Swizz Beats in his feelings after barely making the top 20 NYC producers of all time

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Breh, all of the producers we love are what they are because of the MC's who spit over their beats. It would be like discrediting Premo by saying nobody would hold him in high regard if Biggie, Jay, and Nas hadn't spit over his beats. I've seen people actually try and make that case. We know that the work he did for Nas Jay Z, Biggie, etc. is a huge reason why he's held in high regard because that's the work people are most familiar with.
thank you

and I always thought a producer job was to bring the best out a MC. Dude can’t be lucky this many damn times. So saying rappers carried his beats is straight bs

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Producing a whole album for Group Home did more for Premier than any other producer. It solidified him that he in FACT was THAT DOPE of a PRODUCER and could make ANYONE sound nice on his beats. Imagine if some of those beats would've gone to Nas, Biggie, Jay, Meth etc? :ohhh:
nobody give a fukk about that album or beats on the album but a small segment yall forum dweebs

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
thank you

and I always thought a producer job was to bring the best out a MC. Dude can’t be lucky this many damn times. So saying rappers carried his beats is straight bs

People really have no idea what a producer's job is on here. There's been a lot of similar threads.

A beatmaker and a producer are not the same thing.

Remember that song with juvenile and drag-on where he sped up the beat when they started going in. that shyt was ill af :ohlawd:

Swiss beats has more longevity than the majority of that list.

He debuted in 98 and kept going.

He just had a song on Vultures.

From Mya, Wayne, TI, Pusha T, Niki Minaj etc etc.

Over 2 decades of being relevant and contributing to some of the biggest albums of the genre.

He's worked with damn near everyone and contributed to more than a handful of classic albums crossing multiple genres without sacrificing his style.

Almost nobody on that list can say that.

Some of better producers had REALLY short runs.

Or were in reality a lot of them just really dope beat makers?

Nobody wanna talk about that part.

Breh got it at the mud and came from a royal dynasty of hip-hop.

And he took it FR and got a lot better and kept working at it.

Since this thread I've been bumping all of the ruff Ryders complications. I forgot how dope part 4 was. Swiss laced Cassidy so raw back then :blessed:

914; home of the brave....home of the underdog :demonic:

Last edited:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
it aint like its from Hot97 or sum so I don't see why hed be cheesed

Swizz isn't the most versatile producer either so I understand why he's ranked lower

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Swizz getting sued a lot, but the suit that popped up in the magazines back then, was the one with Roland. For this sh*t:

9516c6f4809ef12138d80120054556f5_w200.gif

Damn, he didn't run that bish through a filter, chop it or nothing :lolbron:

That's nasty work Swizz.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
F*kk that tambourine Swizz

:wow:

Arguably my favorite Pete rock 8n rge wild club moment. Was when this was spun in the alcatraz.

Yet the problem with Pete rock once again even in this.

Pete rock generally before this common album. Always remixed the dope rappers. Pete rock would never engage for a solo before this common album woth a legendary real skilled emcee. All so Pete could rap.
.Pete knew he not supposed to even try to ask on this record. If this was not jeru. Pete would have given some fake knowledge if self verse and ruined this record.

Yet since it is a top tier emcee. Pete rock got his money earning you t Vernon style ad Lib on like puff stole.
The whole knock on Pete is because he tries to infringe on inferior rappeslrs. When he knows he violating as a producer trying to rap.
Pete rock just lucky he never came across a real emcee who worked up from cypher'n frfr. Or Pete would have been told to stfu by a dope emcee. Or Pete would have known not to even try that shyt.

Art Barr

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
The difference is, Primo, Pete Rock, Large Professor, etc.. have a LOT of beats that aren't carried by rappers. They are just incredible beats as instrumentals.

He damn near got a classic album out of Group Home, two of the worst MCs known to man, simply because his beats were so fire on that album it was impossible to ruin, even with below average rapping.

My favorite Pete Rock albums isn't even with CL Smooth, it's with INI & Deda (and let's just say they are not the best rappers in the world either), and it's all because the production on that album is some of the best I ever heard.

Swizz not like that. Swizz beats on there own, mostly (with some exceptions, of course) are just not good.

All facts.

Summer '95, Pete was leaking all of the Deda tracks. And I remembered dude from Mecca and The Soul Brother and felt he was just an aight MC. But once again, Pete could literally work with anyone and make sh*t sound dope. So I was playing those Deda tracks like he was one of the best rappers of all-time spittin'. It was the same with the INI sh*t later that year. I went and copped the A.D.O.R. "Let It All Hang Out" single back when I was in junior high school just because Pete did the beat and it was crazy! Dude was a trash rapper, but Pete produced it, so I needed the song.

Only the greats have that kinda talent, where it doesn't even matter who is on the beat, you're gonna cop it just because the producer is next level. Just like the little beat interludes Pete used to do between songs on the albums with CL. We used to make pause tapes back then, just to make the beat longer so we could vibe out to Pete's beats even though nobody was rapping on those. And that's what separates the true greats from the other dudes in the game.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
Breh, all of the producers we love are what they are because of the MC's who spit over their beats. It would be like discrediting Premo by saying nobody would hold him in high regard if Biggie, Jay, and Nas hadn't spit over his beats. I've seen people actually try and make that case. We know that the work he did for Nas Jay Z, Biggie, etc. is a huge reason why he's held in high regard because that's the work people are most familiar with.
Premo carried GROUP HOME an entire album.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
He made 1 beat, 25 thousand ways. 0 versatility :manny:

It was still amazing at the time though in the Double R heyday :blessed:

he was TERRIBLE when he first came out with that cut & paste casio bullshyt. he started changing his sound in the 2010's finally to the point where his shyt was finally listenable.

that said, he should be happy they did put him in the top 20. I know I'm not a major fan of his sound for the most part. especially his OG sound. that's some :trash:

Last edited:

CHERUB

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This shyt just coming of as NYC hate thats it. Or most of yall like 23 years old. This a fake narrative I aint not once heard someone say Swizz beats is trash offline. Do some some beats sound similar yes but i was outside during the late 90s onward and if any of you new net nikkas was too you wouldn't even fix ya face to say some shyt like this about a nikka thats a founding member of Ruff Ryders. And yall talking about carrying shyt Swizz carried Ruff Ryders and DMX and the LOX for decade. Man fukk this disingenuous thread. Im sick of you new nikkas that wasnt there try to rewrite history

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
He left out beatminerz

I saw them on the list.

EDIT, no they didn't put them on the list, and that's blasphemous.

also, the alchemist gotta be on that list just off his work with mobb deep alone. hell, I think he's better than havok, who's ranked top 5.

and if primo is on that list, so should the alchemist.