail; no shows; test scores, region/gender/domain breakdowns, course compliance; etc;)

The higher ups signed off on me getting Power BI on my work laptop and taking one of those week-long Microsoft courses on analyzing/visualizing data on Power BI.. so i'm thinking fukk it let me get the Power BI Data Analyst cert. My question is are there any (other?) specific Microsoft Certs that are in demand? Like would it be a Power BI one and, say, the Azure Solutions Architect? That you guys are told to keep a look out for

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
AI can code yall engineers better learn some people skills
It an do simple stuff.

But like...ask it to write a script to transfer your vmotion, vsan, and management network from a standard switch to a distributed switch. After you fix that outage you getting fired :mjlol:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way

A huge amount of breach and exploits is understanding the topography of a network and pivoting very quickly yet very quietly so as to not set off IDS/Detections and Alerts. I dont think AI will ever be able to fully perform those functions as the parameters youd have to include in the program would be so robust you might as well do all the work yourself.

For defense, a huge part of it is articulating and documenting loss, response and recovery. AI wont be able to make business decisions on which assets may be the most vulnerable but least valuable and vice versa. AI wont be able to fully grasp all the second and third order legal and financial ramifications a leak may have, but a IR and compliance team of humans can.

Daps
Good luck bro. Had an interview today with another company and a few phone interviews with recruiters lined up. If these don't work I think I'll have to go full stack soon. Damn near every job i see now has .Net in the requirements :wow:

Breh, I'm not ashamed to say that I used big brother AI for a lil help with this coding problem.

I hope they won't be able to tell. :wow:

I coded up the parts that I knew and then used AI to fill in some of the parts that I could have figured out, but would have had trouble figuring out quickly.

Hopefully I made the code my own enough where it won't look suspicious :wow:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A huge amount of breach and exploits is understanding the topography of a network and pivoting very quickly yet very quietly so as to not set off IDS/Detections and Alerts. I dont think AI will ever be able to fully perform those functions as the parameters youd have to include in the program would be so robust you might as well do all the work yourself.

For defense, a huge part of it is articulating and documenting loss, response and recovery. AI wont be able to make business decisions on which assets may be the most vulnerable but least valuable and vice versa. AI wont be able to fully grasp all the second and third order legal and financial ramifications a leak may have, but a IR and compliance team of humans can.
This makes sense. But I assure you, everything you just described can be automated. All it takes is an incentive. Will any rational human want AI to make critical decisions for them right away? Of course not. But AI can present you with multiple robotically generated (and vetted) data that’ll allow you to make the best decision in any given scenario.