Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
All those people saying “teach coding in school” just fukked up a generation LOL

All goes to AI
all them bootcamp nikkas pretty much being bushed because the type of work they would be given can be done by AI and low code/no code tools. Folks wanted fast tracks into money vs learning the science.

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
If you got a job related to computers, in 10 years, you’ll be out of work because of AI
A fair amount of people will pivot and new roles will be created. There is a decent amount of work that goes into data cleaning and manipulation for AI input. Models need to be trained and refined. If the AI is through reinforcement learning parameters need to be evaluated and tweaked.

Jobs that are research and regurgitate such as law clerk will be gone though.

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
“AI will take over the world and no one will have jobs”. People who say this have no clue. Some jobs will be killed but others will be created. There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes.

Obviously, 100% of jobs will not be eliminated, but just like automation in factories, the only IT jobs left will be those at the very top to oversee all the AI, which would have replaced the other human workforce

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Obviously, 100% of jobs will not be eliminated, but just like automation in factories, the only IT jobs left will be those at the very top to oversee all the AI, which would have replaced the other human workforce

"oversee all the AI" what does that mean and why do you think higher level jobs will do that. No, there will still be low level, mid level and upper level jobs just like any other company. AI doesn't work out of magic. There will always be support, maintenance/operations, some form of development, sales, etc.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
:childplease:

I had 2 final interviews last year (3 rounds of interviews for each job) and after reaching out to the recruiter for an update, I never heard back.

I eventually received an automated rejection email 2 months later when I already moved on and forgot about it, and the second one I never heard back, not even a rejection email.

Then I had another horrible experience with another recruiter. He contacted me on 3 different occasions within 6 months for 3 different roles with the same company that I applied for. Every time he would reach out to me for my availability to interview, he then would ghost me every time I provide him with my availability (I was available at all times). He pissed me off so much I wanted to report him so bad but had no idea how.

Anyways, so far I had more negative experiences with recruiters than positive ones.
I just had a recruiter flat out lie to me about a job I was interviewing for offering relocation assistance and I didn't find out the truth until after I had done 3 rounds of interviews including with the hiring manager.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Thanks for answering my question. That's interesting because I imagine most people would want to work for the giant. You get to have their name on your resume and the benefits. Also like you said at the smaller company you're not just a number. If you like the folks you work with then that would be dope. But I think most people don't care if they have great work relationships just as long as the pay is good.

I can understand that you want that bag and security.
Do startups pay good? :lupe:

I wouldn’t touch until interest rates come back down

So one thing I should clarify with my answers; I work on the business side of tech. I drive revenue and scope out new partnerships for companies. I’m not a developer (who I think would be more sought after by a tech giant).

I wouldn’t be surprised if engineers and developers at big tech have salaries substantially higher than those at startups, but I’ll say that on my side the salaries are a little more comparable to big companies.. and then you add in the equity component which can grow by an exponential rate.

As far as resume / benefits, most tech companies in general offer pretty attractive benefits. I don’t dive into my healthcare that deep because I’m single w/ no kids, but we get a nice 401k match, good healthcare w/ HSA, and fringe benefits like a ‘spend allowance’ on random shyt we think will progress our career, quarterly spend allowance to buy anything that’ll help us WFH, etc. For the resume point, it will definitely look great for a developer to say they were at Google or Meta for 2-3 years, but with me on the business side it looks equally impressive if they see that I’ve been at 2-3 startups who all had company acquisitions by the age of 30.

It all depends on what your job is and what you want to do. Actually as I type this, I’d say developers would want to go to the tech giant because of pay / resume, and business side may want to go with a startup because you have a real chance to actually change the trajectory of the company and get a significant piece of their growth.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Heard some shyt on sxm saying alot of the hires were just to achieve numbers. And weren't for a need .
Made a similarly good point about it:

Basically, companies are not immune to FOMO. When they see people hiring they're going to do the same because they have a fear of being left behind.

Now that companies are laying those people off, they can do the same now without the risk of looking as bad.

What we basically saw was practically a pump and dump but with tech company hiring:
One company starts hiring aggressively > everyone else starts hiring aggressively.
One company makes massive layoffs because they realized they over-hired > all other companies follow behind.

At the end of the day:
Tech companies first get worried they're going to lose all the talent == hire everybody.
Someone 3 months of coding experience may be a genius, hire them!

Then they get worried they're spending too much vs other companies on employees that aren't doing anything == lay people off.

What sucks is the common person loses because it just basically filled the market with everyone going after software jobs.

I think other STEM field graduates can thrive right now and name their price because there were so few graduates due to the vacuum the tech rush created in other fields.

Additionally, the other CS fields like embedded systems or cybersecurity are probably not feeling it as bad as the front end/back end/full-stack people are.

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Made a similarly good point about it:

Basically, companies are not immune to FOMO. When they see people hiring they're going to do the same because they have a fear of being left behind.

Now that companies are laying those people off, they can do the same now without the risk of looking as bad.

What we basically saw was practically a pump and dump but with tech company hiring:
One company starts hiring aggressively > everyone else starts hiring aggressively.
One company makes massive layoffs because they realized they over-hired > all other companies follow behind.

What sucks is the common person loses because it just basically filled the market with everyone going after software jobs.

I think other STEM field graduates can thrive right now and name their price because there were so few graduates due to the vacuum the tech rush created in other fields.

Additionally, the other CS fields like embedded systems or cybersecurity are probably not feeling it as bad as the front end/back end/full-stack people are.

Good point because the truth is a lot people with pivoted from let's Mechanical Engineering to software engineering post college because of the money.

Friend of mine used to work at Lookheed Martin as an Aerospace Engineer, but he's been software developer for about 12 years now.