Suburbs Are Home To The Largest and Fastest-Growing Poor Population In The Country

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Anyone can see this coming but at the end of the day, The suburbs in Dallas are still safe while Dallas still gets over 100 murders a year.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Interesting that we immediately associate poor with black. In Dallas, you have mostly black suburbs like Lancaster, DeSoto, Cedar Hill and Duncanville, while you have others with huge black populations like Grand Prairie, Arlington and Mansfield. These are not middle class suburbs with new schools and mostly nice, new homes, good shopping, lakes etc. A lot of this has been migration out of South Dallas and Oak Cliff that has caught on as middle class blacks move to the area. You have some of the phenomena the article is talking about, but what they are referring to is happening mainly in the northern inner-ring suburbs. Places like Garland, Mesquite, Richardson, Carrollton were the middle-class and working class suburbs. Lots of smaller suburban spec housing and lots of "adult" apartment complexes. From personal experience you had a couple of things going on. Garland has a lot of industrial jobs and lots of older suburban housing. So illegal immigrants flocked their and place like Carrollton and south Irving where they could get a green card job or at least get a decent house and work construction in the newer suburbs like Rowlett, Plano, Coppell, North Irving. You also had a lot of property owners renting this cheap housing, so the city poor started moving in just as....................white flight to the newer burbs was happening. I remember at my school, the "rich" kids were moving to Rowlett and north Garland or even Plano. Rinse and repeat and now they are moving to Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Southlake. Rinse and repeat again and you are seeing places like Prosper, Celina, Justin, Royse City that will blow up in the next 10 years. So you're seeing some of these burbs be really pro business to lock in white collar jobs in their city and build out their housing stock with more expensive homes. Plano, Irving, Southlake and Frisco are examples of this. They started building large corporate campus type complexes to lure Fortune 500s and built out with mainly upper middle class housing in less than 10 years. Irving and Plano saw the writing on the wall and changed quickly.

At the same time, Dallas is gentrifying quickly. When I got out of college you had a few hoods that were middle class, and lots of wealthy in North Dallas. Now you've had Uptown blow up. North Oak Cliff starting to blow up. East Dallas blowing up. I live in East Dallas and you can literally see them destroying block after block for new townhouses and apartments. To the east of us, white people are moving in from the burbs in droves. Our neighborhood is still hood a couple of streets away, but people are moving in and fixing up the old houses. They are keeping the little food joints around though. Just interesting to see having grown up in one of the burbs that quickly got poor and moving to a place that was on the periphery and is blowing up economically. I'm sure this is happening all over the country.

what part of east dallas blowing up? lakewood or whiterock lake area

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I swear, have any of you actually grew up in the hood? I'm suppose to stay in a place where

- People are outside all hrs of the night / hanging on the corners
- People shooting 3 - 4 days out of the week.
- People houses being broken into left and right
- youngins trying to break into cars.
- Loud music all the time.
- People being killed on the bus stops.

I could go on for days because I grew up around all of that and im suppose to stay there and raise my kids around that because i'm suppose to help out? :pachaha: my job/career affords me to be able to live a better lifestyle and my "son" comes before helping anybody else out.

For the ones saying you should stay where you grew up, do yall have kid(s)?
You don't have to live in a trap, lol.... but if you have property in an urban area.. and that property is near the core city or the most valuable areas.. you should keep the property. gentrification always happens.. the Media, drug wars, etc.. all play a part in scaring nikkas out of there homes. There aren't hoods in America worse than my old hood. period. I still have property there. I mean, I feel you tho, for all I know they may be a dead body dumped in my house tomorrow... but that property is in a trap. I also live in an area now that used to be raggity and now has a flood of white people moving in.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
They closed all the projects and moved them nikkas out into the burbs. shyt happened in atlanta and now the neighborhood I grew up in is becoming the hood.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Underrated post :obama:

I swear, have any of you actually grew up in the hood? I'm suppose to stay in a place where

- People are outside all hrs of the night / hanging on the corners
- People shooting 3 - 4 days out of the week.
- People houses being broken into left and right
- youngins trying to break into cars.
- Loud music all the time.
- People being killed on the bus stops.

I could go on for days because I grew up around all of that and im suppose to stay there and raise my kids around that because i'm suppose to help out? :pachaha: my job/career affords me to be able to live a better lifestyle and my "son" comes before helping anybody else out.

For the ones saying you should stay where you grew up, do yall have kid(s)?

I'm with you. I left Oakland, but as soon as the housing crisis hit all the gentrification started. West Oakland has always been a gold mine, it's near the freeway and close to San Francisco. They save a few hundred k on property. They have redone the entire lake area, downtown and most of the black businesses have been shutdown (because of niccas having SHOOTOUTS.) I would love to live in the city, that life is mostly for young professionals. I bought in the burbs, but I would LOVE to own some property in west Oakland. I'm not trying to live next to some nicca who wants to bring the hood to the burbs though. If I buy some property, I want to live next door to home owners lol

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
What pisses me off about these niccas is they don't understand that crime lowers the property value. And then they complain when their areas are being turned over smh. If you can cop some property in an area being gentrified, do it. You will make an incredible profit in the long run. In west Oakland, white folks are out jogging and walking their dogs. Their is a police presence. It's a trip, but unfortunately it was needed.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Moving to places that are undergoing changes via gentrification etc, only makes sense most of the time if you single and I'd argue also a male. You still gonna have crime out the ass. I'm livin in DC and you see it, they building up a new apartment complex on the Howard/shaw metro for example and you keep walkin right past that and you back in the hood.

It makes no sense to take your kids and your valuables to some crap areas that are supposedly on the come up just to have them sittin in shyt schools with fights happening everyday and your stuff gettin stolen.

White people are willing to take the risks of living in these areas because they are willing to take the risk in the investment. I won't clown the black people that aren't willin to just pop back up and move down there again because most likely they left cause they seen the ills of the community and got tired of the nonsense.

If you wanna be mad at somebody for making young black professionals hesitant to move to these gentrified areas and spots back in the city, be mad at these young nikkas out here waiting for YOU to come up so they can take what you got.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Moving to places that are undergoing changes via gentrification etc, only makes sense most of the time if you single and I'd argue also a male. You still gonna have crime out the ass. I'm livin in DC and you see it, they building up a new apartment complex on the Howard/shaw metro for example and you keep walkin right past that and you back in the hood.

It makes no sense to take your kids and your valuables to some crap areas that are supposedly on the come up just to have them sittin in shyt schools with fights happening everyday and your stuff gettin stolen.

White people are willing to take the risks of living in these areas because they are willing to take the risk in the investment. I won't clown the black people that aren't willin to just pop back up and move down there again because most likely they left cause they seen the ills of the community and got tired of the nonsense.

If you wanna be mad at somebody for making young black professionals hesitant to move to these gentrified areas and spots back in the city, be mad at these young nikkas out here waiting for YOU to come up so they can take what you got.

Same thing happening in Detroit man...the hipsters and yuppies are taking over midtown, woodbridge, corktown and pretty soon New Center and parts of Mexicantown...its great for the city, terrible for the current residents who aren't on board or can't afford it.

But the burbs were a nightmare and disaster waiting to happen, the infrastructure of the city and near-city dwarfs the efficiency of the burbs. It flat out costs too much to live out there even with the superior policing and schools. Problem is with jobs in the state their are in and the lack of continuing wealth in the burbs (college grads either unemployed, moving to the city, or staying where they went to school) its bad news.

I personally hate the burbs, everything is too far from anything.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps

"Everyday you see a fight or shootout for a minute
It ain't the projects, it's the nikkas that's up in it
Man, half of these motherfukkers ain't even from 'round here
If they didn't have that work, they would never come 'round here
And when they come they draw all the heat with 'em
Lookin' for some nikkas to get in the beef with 'em"

-- Juvenile, Rover Truck

:ohlawd:

In theory white flight is a great thing: Its racism making perfectly good homes and communities affordable for low income black families who were previously living in projects or renting without building any assets.

But in actuality when home prices drop, crime moves in and fukkery ensues. So those that have a choice are dipping just like the white folks did.

"It aint the projects, its the nikkas thats up in em"

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Np is gentrifying fast... Ever been to northern liberties, south Kensington, temple u, francisville etc?

no, haven't been to philly like that.

but even if that happens to that part of philly, the poor is going to have to go somewhere. you can try to displace them all they want but with the way this country is, there will ALWAYS be poor people. there will be MORE poor people too especially considering that the "middle class" is basically becoming the new working poor.

gentrification is NOT a good thing btw. you have these folks basically trying to fix up a place, move to it, rising the cost of homes in a neighborhood and will eventually have to leave because they will NOT be able to afford it. :laff: makes absolutely no sense. it's basically shooting yourself in the foot.

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
Editorial: Michigan becoming a smart investment

SOURCE: The Detroit News

May 21, 2013in Headlines, Rock Ventures

Money attracts money, and Michigan is attracting a lot more venture capital today than it has in a decade and at a faster pace than the rest of the nation.

A new report from the Michigan Venture Capital Association says the state jumped to the 15th spot in terms of business accelerator activity, up from 25th last year. And while national venture capital investment dropped 10 percent, in Michigan growth has been steady, with $232 million in investments made last year.

Give credit to a number of factors.

First, of course, is the recovering economy, led by the resurgence of the Big Three automakers. The strong rebound of Ford, General Motors and Chrysler have pumped fuel into Michigan’s economy, improving the prospects of businesses across the spectrum, including start-ups.

In addition, Gov. Rick Snyder and the Republican legislature have transformed the state’s policy making culture to place the emphasis on improving the business climate and attracting jobs and investment.

That has required some tough decisions about shifting the tax burden and making government a lot more efficient — and smaller. But it is paying off. People with money are starting to notice that Michigan is no longer shackled to rust-belt policies that favored unions and viewed business as a cash cow to support entitlement programs.
Also give considerable credit to local venture capitalists who are putting their money where their homes are.

Among them are folks like Josh Linkner and Dan Gilbert and their team at Detroit Venture Partners, who are funding entrepreneurs committed to helping them rebuild Detroit. Among the firm’s investments are Chalkfly, an online office supply company, and iRule, an Internet start-up that connects mobile phones to home entertainment systems.

These are the types of fast-growing businesses that have unique appeal to the young, college educated talent that abandoned Michigan over the past decade.

Michigan still has a long way to go to reach the top tier of states, those with more than $1 billion in venture capital lending — California, New York and Massachusetts. But it’s headed in the right direction. Twenty-three venture firms are now operating in Michigan, with $1.5 billion under management. The average fund is managing $75 million.

So it’s still small in scope. But the encouraging news is that it is growing, and Michigan is getting noticed. When out-of-state funds investing in Michigan are included, the total under management swells to $3.7 billion, with $456 million available for new investments.

Slightly more than half of the investment is in life sciences start-ups. Manufacturing is drawing just 4 percent. The other large categories are information technology, media and alternative energy, again, fields that tend to draw younger, more highly educated workers.

Michigan is a good investment again. The confidence of investors is a good argument that the steps taken make to the state more competitive are paying off.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Np is gentrifying fast... Ever been to northern liberties, south Kensington, temple u, francisville etc?
Basically I try to tell my man this shyt and he like it ain't happening. I'm like you crazy Philly trying to be on its NY shyt the closer you are to downtown the more expensive it's going to be. They got home in Nolibs going for 750k I'm like shyt cray from back in the day.

Chill

carti stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Junipero
My question is do you think these areas will have bigger houses? I want a big ass house.