Taraji P Henson Wants To Put The Focus Back On The Color Purple Following Her Comments About Unequal Pay

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I haven't seen this version but Period pieces are extra expensive. Costumes and building sets are usually the most costly.
Didn't they use TP studios? The timeline in the book was vague in the Movie it seems like it took place sometime between theturn of the century and the early 1920's because Sophia (Oprah's character) had to get into the white lady's Model T car.

Max Power

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way
This is why I never spoke on this. I didn't want to come against a black brehette getting what she's due, but the timing just never made sense to me.

This probably made some people feel conflicted about seeing the movie. I ain't heard one thing about the movie, it's been all about Taraji.

Welp

The Matriachy got dudes afraid to speak their minds :mjcry: :mjlol:

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I mean I knew about shyt like this, just not this story tho. Crackas were out here cooking and eating slaves and making shoes and clothes out of their skin.
I didn't remember reading about it in the book but Malcolm X said that if a slave was particularly rebellious they'd send him to a small island in the Carribean and leave them there with the idea that they'd die. Many ADOS slaves were sold into slavery in the Carribean and france helped the George Washington to get there lick back to England and to Acquire Islands in the Carribean that the English took from Spain so they could engage in more slavery.

At that time Haiti was the most brutal place to be a slave and ithe colony was the most profitable.

King Poetic

The D.O.G.(Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Taraji wants a retirement pay check.. thats all she wants,, period

She don’t care about Fantasia or the other people she mentioned..

She been in the game over 20 years and could have easily transitioned into directing and producing films , instead of studios offering whatever they offering her..

Fire your agent and get u a better agent

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I don't even remember seeing trailers for it play during any movies..

hell I think the only time I saw the trailer was when I watched it on youtube
I went to the movies a couple weeks ago didn't see a trailer for TCP. But that could be because they didn't plan to make it available to the Colombian market.

To keep it a bean as much as I crticize movies like this they never show Black people in Latin movies like this at all meaning there's no mainsteam Black centered movies at all not even period pieces about slavery. People criticize wierd stunt casting like having Black Nobles in the Regency period in England but to Afro Latinos that's great to see because if there was no non traditional casting really anyplace outside of Africa would never see a positive representation of Black people and it's one reason why Black people get treated negatively when they're in other countries.

It aslo plays a role in how Black people see themselves which leads to wenching and divesting.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Taraji wants a retirement pay check.. thats all she wants,, period

She don’t care about Fantasia or the other people she mentioned..

She been in the game over 20 years and could have easily transitioned into directing and producing films , instead of studios offering whatever they offering her..

Fire your agent and get u a better agent
She has to know that she'll never work with Harpo or TP ever again. This had to be a crash out cash out mission.

Tasia could use the oppertunity and Halle is also on thin ice with her double flop there careers can and will be affected.

Danielle might be alright picking up roles that Monique would've gotten before she got black balled.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

:what:THESE IDIOTS SPENT 100MS
ON A COLOR PURPLE REMAKE?

:devil:
:evil:

Yup, 90 mill before marketing.

That budget was way too high IMO.

I liked the movie, but after hearing the budget afterwards....was like :huhldup:

even if the marketing budget was half the production budget, they'd need to make damn hear almost 300 mill to recoup from theaters alone. Dunno how much they'd get on streaming and replay rights over time, but geez.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Yup, 90 mill before marketing.

That budget was way too high IMO.

I liked the movie, but after hearing the budget afterwards....was like :huhldup:

even if the marketing budget was half the production budget, they'd need to make damn hear almost 300 mill to recoup from theaters alone. Dunno how much they'd get on streaming and replay rights over time, but geez.
The budget was obviously padded possibly to get Oprah and them a higher pay day.

They say Oprah moves like TP not paying Black people much and keeping most of the money.

She pulled the plug on Underground alledgelly because of Prodction costs

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The budget was obviously padded possibly to get Oprah and them a higher pay day.

They say Oprah moves like TP not paying Black people much and keeping most of the money.

She pulled the plug on Underground alledgelly because of Prodction costs

She had to fight WB to give more money to pay for the movie. Documented. I know cats don't like Oprah (not a big fan myself), but ain't totally blaming her on this.

Cac movies get inflated budgets all the time and flop, and the same producers/directors get chance after chance to continue in Hollywood.

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Didn't they use TP studios? The timeline in the book was vague in the Movie it seems like it took place sometime between theturn of the century and the early 1920's because Sophia (Oprah's character) had to get into the white lady's Model T car.
Not sure where it was shot

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
She had to fight WB to give more money to pay for the movie. Documented. I know cats don't like Oprah (not a big fan myself), but ain't totally blaming her on this.

Cac movies get inflated budgets all the time and flop, and the same producers/directors get chance after chance to continue in Hollywood.
Well you'd think they'd use some of that money on shyt for the actors and payroll.

Because Taraji kept her foot on their necks and they way she told it it seemed almost like a Tubi movie. I guess the songs were already licensed from the movie, the costumes weren't elaborate and they only used two cars in the orginal movie which they could've easily cut out so I don't see why the movie needed to be so expensive Taraji was the only big name they had.

The only thing I could see is that it was like Megan the Stallion's record deal with a million hands in the deal before she saw a dime so with all the logos proboly on the picture all of them got paid the most and got their money and their backend so that's probaly where the production dollars went aka padding the budhet.

They gave a few racks to this white teen tik toker to promote the movie she wore purple lipstick to promote the movie. If that ain't padding the budget I don't know what you'd call that.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Well shyt like this did happen:

This cracker was indeed the devil and he had a wench called Phibba that lived with him in the big house.

This cracker kept an runaway's head on a pike on the farm and he could make another slave defecate in another's mouth as punishment.

Even in the states there were Black slavemasters one of the frst enslaved people ended up becoming a buck and owning slaves.

Although in the vast majority of cases Black slaveowners bought members of their families to give them freedom.

Black people really had their history hidden from them.
can't trust public school system to tell you the true history of your people. They give you Disney at best versions of the real.

Didn't learn until college and later about a lot of the evil and fukked up shyt that happened that we werent' told of.

So much shyt.

- nikkaz fought back WAY MORE than we were taught. To the point that we had cacs falling back and leaving us be in many places
- Way more stories of shyt like Rosewood and Tulsa than we knew.
- nikkaz actually owning plantations run free slaves and shyt

So much we weren't taught of...and it was on purpose. They don't wanna hear about their dirt. Same way they try to make MLK some Santa Claus like figure and Malcolm the Miltant Devil when it actuality they were way more similar than we thought.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Well you'd think they'd use some of that money on shyt for the actors and payroll.

Because Taraji kept her foot on their necks and they way she told it it seemed almost like a Tubi movie. I guess the songs were already licensed from the movie, the costumes weren't elaborate and they only used two cars in the orginal movie which they could've easily cut out so I don't see why the movie needed to be so expensive Taraji was the only big name they had.

The only thing I could see is that it was like Megan the Stallion's record deal with a million hands in the deal before she saw a dime so with all the logos proboly on the picture all of them got paid the most and got their money and their backend so that's probaly where the production dollars went aka padding the budhet.

They gave a few racks to this white teen tik toker to promote the movie she wore purple lipstick to promote the movie. If that ain't padding the budget I don't know what you'd call that.

100%.

But the price on a lot of shyt has blown up tremendously too. You know they not letting us get and use shyt for the low low. They gonna raise the price on renting these materials, lots, historical homes and areas, etc.

I still think that budget was way too high, but who knows what went into it.

By comparison, La La Land's Budget was 30 million (38 million in today's dollars). HOW SWAY????