TALES OF VESPERIA DEFINITIVE EDITION --- SHOULD I COP?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The battle system of this game is one of a kind! Excellent mix between action and rpg. This should be replicated by xenogears.

Such a well done game.

Two of the best. Both great battle systems and despite Vesperia being much older it doesn't feel dated in battle mechanics. It does lack fast travel compared to Berseria though.

I'd say Vesperia is actually a prettier game because it's cartoon cel shaded graphics never depended on powerful hardware and still looks mad nice to this day.

Both have a great party. It's hard to top Eizen, Magilou, Velvet etc but Yuri IMO is the GOAT protagonist and Raven is another favorite of mine.

Storyline is where there's a gap. Vesperia might be my favorite tales but it's story definitely isn't that strong. It's charming characters and engaging world help make up for it but Berseria is probably the best storyline of the Tales. That or Abyss.

Berseria is really dark in tone compared to other tales. Vesperia is much lighter. Yuri being a renegade who doesn't mind dirtying his hands for the greater good was seen as a breath of fresh air back in the day. Velvet on the other hand kills so many people in Berseria that I lost count lol. Makes Yuri look softer than cotton.

Both great RPGs that should be in every collection.

So it took me a whole year later after buying the game to get to playing it and while I know it's an older game and I can see spurts of greatness in it, the battle system is mid-AF, Bs. Like my man @42 Monks said below, the shyt feels unresponsive at times. They got a pretty good set up of schematics for its battle system, but its execution HAD TO have felt a lil iffy even way back then. Definitely feels quite dated now. It's not as fluid as it wants to be for sure and a lot of it is simply cuz it gets in its own way with how to set some of it up. The fact that you have to go threw two different commands just to switch characters is part of it (to which is actually even further finagled in needing a special item first; thank god they at least knew somewhat better to just throw that item in a freebie grab bag in this definitive edition). Then you add how free free running the battle field is technically endless, but can only be done by holding a button or otherwise, you walk in a limited steps, straight line, as if it was a SRPG is just clunky AF.

After 20+ hours in, I can see once you get enough good special attacks you can make the mechanics chain a lil better since the other attacks are more powerful and longer combo strings, but it's still limiting with its other mechanics. Tho I can imagine that playing this with 3 other players that truly understand the game and the characters they choose and ya'll synchronize ya'll attacks could up the ante. Unfortunately, I damn sure ain't going to have 3 other people to roll with me to play this at any player/game knowledge level, let alone to knowing the system like that. I wish they updated it more for this DE version. I like the game, but I'm not quite sure outright Love it and I know that's at least partly cuz of the antiquation of it. Tho that's not always a good excuse either, cuz plenty of old ass games systems still hold up well today, despite lacking some more modern advances. Some of the hit detection is off. Thankfully, the gfx (or rather its art style) and the cool characters and music intrigues me enough to push onwards with it, cuz there were definitely points of me wanting to shelf it cuz of the stiff, limited battle mechanics. It's cooking and other mechanics behind weapon upgrades and synthesizing is pretty good too, but I don't think they paced out the mechanics of that either very well.

Vesperia is gonna feel really empty and the battle system legit doesn't even come close imo

I like Vesperia a lot. *Maybe liked it a lot when it came out

but the game doesn't hold a candle to later tales games imo. The story is good but man its a ROUGH start to the game and the battle system feels unresponsive as fukk.

People gotta realize that a 'bad' tales game since Vesperia has come out still has much, much better gameplay and AI. Even out the gates I've seen bosses just sit still and spam supers endlessly - it was bad in Xillia but even worse in Vesperia. You compare it to Graces F or Berseria, games I feel that just get the gameplay down perfectly, and it just doesn't hold up.

From what I've seen of Berseria, it does look like the get a lot closer to mastering what they wanted the gameplay to be like in their games. That's good. Can't wait to beat this one to roll threw that one. I turned on Bereseria for a hot second, but was like, "Nah, I don't wanna get acclimated to this and try to go back and be further disappointed in the battle system."

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
So it took me a whole year later after buying the game to get to playing it and while I know it's an older game and I can see spurts of greatness in it, the battle system is mid-AF, Bs. Like my man @42 Monks said below, the shyt feels unresponsive at times. They got a pretty good set up of schematics for its battle system, but its execution HAD TO have felt a lil iffy even way back then. Definitely feels quite dated now. It's not as fluid as it wants to be for sure and a lot of it is simply cuz it gets in its own way with how to set some of it up. The fact that you have to go threw two different commands just to switch characters is part of it (to which is actually even further finagled in needing a special item first; thank god they at least knew somewhat better to just throw that item in a freebie grab bag in this definitive edition). Then you add how free free running the battle field is technically endless, but can only be done by holding a button or otherwise, you walk in a limited steps, straight line, as if it was a SRPG is just clunky AF.

After 20+ hours in, I can see once you get enough good special attacks you can make the mechanics chain a lil better since the other attacks are more powerful and longer combo strings, but it's still limiting with its other mechanics. Tho I can imagine that playing this with 3 other players that truly understand the game and the characters they choose and ya'll synchronize ya'll attacks could up the ante. Unfortunately, I damn sure ain't going to have 3 other people to roll with me to play this at any player/game knowledge level, let alone to knowing the system like that. I wish they updated it more for this DE version. I like the game, but I'm not quite sure outright Love it and I know that's at least partly cuz of the antiquation of it. Tho that's not always a good excuse either, cuz plenty of old ass games systems still hold up well today, despite lacking some more modern advances. Some of the hit detection is off. Thankfully, the gfx (or rather its art style) and the cool characters and music intrigues me enough to push onwards with it, cuz there were definitely points of me wanting to shelf it cuz of the stiff, limited battle mechanics. It's cooking and other mechanics behind weapon upgrades and synthesizing is pretty good too, but I don't think they paced out the mechanics of that either very well.

From what I've seen of Berseria, it does look like the get a lot closer to mastering what they wanted the gameplay to be like in their games. That's good. Can't wait to beat this one to roll threw that one. I turned on Bereseria for a hot second, but was like, "Nah, I don't wanna get acclimated to this and try to go back and be further disappointed in the battle system."
Its hard going back man. But Vesperia does get substantially better as things progress at least - its just obvious where the limitations are quite early on these days.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Its hard going back man. But Vesperia does get substantially better as things progress at least - its just obvious where the limitations are quite early on these days.

Yeah, I'm finally getting the hang of the combat despite its limitations and I can see a lot of depth is there to it. Seems to definitely come in handy with playing the game on Hard mode, which I am doing.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I'm finally getting the hang of the combat despite its limitations and I can see a lot of depth is there to it. Seems to definitely come in handy with playing the game on Hard mode, which I am doing.
My favorite Tales battle system beside Graces F. Every character can become a beast in battle. Seeing this thread be upped makes me want to dive back in:wow:

but I started Vesperia on the Switch a few weeks ago and I never played as Flyn so I might just stick with it.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
My favorite Tales battle system beside Graces F. Every character can become a beast in battle. Seeing this thread be upped makes me want to dive back in:wow:

but I started Vesperia on the Switch a few weeks ago and I never played as Flyn so I might just stick with it.

Word. So I just finally got Judith a minute ago, but have yet to get a chance to play as Flynn yet. About how much further into the game do I have? I'm like 52 hours into it, but I'd reckon a good half of that is simply idle time, smh. Current level is 28 and playing on Hard mode.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:Versperia had one of the best battle systems in RPG history-- fukk you mean?

:mjlol:You could do fighting game type combos on that bytch! Even do an infinite combo! shyt is fire yaw trippin!

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
:mjlol:Versperia had one of the best battle systems in RPG history-- fukk you mean?

:mjlol:You could do fighting game type combos on that bytch! Even do an infinite combo! shyt is fire yaw trippin!

It has depth and combos, but it's movement system is very limiting and awkward as fukk. And having to essentially pause to change characters is archaic at this point.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
It doesn't even have a top 5 battle system for Tales games.

Graces F's combat is crack

but it might be the WORST story of all fukking time :scust:

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
great game but it probably should be the beginning for newcomers, since its a balance between og tales and newer ones imo

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
It has depth and combos, but it's movement system is very limiting and awkward as fukk. And having to essentially pause to change characters is archaic at this point.

are u playing the og xbox 360 or the ps4/swithc version? because the switch version the gameplay is smooth and the free roam is fine

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
are u playing the og xbox 360 or the ps4/swithc version? because the switch version the gameplay is smooth and the free roam is fine
the free roam is objectively jacked up in its implementation. you either move how you 'should' and can't hit shyt because hit detection is basically an educated guess or you put yourself on rails the majority of the time only moving freely to reposition occasionally

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

Playing on PS4 Pro. And it's not the platform, it's the antiquated system of the game. If you can't see why holding a button just to walk in 3d is old as fukk and jacked in this day in age, Ionno what else to tell you, lol. I guess it may have been good for it's time, but even then...eh. shyt was made in 2008, not 1998.

the free roam is objectively jacked up in its implementation. you either move how you 'should' and can't hit shyt because hit detection is basically an educated guess or you put yourself on rails the majority of the time only moving freely to reposition occasionally

Exactly! This guy gets it. I end up straight up missing attacks because even I'm targeting an enemy right by me, the free roam will turn me around and shyt. The fighting system is good, but could've been great if it wasn't all awkward.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I mean, yeah, once you actually land a hit and set it up right, you can do some cool juggles and lockdown enemies.

The problem is before you get to that, you have to actually land a hit. And god fukking forbid you get surrounded or deal with a boss that's just walking through your shyt until you get past their damage gate.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
Playing on PS4 Pro. And it's not the platform, it's the antiquated system of the game. If you can't see why holding a button just to walk in 3d is old as fukk and jacked in this day in age, Ionno what else to tell you, lol. I guess it may have been good for it's time, but even then...eh. shyt was made in 2008, not 1998.

Exactly! This guy gets it. I end up straight up missing attacks because even I'm targeting an enemy right by me, the free roam will turn me around and shyt. The fighting system is good, but could've been great if it wasn't all awkward.

no it is antiquated u right, am saying that on the switch version i played it on u didnt have to hold down the L2 or left triger to free roam after a while u get a skill that lets u do it without it. :russ: but u right it is antiquated no questions

but overall both u guys make valid points, so i can see why ur complaining maybe its the switch version thing idk

am a download the game again and see if u right cuzz i swear after a while u no longer have to hold down the trigger button

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It doesn't even have a top 5 battle system for Tales games.

Graces F's combat is crack

but it might be the WORST story of all fukking time :scust:
Yeah the story was low tier but the combat:wow:

if it wasn’t for the combat it would be Xillia levels of bad