Superheroes doing their best impersonation of Ironman, being the norm now...

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
lol people love comedy in their comic book movies (even tho the latest comic book movie which is a phenomenon barely has any comedy) and then they also won't mind higher ticket prices. Where's the correlation?! :mjlol:
That's seems to be a myth actually. The sales of the MCU movies don't seem to have any correlation between humor and numbers. Civil War and Black Panther both sold more than the more comical ones like Antman, Ragnorak ,Guardians and Spiderman. People just like a good movie doesn't have to be all jokes.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
In Winter Soldier they turned down the comedy but Civil War had way too much comedy for the stakes involved. I still liked it but that was one of my criticisms of it.

I thought humour was injected where it was needed ( Spider-Man etc.......)it wasn’t as over blown as some other Marvel titles.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
do yall ever get tired of making these threads? either stop watching comic book movies or watch a fukking trailer and figure out what you're getting into. Besides age of ultron all of the marvel trailers let u know the tone beforehand.
In Winter Soldier they turned down the comedy but Civil War had way too much comedy for the stakes involved. I still liked it but that was one of my criticisms of it.
Besides the airplane scene idk wtf you're talkin bout. What are these "stakes" as well. If u thought they were gonna kill each other then that was your fault and it was a dumb thought. Literally two ppl died in the comic and one was because he was killed by a cyborg/android/robot (or whatever u wanna call it)....Was their any comedy in the fight between tony, cap, and winter soldier? no, because those were REAL stakes and not just a fight where one group wanted to contain the other. God yall are annoying. Go kill off half your day with the BvS director's cut if u need emo comic shyt so bad

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Complain about comedy in a comicbook movie brehs.

My complaint isn't about comedy as whole in superhero movies....its about said superhero leads becoming "stand ups" with the same style of topical humor. Its boring. RDJ did it in one franchise and now everyone has 10 extra lines trying to be funny. The beginning of Thor Ragnarok is a perfect example.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
It was cool in 2008, even 2012 but at this point the formula is getting tiresome. That’s why I don’t get why people are so happy about mutants in the MCU.

Do we really want to see Wolverine making quips for 2 hours?

This is ultimately the problem for me....I don't mind some humor, or even the silly/quippy antithesis to the straight-man lead, ala Decon Frost to Blade(Blade 1 of course). Using that very same franchise, they turned it into a Mad TV sketch in part three and had blade saying lines this;

The scene is bad enough by itself, but then Blade delivering that hammy line made me hope it didn't catch on. Then there's Ryan Reynolds literally trying his hardest to be a comedian throughout the whole film. Again, works for Deadpool, not for Blade, or Thor.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
My complaint isn't about comedy as whole in superhero movies....its about said superhero leads becoming "stand ups" with the same style of topical humor. Its boring. RDJ did it in one franchise and now everyone has 10 extra lines trying to be funny. The beginning of Thor Ragnarok is a perfect example.
Ragnarok's a comedy though. You can't complain about jokes in a comedy. You can complain about the quality of them but to say the jokes don't belong just doesn't make sense :pachaha:

If you walked into Ant-Man or Deadpool expecting serious films that's kind of on you at this point :yeshrug:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ragnarok's a comedy though. You can't complain about jokes in a comedy. You can complain about the quality of them but to say the jokes don't belong just doesn't make sense :pachaha:

If you walked into Ant-Man or Deadpool expecting serious films that's kind of on you at this point :yeshrug:

Idk about it being a "comedy" per say. Its a Superhero film, and with that, comedy is a given, or some type of humor. But labeling it a comedy is a bit misleading especially since it was never presented or labeled that. Again, I'm not complaining that said movies have jokes, my complaint is that they let the leads and even the supporting cast, go on for longer than wanted. Its like a Michael Bay film, some scenes drag on too long with trying to be funny.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
It ain't even humor per se, it's camp.

Lowkey Ninja turtles and Batman did that shyt first. Turtles II was campy af but the first isn't, they're both classic for diff. reasons.

Banter is perfect though. That's a comic book staple...

Which makes sense for the turtles, since everything about the franchise, both on film and tv, has been campy. Burton gave Batman some very dry humor when it came ot Keaton which worked, and we all know Nicholson knocked it out of the ballpark. Ultimately the 80/90's were all about camp and corny one-liners, and that's fine, since they're very few and far in between. But these days, everyone is either doing their best Chris Pratt or RDJ impression...and its using the same genre of topical humor.

Last edited: