Study: Black girls benefit from exercise less than whites

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
When it comes to curbing obesity, exercise doesn’t have the same effect on African-American girls as white girls, a new study suggests.

According to research published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, black girls are less responsive to the benefits of physical activity.

Researchers studied the exercise levels and caloric intake of a group of 1,148 adolescent girls at age 12. Two years later, lower levels of obesity correlated with higher levels of exercise in white girls. Surprisingly, the same wasn’t true for black girls — those who reported frequent physical activity were just as likely to be obese two years later as ones who rarely exercised.

The study’s authors pointed to earlier research that helps explain why African-American girls might be at a disadvantage in the weight game, such as having lower metabolic rates and lower rates of fat oxidation than their white peers.

Other potential contributing factors are a higher daily caloric intake and more sedentary behaviors, like watching TV, the study says.

The authors note that “promoting activity would have less impact in this high-risk population.”

In other words, obesity campaigns directed at African-American girls should consider focusing less on exercise and more on controlling caloric intake.

“It’s not just physical activity,” Ginny Ehrlich, chief executive of the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, told the Los Angeles Times newspaper.

“That’s particularly important for African-American girls.”

Ehrlich says she would be hesitant to share the findings with young black women because body image is “already a really sensitive subject.”

“It creates yet another barrier to what might already feel like a struggle,” she told the Times. “When we talk with young people, we talk about healthy living — eating better and moving more. We’re trying to stay away from messaging around obesity.”

But it’s a difficult message to avoid when it comes to black women, whose rate of obesity is the highest of any single ethnic or gender group, at 39.4%, according to the Times.

Measured by their body mass index (BMI), four in five black women are overweight.

Toni Carey, co-founder of the national running group Black Girls Run!, suggests that weight issues African-Americans face might have a deeper cultural context.

Carey told the Times that when she first began running, her mother’s “first reaction was, ‘That’s something that black people don’t do.’ She said, ‘Your uterus is going to fall out’ and all sorts of things.”

Young African-American girls might not exercise simply because it’s not something they’re used to seeing, Carey explained.

“If you aren’t seeing your peers out there running and exercising or you hear them say, ‘I don’t want to mess up my hair,’ it’s more likely that you’re not going to engage in that physical activity.”

Carey added that some black families might stick to recipes that don’t emphasize nutrition, or those strapped for cash won’t be able to afford healthy ingredients — “If you have to eat off the dollar menu, that’s what you do.”

Black girls benefit from exercise less than whites: study - New York Daily News

:sadbron:

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Measured by their body mass index (BMI), four in five black women are overweight

Ey...

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of fat black women.

But if they're calling this or even a few pounds more overweight...

nappyafro-diznee-part-2-051.jpg

Then, GIRL, you're AMAZING...just the way you are. :lawd:

You_Ugly_on_Skype

#LurkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LurkSet #LurkLife
Chicks really ain't going to the gym now. :russ:

You crazy for this one CAC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

This is what i was thinking. Seems like this so called panel of experts and this article are giving black women and excuse not to workout. It's saying, 'no matter what you do black women, you will still be fat'.

The article has the tone of white women>>>black women.

It don't like that Sh!t
tumblr_m39rql6cxR1r7zpado1_400.gif

It don't like that sh!t

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
There's a good number of black females at my gym, not as many as white females though. Nobody is really counting though. Some are skinny as sticks. Some are really overweight.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
This is what i was thinking. Seems like this so called panel of experts and this article are giving black women and excuse not to workout. It's saying, 'not matter what you do black women, you will still be fat'.

The article has the tone of white women>>>black women.

It don't like that Sh!t
tumblr_m39rql6cxR1r7zpado1_400.gif

It don't like that sh!t

Yeah I did notice a certain "tone" while reading this too.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
Ey...

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of fat black women.

But if they're calling this or even a few pounds more overweight...

nappyafro-diznee-part-2-051.jpg

Then, GIRL, you're AMAZING...just the way you are. :lawd:

I'ma hit u up with a pos rep just for posting a pic of her. :ahh:

:myman: