Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps

labor market still tight

This is the only real thing keeping me employed right now. Most companies are holding onto their talent as long as possible “just in case” as well as stocking up where they can since they know good help is hard as hell to find. Once that number starts to unravel though I might be looking for employment :beli:

I truly only need a good 4 months before I’m ready to ride out a full year or longer jobless. Inches from the goal line on paying off our rental house which brings in more than a minimum wage job all by itself.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
A man is more than his job, but alot of man's self worth is rooted in the ability to provide.

Emasculating tho? IDK about that, every person is different. I was grinding hard after my layoff, but my wife wanted me to take like 3-4 months off. She still thinks I should've enjoyed unemployment, but I knew more layoffs were coming and didnt want to risk trying to find a job during a full blown recession.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
A man is more than his job, but alot of man's self worth is rooted in the ability to provide.

Emasculating tho? IDK about that, every person is different. I was grinding hard after my layoff, but my wife wanted me to take like 3-4 months off. She still thinks I should've enjoyed unemployment, but I knew more layoffs were coming and didnt want to risk trying to find a job during a full blown recession.

That lay-off shyt is cool for 1-2 months when you got some semblance of severance but when you at that 4 month period and you gotta explain that gap, it’s a shyt feeling.

I don’t wish an extended period of a job hunt on any breh, that shyt fukks with you mentally.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The only people who should fear AI taking jobs are entry level and junior positions. And I wouldn’t expect much change before 3 years.

I’m lucky enough to have see the future of integration within the developer and security space and a lot of it is billed as an assistant rather than a replacement…for now.

The type of work I do is impossible technically (for now) and legally impossible for AI to do, but I definitely see only senior l, principle and management developer roles being enhanced by AI developments.

You’ll see some of it soon. But looks good.

Really wish people would stop with these stupid YouTube videos though.
Problem is in order to become a senior, the mass majority of the time you need to go through those roles/positions. Part of earning that senior title is having experience on a team and learning what can/can't be delegated to other people and it's not simply a case of expertise in programming language/tech (which I think indicates a strong mid-level programmer).

So if this tech displaces the need for many Juniors, the market and amount of roles does shrink significantly.

If that's the case then it becomes more like other STEM fields: where due to their seniority, the boomers (or now gen-x and older millennials) take up all the jobs at a company and make it difficult for everyone else to get their foot in the door because they got the A.I to do those entry-level roles. Now everyone is waiting for the seniors to retire or move on for a position to open up. Which goes back to a problem many of those fields have and wasn't as much a problem with tech: need experience but can't get the opportunity to obtain experience.

However, this may be what's necessary for Gen-Z for trail blaze a new lane/industry: boomers had traditional engineering, Gen-X/Millenials had tech, maybe it's Gen-Z's time to find their thing.

Last edited:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
The only people who should fear AI taking jobs are entry level and junior positions. And I wouldn’t expect much change before 3 years.

I’m lucky enough to have see the future of integration within the developer and security space and a lot of it is billed as an assistant rather than a replacement…for now.

The type of work I do is impossible technically (for now) and legally impossible for AI to do, but I definitely see only senior l, principle and management developer roles being enhanced by AI developments.

You’ll see some of it soon. But looks good.

Really wish people would stop with these stupid YouTube videos though.
Yeah in many cases you would be an idiot to just straight up copy/paste some output you got from ChatGPT in any companys environment. It's clearly not 'there' yet

Even though this isn't a next year thing, this should serve as caution. 5 years from now things will probably look a lot different. So I'm asking myself what can I do now to prep

As cacs say 'skate to where the puck is going'

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Yeah me personally I never really bought into that superficial traditional outlook on life. But I know I'm in the minority but I still think your manhood is fixed so no matter what happens externally you still have your manhood and selfworth. If you tried your best and have good character what the fukk are you beating yourself down for or questioning your selfworth? Something outside of your control happened, it's a natural part of life for shyt to happen. Just move on to the next opportunity to the best of your ability. Amazon the same mfers that got nikkas working like slaves in warehouses but they let you go now you feel you have no value FOH.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I hope the existence of this thread serves as a reminder to many, that life is no joke. Your livelihood can be threatened if you rely solely on someone else to provide a job for you.

Try everything you can to remove yourself from this rat race. Or at least reduce your dependence on a 9-5 job to the point where the possibility of a layoff ignites excitement instead of dread. A layoff should mean you get to vacation for a while. No big deal. You’ve got other income.

I’m watching the video of ol boy and his girl discussing the possibility of him being laid off from Amazon. I hate to say it but that is a very emasculating position for anyman to be in. I can’t even put it into words. Part of being a man is never ever allowing the woman in your life to see you in a begging position. In a hopeless, “oh my god is it gonna happen to us too” type of daze. Never. Some men continue to leave the house as if they’re going to work. Because the shame of telling their significant other that they lost their job is too much to bear.

I could be harsher in how I convey this message but I think y’all get the point. Those of you who are laid off, when you do get a job, you would be doing yourself a great disservice if you don’t start living conservatively from then on.

This is bullshyt, frankly. Specifically your first 2 paragraphs.

There is no one who is impervious to their livelihood being threatened. Whether you earn a salary or have a side hustle or own a business. People get laid off, people's side hustles die on the vine, people's businesses shut down (every day, mind you). Unless you become a billionaire, you're a significant event away from being assed out.

Not everyone has the aptitude or time to get on this Gary V bullshyt y'all snakesmen be pushing. Not everyone can be a business owner.

And the dread of losing a job, and communicating that to your wife is not emasculating. That's real shyt. Whoever told you to get some therapy is onto something. If you can't confide your fears to your spouse you're with the wrong one. You'll masculine yourself into an early grave trying to be the man and shoulder the burden by yourself.

People were saying this 10 years ago

Who hacked your account? You've been speaking facts lately

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shytt....just got asked to write a short SOP. Straight copied from chatGPT verbatim and got praised.

Fukk that.

Use that shyt!
Hmmm. Continue to give chatgpt ideas on how to do your job for you. Not a smart move.

If one of those people who praised you happen to do the same thing, and finds out you plagiarized it from chatgpt, now you’re a charlatan. A fraud. A fake. A liar.

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
Hmmm. Continue to give chatgpt ideas on how to do your job for you. Not a smart move.

If one of those people who praised you happen to do the same thing, and finds out you plagiarized it from chatgpt, now you’re a charlatan. A fraud. A fake. A liar.

Eh. Use chat GPT when stating basic facts or common best practices.

When your actual unique opinion is needed, you create that shyt.

Shyt ain't about what you do, it's about how fast you do it and how usable it is.

Businesses rarely know how to execute end to end.

So it's better to get shyt done and delivered so the next person can fuk up vs you catching analysis paralysis on a straight forward task, being blamed for the delay, all because you didn't want to use Google or chatGPT.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

:wow:
For about a year now I’ve struggled with the fact that I genuinely think B2B SAAS is the most pointless industry to ever exist in the business world. It’s literally just a bunch of people selling software they built, to other companies who are also selling software they built, to other software companies, all just trying to cash out first.

The scary part is this is like 60% of the economy.

Lol no shot

If they realize it's a bullshyt they'll laugh and be cocky that they became a billionaire with bullshyt products

It's only about money and power to them not progress

There is a lot of bullshyt that is very open about how BS it is.

100% facts.