Tales Of Berseria. January 24th

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I played too long. Almost 9 hours in a day. Good game but it lacks some of the humor other games in the series have. Seems like the humor was replaced with dark and edgy content. Your party is definitely not heroes. They do some messed up stuff early on and Velvet is straight ruthless. Magilou is the only consistency funny character. She's like a blend of Edna from the last game, Jade from Abyss, and Pascal from Graces. Battle system is better than the last game.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I played too long. Almost 9 hours in a day. Good game but it lacks some of the humor other games in the series have. Seems like the humor was replaced with dark and edgy content. Your party is definitely not heroes. They do some messed up stuff early on and Velvet is straight ruthless. Magilou is the only consistency funny character. She's like a blend of Edna from the last game, Jade from Abyss, and Pascal from Graces. Battle system is better than the last game.
Its there but early on they set the tone with how fukked up shyt is.

Like other Tales games, there's several changes in theme as the story moves along.

edit: Eizen's playstyle is :wow:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Just started this.

Ysll right about the beginning being very slow.

How long before it opens up?
The beginning is actually pretty short. I don't think the game opens up really until the end. I've heard that due to the nature of your party being what amounts to a bunch of criminals many places are inaccessible.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
The beginning is actually pretty short. I don't think the game opens up really until the end. I've heard that due to the nature of your party being what amounts to a bunch of criminals many places are inaccessible.
So it's a lot less open than zestiria and more linear?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Just started this.

Ysll right about the beginning being very slow.

How long before it opens up?
It opens up in like.... an hour I guess? The village prologue is as long or short as you want it to be imo. I wasted time speaking to everyone and fukking around with combat mechanics and options before just plugging on through and getting to the obvious story jump.

Then you got the jailbreak and the story proceeds naturally from there on.
So it's a lot less open than zestiria and more linear?
Wouldn't say that at all. Zestiria was pretty much on rails until it 'opened up' arbitrarily at the halfway mark. Doesn't seem like its gonna have those kinds of vibes just because of ship stuff though... I could be wrong.

I can't give you an honest answer though as I'm only a dozen hours in.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Story is easily better than the last few Tales games :beli:

Equipment leveling makes you actually want to ramp up the difficulty and legit get better at the game :leostare:

This world is shady :wow:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It opens up in like.... an hour I guess? The village prologue is as long or short as you want it to be imo. I wasted time speaking to everyone and fukking around with combat mechanics and options before just plugging on through and getting to the obvious story jump.

Then you got the jailbreak and the story proceeds naturally from there on.

Wouldn't say that at all. Zestiria was pretty much on rails until it 'opened up' arbitrarily at the halfway mark. Doesn't seem like its gonna have those kinds of vibes just because of ship stuff though... I could be wrong.

I can't give you an honest answer though as I'm only a dozen hours in.
I'm 12 hours in and I just got the final party member. The game has been mostly linear so far with no real ability to go back to the previous towns.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Would this be a good place to jump into the Tales series? I also have Zestiria (free on Hong Kong PSN) and Vesperia (PS3).

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Would this be a good place to jump into the Tales series? I also have Zestiria (free on Hong Kong PSN) and Vesperia (PS3).
Zestiria is intended to be played before this. This game is a prequel and brings insight to plot points revealed in that game.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Zestiria is intended to be played before this. This game is a prequel and brings insight to plot points revealed in that game.
Its got easter eggs here and there, but its not necessary at all.
I'm 12 hours in and I just got the final party member. The game has been mostly linear so far with no real ability to go back to the previous towns.
Not true. You can jump back to any town that isn't blocked off by story reasons. Also, 12 hours ain't shyt in a tales games.
Not really bothered about the story though. Which has the best gameplay?
Gameplay is some of the best in the series. That's not an uncommon opinion either.