Tariq & Akademiks Arguing Over Origins of Hip Hop

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also why is a person not from the east coast giving his opinion. Don’t understand how someone from the other side of this country is giving akademiks a man from NJ a hip hop history lesson on a region that he’s from.

Imagine a FBA New Yorker going to Califnornia and giving some cali nikka G funk lessons and saying he can do that cause the Cali nikka is Belizean…

:gucci:
Doesn’t matter what coast your from. It’s possible for anyone to have done the knowledge to speak accurately on the culture.

What did Tariq say that was inaccurate? Because “Jamaicans invented hip hop” is not accurate and ya man immediately followed that by “I’m just telling you the story I heard”:dahell:

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
Them Carribbean old heads associate it with us anyway because apparently only we are the gangsters, drug dealers and baby mama havers

Also “rapping” has been in the vernacular and lexicon before hip hop

There’s countless videos of Jamaican OG’s admitting they got toasting from us. They admit it.

Last edited:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Also why is a person not from the east coast giving his opinion. Don’t understand how someone from the other side of this country is giving akademiks a man from NJ a hip hop history lesson on a region that he’s from.

Imagine a FBA New Yorker going to Califnornia and giving some cali nikka G funk lessons and saying he can do that cause the Cali nikka is Belizean…

With all due respect that’s really not a good analogy

I’d rather take a dude who is a Gen X late 40s early 50s word on the origins of the culture then a millennial someone who is in his late 20s regardless of what coast either of them are from

JamesJabdi

Superstar
Daps
There were African Americans in the Bronx that predate Kool Herc. Kool Herc is A founding father. Not THEE founding father. How is it that every other genre has a list of architects and many people share their credit of contributions, yet hip hop is the one genre where one man gets shoehorned into being the singular founding father? All these other black derived genres, there’s always a list of ppl who get credit for their contributions in the timeline. Yet they’re trying hard as hell to tie hip hop to one Jamaican man in the Bronx, even when that man himself said he was influenced by XYZ other godfathers and that his influences were wholly American. The revisionism feels like an agenda.

No shyt that there were FBA before Herc....FBA were first in new york in all boroughs....and FBA also had the biggest share in creating hip hop, but what i dont like is that they try to downplay kool herc cause he jamaican....this anti-kool herc rhetoric started when the ADOS team popped off.....suddenly marcus garvey was a c00n and kool herc was just a random jamaican. Thats some bogus shyt.

Ricky Fontaine

Superstar
Daps

How can someone whose lineage is from another country tell an American about what’s going on in America? See what I did there? :troll:

Shut up nikka you ain’t slick.

Uncouth Savage

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Batman and Robin
my only fear with this whole thing is eventually it will be wite people.....and specifically confederate soldier klan members who will be said to have made hip hop

"hip hop was made by my great great slave master grand daddy"

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Akademiks is not from New Jersey

He’s from Jamaica

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
You can’t call something rap before the term hip hop/rap was invented.

Miss me with that BS.
That's like saying you can't call something writing before the term literature was invented. That's false. Rap as term existed before hip-hop did. Hip-hop is the alchemy of the 5 pillars. Dj's were dj'ing before hip-hop. People were doing graffiti before hip-hop.