Superheroes doing their best impersonation of Ironman, being the norm now...

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Ehhhh the director Kenneth Branagh was the one that cited Shakespeare as a source of reference for the first movie.
And Kevin Feige called Winter Soldier a political thriller. People say a lot of things:skip: Branagh's directed like 5 actual Shakespeare adaptation movies. He's acted in others. He comes from the stage in Britain. He's going to try to explain shyt from that lens of experience. Thor has familial squabbling/rivalry and struggles for power. That doesn't make it Shakespearean. If it did, I could cite Shakespeare for a ton of different films. In fact, there are arguments that have been made that every narrative since Shakespeare (books, poems, movies, tv shows) directly steals from something that he wrote. That's obviously not true. Trust, I'd laugh at Branagh if he said Thor was inspired by Beowulf, and that would be much easier to defend

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
And Kevin Feige called Winter Soldier a political thriller. People say a lot of things:skip: Branagh's directed like 5 actual Shakespeare adaptation movies. He's acted in others. He comes from the stage in Britain. He's going to try to explain shyt from that lens of experience. Thor has familial squabbling/rivalry and struggles for power. That doesn't make it Shakespearean. If it did, I could cite Shakespeare for a ton of different films. In fact, there are arguments that have been made that every narrative since Shakespeare (books, poems, movies, tv shows) directly steals from something that he wrote. That's obviously not true. Trust, I'd laugh at Branagh if he said Thor was inspired by Beowulf, and that would be much easier to defend

:skip:I am only telling you what the director cited he was going for. He was the vision behind the film and that’s what he stated.:manny:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While true, Marvel specifically has rarely gone the serious/salacious route. They mostly keep it fun.
Plus, having serious/realistic superhero movies is a much heavier lift. It's grown folks wearing masks and capes fighting crime while breaking the law themselves. If you add any actual seriousness to it these people are psychopaths with chemically imbalanced brains. The cool factor is way harder to maintain. :yeshrug:
Their modern stuff has more humor in it(which I really can't get into) but growing up I don't remember it being that much humor in non humor titles.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
:skip:I am only telling you what the director cited he was going for. He was the vision behind the film and that’s what he stated.:manny:
I'm not saying you're lying, breh. I'm saying that there wasn't anything Shakespearean about the movie outside of very general themes that can be found in tons of other movies. I explained dude's background because I didn't want to come off as if I was arguing for the sake of argument, but instead that I was familiar with dude and his possible motivation for saying what he did.

Matter fact:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/movi...26/AFDr4n6E_story.html?utm_term=.09bed2343c7f
“What Ken offered us was someone who was familiar with staying rooted in the drama and the interaction of the family. And that’s the crux of ‘Thor,’ which is the story of a father” — Hopkins as Odin — “and two brothers” – Hemsworth’s Thor and Tom Hiddleston’s Loki – “set against this massive canvas of other worlds and superpowers.”

Branagh sensed common ground with Marvel from the beginning. “I knew of their concerns about handling the drama in a royal family,” he said, “and I knew they were happy with someone who knew about working with that and fancy costumes. They also thought I would be part of what would attract actors — and that could only benefit, having real actors for the roles.”

The parallels to directing Shakespeare might sound forced, but Branagh insists they exist. “Prince Hal in the ‘Henry IV’ plays is as reckless as Thor is in the brutish beginning of our film,” he said. “There you have Hotspur as a rival; here we have Loki. Also, in ‘Hamlet’ and ‘Henry V,’ conflicts may change whole nations, and so it is in ‘Thor.’ The universe is at stake if Thor gets it wrong.”

That's an extremely general reason to try to parallel Thor and Shakespeare. Branagh is just a Shakespeare guy in general:manny:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You are mistaken. Most of it had humor in them. :manny:
Any humor was a like a panel or two no different from what DC were doing.
My first Marvel comic was this Thor 413
3014459-thor+v1966+%23413+-+within+me+dwells+a+monster%21+%281990_1%29+-+page+1.jpg

And going off memory it had no humor and if it did it was one panel and wasn't out and out intentional humor. That was left to Sensational She-Hulk and Damage Control. I don't remember any of the books I was reading back then (Thor, Daredevil, X-Men) being as comedic (if having any comedy at all) as the average MCU movie.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
3014459-thor+v1966+%23413+-+within+me+dwells+a+monster%21+%281990_1%29+-+page+1.jpg

And going off memory it had no humor and if it did it was one panel and wasn't out and out intentional humor. That was left to Sensational She-Hulk and Damage Control. I don't remember any of the books I was reading back then (Thor, Daredevil, X-Men) being as comedic (if having any comedy at all) as the average MCU movie.
anyone who says comicbook characters are supposed to be funny never read comics. Specific characters like deadpool and spiderman were funny. not all of them

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

Sorry you are wrong, I don't know what to tell you. :yeshrug:
Google 'funny Thor panels' and their will be many that predate this. And I mean he wasn't spitting one liners but much of the contents were meant to be funny. The entire way he spoke was one big joke. Maybe it was over your head?

thor__s_creamsicle_by_cotthehobo.jpg

95769058210d030f22d2e3568b5ffe119e3e0d1a_hq.jpg

0c3a4e8058335c723553292cf6510725.jpg

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry you are wrong, I don't know what to tell you. :yeshrug:
Google 'funny Thor panels' and their will be many that predate this. And I mean he wasn't spitting one liners but much of the contents were meant to be funny. The entire way he spoke was one big joke. Maybe it was over your head?

thor__s_creamsicle_by_cotthehobo.jpg

95769058210d030f22d2e3568b5ffe119e3e0d1a_hq.jpg

0c3a4e8058335c723553292cf6510725.jpg
:snoop:
Like I mentioned before, you would have a panel or two before that wasn't the overall tone and not in every issue.

The first and third picture look silver age and those were par for the course back during that age. The middle picture looks out of context and even that picture alone I don't see what's funny about it.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
frontin ass fake ass comic book readers in here.
:beli:

dont fukk with MCU if you not "feeling" the shyt.
:beli:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
:snoop:
Like I mentioned before, you would have a panel or two before that wasn't the overall tone and not in every issue.

The first and third picture look silver age and those were par for the course back during that age. The middle picture looks out of context and even that picture alone I don't see what's funny about it.
Look up, because it's just over your head. lol