Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Would ya'll prefer working for a large tech giant company, or a smaller company? What is ideal for you? I know this question depends on a lot of different factors but I wanted to asks it anyways.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Would ya'll prefer working for a large tech giant company, or a smaller company? What is ideal for you? I know this question depends on a lot of different factors but I wanted to asks it anyways.
Tech giant by far. That equity adds up something crazy. You'll look at Fidelity one day trying to figure out how that happened :russ:

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Man, the better ChatGPT gets the more I'm worried about the job market.

I legit have a feeling we haven't seen layoffs due to ChatGPT's progress yet, but we're about to sometime this year.

That's the scary part, these layoffs are because of how over-hired they were and additional reasons, but not ChatGPT yet.

You won’t see that for another 3-5 years. No company is gonna turn over roles en masse to ChatGPT in the immediate future

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Tech giant by far. That equity adds up something crazy. You'll look at Fidelity one day trying to figure out how that happened :russ:
What about military contracting? What are your thoughts on that breh?

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps

Personally I prefer tech startups (past their Series B). If you have the background you’ll get a really good salary, plus quicker ability for promotions and ‘unscheduled’ pay raises if your value proves throughout the company. If you’re at a 100-150 person company, you can very quickly become seen as indispensable if your work is A1. If you’re at Google and Employee #74,658 it’s much harder to stand out at a level that materially changes your outlook, even if you do great work.

Not to mention the stock option / equity piece. Yes Google / Apple stock is an excellent way to stably build up wealth overtime via equity, but if you’re a startup and you get acquired, the wealth growth can be staggering. I’ve been in startups the last 7-8 years and apart of 2 acquisitions (working in the 3rd now) and it feels like I’ll stay in this game forever, unless a Big Tech firm comes around and offers me more than half a million a year (even then I’d have to think on it).

You can get 25-50k in Google equity every year and watch it mature to 200k over the next 5 years, or you can get 25-50k in equity in the startup, and upon acquisition you can 10x. Imagine owning .002% of a company, then one day yall get acquired for $4 Bn. That’s $8 million in equity once cashed out.

But really it all depends on the situation.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
giant, that equity and now that i'm getting :old:, them benefits, both hit harder at big companies. you might get lucky and win the option lotto at a startup, but the path to a payout can take 5-10 years, i want my RSU's and annual bonus, fukk an option

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
You won’t see that for another 3-5 years. No company is gonna turn over roles en masse to ChatGPT in the immediate future
I mean implicitly as well, there are already engineers being highly productive with it for example.
Only a matter of time will companies realize they can hire a few engineers backed by ChatGPT to replace many.

Everybody is familiar with the 80/20 theory, this is basically putting that on the big screen.
I have a feeling it'll be an impact similar to how responsibility was delegated to automated QA from having a QA team. QA teams definitely weren't eliminated, but shrunk.

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Personally I prefer tech startups (past their Series B). If you have the background you’ll get a really good salary, plus quicker ability for promotions and ‘unscheduled’ pay raises if your value proves throughout the company. If you’re at a 100-150 person company, you can very quickly become seen as indispensable if your work is A1. If you’re at Google and Employee #74,658 it’s much harder to stand out at a level that materially changes your outlook, even if you do great work.

Not to mention the stock option / equity piece. Yes Google / Apple stock is an excellent way to stably build up wealth overtime via equity, but if you’re a startup and you get acquired, the wealth growth can be staggering. I’ve been in startups the last 7-8 years and apart of 2 acquisitions (working in the 3rd now) and it feels like I’ll stay in this game forever, unless a Big Tech firm comes around and offers me more than half a million a year (even then I’d have to think on it).

You can get 25-50k in Google equity every year and watch it mature to 200k over the next 5 years, or you can get 25-50k in equity in the startup, and upon acquisition you can 10x. Imagine owning .002% of a company, then one day yall get acquired for $4 Bn. That’s $8 million in equity once cashed out.

Thanks for answering my question. That's interesting because I imagine most people would want to work for the giant. You get to have their name on your resume and the benefits. Also like you said at the smaller company you're not just a number. If you like the folks you work with then that would be dope. But I think most people don't care if they have great work relationships just as long as the pay is good.
giant, that equity and now that i'm getting :old:, them benefits, both hit harder at big companies. you might get lucky and win the option lotto at a startup, but the path to a payout can take 5-10 years, i want my RSU's and annual bonus, fukk an option
I can understand that you want that bag and security.

thelonious21

I like my women tall
Daps
Reppin
Da Hood

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Do startups pay good? :lupe:

I wouldn’t touch until interest rates come back down

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Heard some shyt on sxm saying alot of the hires were just to achieve numbers. And weren't for a need .

A lot of smoke and mirrors in tech and it’s getting exposed. It’s all about looking better for investors. Companies who want to get purchased by a big fish, startups trying to raise money to public companies trying to boost their stock…all hired for “growth”. I’ve seen companies go on hiring blitzes with no actual need. “we need to hit these growth numbers”. What? The need is not there why are you hiring people with goofy titles? :why:. But money was free so hiring allowed them to get more funding. About meetings. I have way too many gotdamn meetings, let me do my fukking work! my workload has naturally increased. I don’t like where we are headed.