Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Personally I prefer tech startups (past their Series B). If you have the background you’ll get a really good salary, plus quicker ability for promotions and ‘unscheduled’ pay raises if your value proves throughout the company. If you’re at a 100-150 person company, you can very quickly become seen as indispensable if your work is A1. If you’re at Google and Employee #74,658 it’s much harder to stand out at a level that materially changes your outlook, even if you do great work.

Not to mention the stock option / equity piece. Yes Google / Apple stock is an excellent way to stably build up wealth overtime via equity, but if you’re a startup and you get acquired, the wealth growth can be staggering. I’ve been in startups the last 7-8 years and apart of 2 acquisitions (working in the 3rd now) and it feels like I’ll stay in this game forever, unless a Big Tech firm comes around and offers me more than half a million a year (even then I’d have to think on it).

You can get 25-50k in Google equity every year and watch it mature to 200k over the next 5 years, or you can get 25-50k in equity in the startup, and upon acquisition you can 10x. Imagine owning .002% of a company, then one day yall get acquired for $4 Bn. That’s $8 million in equity once cashed out.

But really it all depends on the situation.
Work startups only if that’s your only option, or you don’t need the money.
I had an interview with a Big Tech company a while ago. IDK if it's for me. I feel you gotta kiss a lot of ass on those jobs. Then you gotta deal with egos. But I'm not 100% sure.

I'm single, childfree, under 30. My peace of mind is my number 1 thing then physical health then the money and then freedom.

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I had an interview with a Big Tech company a while ago. IDK if it's for me. I feel you gotta kiss a lot of ass on those jobs. Then you gotta deal with egos. But I'm not 100% sure.

I'm single, childfree, under 30. My peace of mind is my number 1 thing then physical health then the money and then freedom.
I heard there’s 6 rounds of coding challenges for FAANG :heh:

Industry standard is 3 rounds with one of those being a coding challenge.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Engineers learn to program in general. Well maybe except Industrial Engineers :lolbron:

But OOP, writing production level code... That's not taught outside of CS departments usually. It's a skill engineers in other disciplines have to pick up after school. They can easier than most because they know how to code and think logically (loops, functions, objects, etc)

I was a CS major and didn't learn this in school lmao

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
“AI will take over the world and no one will have jobs”. People who say this have no clue. Some jobs will be killed but others will be created. There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes.
Dudes here don’t know anything about compliance. There’s no way AI is going to be doing shyt unmoderated.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Dudes here don’t know anything about compliance. There’s no way AI is going to be doing shyt unmoderated.
The problem with this thinking is capitalism has already shown us what moderation is….

Understaffed and overworked

If a team of 5 moderators did 100,000 in billing hours, why not a team of 2 doing 200,000 in billing hours… :scust:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

The part about single use apps:
Single-use apps will be a huge thing. If you need to solve a unique problem, and nobody has ever done software for that because not enough market. With an LLM even a problem with only one user, will be doable, enter your ask, and code gets written, problem gets solved. Runtime ends, app dies. Done. Single use apps are born.

If they get A.I to the point where it can basically create an app on spot one time to do what you needed for those few minutes that'd be something. Rather than the big, complex apps we've been building you have small quick, single-responsibility (but composable) and disposable apps built by A.I.

shyt is really spooky now. They legit rolled out an entire ecosystem of tools that ChatGPT can access.

What that thing did with the spreadsheets :wow:
A lot of SaaS companies looking at this now like :merchant:

Last edited:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope the existence of this thread serves as a reminder to many, that life is no joke. Your livelihood can be threatened if you rely solely on someone else to provide a job for you.

Try everything you can to remove yourself from this rat race. Or at least reduce your dependence on a 9-5 job to the point where the possibility of a layoff ignites excitement instead of dread. A layoff should mean you get to vacation for a while. No big deal. You’ve got other income.

I’m watching the video of ol boy and his girl discussing the possibility of him being laid off from Amazon. I hate to say it but that is a very emasculating position for anyman to be in. I can’t even put it into words. Part of being a man is never ever allowing the woman in your life to see you in a begging position. In a hopeless, “oh my god is it gonna happen to us too” type of daze. Never. Some men continue to leave the house as if they’re going to work. Because the shame of telling their significant other that they lost their job is too much to bear.

I could be harsher in how I convey this message but I think y’all get the point. Those of you who are laid off, when you do get a job, you would be doing yourself a great disservice if you don’t start living conservatively from then on.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
I hope the existence of this thread serves as a reminder to many, that life is no joke. Your livelihood can be threatened if you rely solely on someone else to provide a job for you.

Try everything you can to remove yourself from this rat race. Or at least reduce your dependence on a 9-5 job to the point where the possibility of a layoff ignites excitement instead of dread. A layoff should mean you get to vacation for a while. No big deal. You’ve got other income.

I’m watching the video of ol boy and his girl discussing the possibility of him being laid off from Amazon. I hate to say it but that is a very emasculating position for anyman to be in. I can’t even put it into words. Part of being a man is never ever allowing the woman in your life to see you in a begging position. In a hopeless, “oh my god is it gonna happen to us too” type of daze. Never. Some men continue to leave the house as if they’re going to work. Because the shame of telling their significant other that they lost their job is too much to bear.

I could be harsher in how I convey this message but I think y’all get the point. Those of you who are laid off, when you do get a job, you would be doing yourself a great disservice if you don’t start living conservatively from then on.
You might need some therapy bruh ….losing a job shouldn’t cause this kind of angst when it comes to communicating with your significant other

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You might need some therapy bruh ….losing a job shouldn’t cause this kind of angst when it comes to communicating with your significant other
Do you actually understand what you read? Like, in your own words explain what you got out of that post. I mean, you can’t be this dense. Unless you under the age of 25? 30?