Swizz Beats in his feelings after barely making the top 20 NYC producers of all time

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Swizz deserves to be on there but not very high lol

Him being a bougie socialite type did wonders for his legacy and brand

Musically he's Jazze Pha status, would you listen to a Swizz instrumental?

Why is it the criteria of who would listen to a Swizz instrumental? If that's the criteria, you might as well knock a lot of these dudes off the list. The same BS is the whole "elite MC's saved those beats". We wouldn't have the same respect for a lot of beats had they went to other MC's. "Halftime" with Busta instead of Nas doesn't hit the same.

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
25 years ago, all of these songs were in rotation heavily:

Down Bottom
Jigga My nikka
Scenario 2000
What Ya'll Want
Gotta Man

^^^ Outside of "Jigga My nikka" and "Scenario 2000" there were no elite MC's on these joints.

I hated "Girl's Best Friend", but that one was big too. Outside of maybe the Eve joints, the rest still hold up 25 years later.

G code came out in 99 and Eve sold 2 million in 99.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why is it the criteria of who would listen to a Swizz instrumental? If that's the criteria, you might as well knock a lot of these dudes off the list. The same BS is the whole "elite MC's saved those beats". We wouldn't have the same respect for a lot of beats had they went to other MC's. "Halftime" with Busta instead of Nas doesn't hit the same.
I think he belongs on the list, like I said lol but not that high

I don't think instrumentals are the main criteria but it does tell you a bit about the beats standing on their own

Halftime is Large Professor and most producers recognize what him and Marley Marl meant to the east coast sound

While it's usually mainstream flavored, Swizz makes street music and there's always going to be respect for that

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of that was working the room and charisma

Just should absolutely mop the floor with him in terms of production quality, but he's a nerd and did weird remixes to his beats. Swizz is extremely confident and boisterous in that type of environment and had his own crew with him

People were losing their minds over the X, Jay, Nas record he previewed and that came out like a wet fart when it actually released

No Swizz's production os built for that type of setting: hype, anthemic type beats. Just Blaze has songs like "U Don't Know'" which match the energy, but those songs aren't Just's main draw. It's like putting Jay Z against Bust Rhymes. Jay Z is a better rapper, but him playing Dead Presidents II" against "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" would be an L.

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
from a hit standpoint hes up there with the top names, from a celeb status standpoint hes probably number 1

but hes always been hit or miss and hes really not all that, dame grease was the better dmx producer

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
No Swizz's production os built for that type of setting: hype, anthemic type beats. Just Blaze has songs like "U Don't Know'" which match the energy, but those songs aren't Just's main draw. It's like putting Jay Z against Bust Rhymes. Jay Z is a better rapper, but him playing Dead Presidents II" against "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See" would be an L.
Let's agree to disagree. Busta would get a few rounds, but Jay Z would definitely win that versus battle lol

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
also I dont understand his logic that 808 melo and axl beats qualify despite being from overseas but just blaze, premo and alchemist dont

does he think 808 melo and axl created that drill sound? all they did was make DJ L type beats and they werent the only ones doing that especially in the 2016-2019 era, to axl's credit he was one of the earlier ones alongside yamaica but that sound wasnt new, and they havent really produced anything of note in NY since pops passing

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think the problem with Swizz music, and a lot of street music in general is the lack of artistic pathos to it. It typically doesn't age well, but the folks that were there and remember it know what it means. You can't reduce that either

Illmatic will continue to be discovered by new generations and appreciated, but Ruff Ryders Vol 1 (a personal classic) is not going to get brought up by newer listeners

It's like saying that a Madden game is the best game ever because you played it for hours with your friends and everyone you know did too. Something like Metal Gear Solid changed games forever though, and everyone who makes games knows that

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is a typical Coli cop out.

Madden, like Swizz were and to an extent still popular. This was huat aome cult following and niche audience. On this one The Booth is out of touch.
I'm trying to meet you halfway here lol but we can agree to disagree

Pete Rock got number 1 and while I may have put Premier or Marley there, I get it.

The TROY beat is a masterclass in sample based production. Finding that horn sample, flipping it that way... the layering of different sounds and the whole structure of the song is incredible. People took that and built on it. Pete's early projects, while not amazing saleswise, showcased someone pushing the boundaries of the NY sound and adapting to the technology changing at the time but still on the SP...

Swizz just has nothing on that level. He has bangers, lots of them, over a long period of time so he deserves his flowers but it's a completely different game IMO

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
swizz is lucky to even be top 20 :pachaha:

rza not in the top 5:hhh:
I mean if you look at the top 5 somebody was bound to get snubbed. But personally I think RZA easily goes over Havoc. I prefer Havoc at his peak but RZA made a whole movement and had an insane output-quality ratio in 94-96

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm trying to meet you halfway here lol but we can agree to disagree

Pete Rock got number 1 and while I may have put Premier or Marley there, I get it.

The TROY beat is a masterclass in sample based production. Finding that horn sample, flipping it that way... the layering of different sounds and the whole structure of the song is incredible. People took that and built on it. Pete's early projects, while not amazing saleswise, showcased someone pushing the boundaries of the NY sound and adapting to the technology changing at the time but still on the SP...

Swizz just has nothing on that level. He has bangers, lots of them, over a long period of time so he deserves his flowers but it's a completely different game IMO

Swizz Beatz changed NY production though. You can't take that away from him. Swizz was a part of the Timbaland, Neptunes, and Mannie Fresh wave that changed Hip Hop production. When Nore dropped his solo debut, it sonically showed where NY Hip Hop was going. Same goes for Jay's Vol. 2 and Vol. 3.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
I’m glad that Havoc made it to number 5 at least…

The Beatnuts too.

Swizz Beatz got on due to nepotism and let’s be real, Dame Grease made better stuff than him. The only reason that Swizz ever got those chances was due to Dame Grease not signing with them.

Dame Grease is a legend in my book. Hopefully, he has some heat in the stash for Max and I pray that we get that DMX album.