Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
@Nicole0416 Works in law or somethin naw?
Don’t put me in this- I’ve been giving him advice for 2 years now again and again. I literally gave him the blueprint for different options that he could pursue and paragraphs on paragraphs of job descriptions in the legal field. I can’t anymore. There’s only so many times that I can repeat the same. Now he’s at an extreme disadvantage bc of Covid - law firms/corporations are either going through layoffs or furloughs, offices are only opening up at 25%- he should consider it a blessing to even land a contract position at this time. He really thinks he will land a $200k position when even partners are talking a 25% pay cut reduction and associates at 15%, bc clients can barely afford the building rates due to covid closures. Many firms pushed back their Fall associate start dates until January 2021. He doesn’t listen to his own detriment. I can’t help anyone who won’t help themselves.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@Stringer Cochran

Become a CPA or Patent Lawyer

Problem solved
I’ve told him this
May 2018-
No. Not at all. Not specific to IT, but I had prior experience in corporate research, information security and records management from prior jobs that transferred to the job I have now. For IT, Everything that I learned, I learned on the job through training, cle, IT classes and required testing/certifications. Took courses as well through different programs on my own to maintain, as well.

But this was during the time that the finance/investment firms, banks were imploding (2010-) and stricter regulations were implemented against the banking industry (bear stearns collapse, Bank of America, AIG etc ,) Telecomm. mergers taking place (at&t, sprint, etc). Those industries could no longer afford legal fees/expenses leading to major law firm layoffs. The legal sector started turning to patent and i.p. Law with a focus on technology. The law firm took on more tech clients to remain competitive. So I think for me it was timing ; being at the right place at the right time as well.
2020-
Nah sis you are reaching. I respect your advocacy but it’s not realistic. This is inflated. First years come in making $150k -$160k at the top level from a top school. At most, 4th years will be at the $250k range with bonuses. And that’s Biglaw. In a time where summer associate programs are being cancelled, incomings are being furloughed, staff and associates are being laid off, and partners are having their draws reduced by 20%, if they’re even taking it. At this point, it’s a blessing to hit $90k -$110k as legal counsel corporation, govt or start sending resumes to public defender’s or public policy organizations and hope to land one for $75k-$95k until the economy calms down; the only plus out of all this is firms starting to collaborate with diversity hiring bc of the racial upheaval - get some experience and move over to the big legal leagues where he’s more in a position to command and control his career. He also says he doesn’t like the monotony of research and review work which is a lot of IT Law and Patent Law which is where he could have made the big bucks in a specialized position or at least get contract work. But expecting to get $290k out the gate in tumultuous times like this without assessing economic factors, is a fool’s mission. Every major firm except for maybe the top 6 have sent out notices about salary or head count reductions. and if he doesn’t put that degree to work and let’s time lapse, that’s not good either. Law is faced pace and constantly changing.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Hey what's up bro. Actually I've been doing quite well with it and have been in the industry for about 4 years now. Thinking about starting a twitch stream where I teach coding. How have things been going for you?

That's dope bruh, happy to see you doing your thing! Me, I'm cool, just trying to fight boredom and being too complacent in my current position so working on learning some new cloud tech stacks and will go back to consulting once the Covid virus has slowed.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
That's dope bruh, happy to see you doing your thing! Me, I'm cool, just trying to fight boredom and being too complacent in my current position so working on learning some new cloud tech stacks and will go back to consulting once the Covid virus has slowed.

Yea you got to keep learning in teh tech world since things move so quickly. How did you get consulting and how does it pay? Might look into jumping into that myself.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@Nicole0416 Works in law or somethin naw?

@Stringer Cochran

Become a CPA or Patent Lawyer

Problem solved

:picard:

This doesn’t add up. Top tier law school and no job offers? Two things come to mind, you barely made it out of law school or you sucked at networking while in law school. Either way, good luck on the bar exam.

I’ve been telling this dude since 2018. He said that he doesn’t want to be “tied to his desk or a glorified paper pusher, researcher and data reader” like me so I left it alone and that I failed Bc I do Legal IT work instead of actually “practicing” even though I don’t live with my parents, have my own place, and been working in the field for 10+ yrs and currently remote working and trying to get in another cert during the off time at home.
:aicmon:
I’m not making loads of cash but they give you all types of financial incentives and investing advice, bonuses and he can get his student loans down to a manageable monthly rate to the point where it offsets by what he could potentially bring in. It won’t happen right away- it takes a couple of years to get your footing but at least you’re gaining experience and accumulating. Most firms and corps discount products anyway 25-50% (cars, computers, etc) bc of their relationships with vendors, he wouldn’t pay full price for anything.
Shelf life in big law is 5-6 yrs at best if you're not on the partnership route anyway, or given that "of counsel" designation. Or they transfer out by securing a lateral position at other firms depending on that book of business. Most max out at Sr. Associate then move on to government especially in the DC area. Or vice versa...start off in government then transfer to big law, if that's your aim. Could also try for General Counsel position at a corporation. Financial firms, need law degrees in compliance depts. The only way you're looking at 60k to start off is if you take a glorified doc review position, an entry level at a startup or boutique law firm, local government or public defender. BigLaw firms do hire for staff attorney positions outside of the summer associate hiring.
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/loo...-a-year-job-brehs.656155/page-4#post-30802332

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/are-you-lawyers-making-money.633248/page-2#post-29670624

Last edited:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
My homie is closer to 300,000 in debt. But he is about to get some shyt patented though and cats are already looking to buy it off of him/or offer him a 6 figure job. He wants to do his own thing though.

Use your skills OP :manny:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You just graduated breh.

The grind starts now.

There's only three types of people who make it. People who are already working before they graduate and move up once they get their degree. People who graduate without a job but knows someone who gets them an in. And people who don't have a job, don't have friends and grind.

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I’ve been telling this dude since 2018. He said that he doesn’t want to be “tied to his desk or a glorified paper pusher, researcher and data reader” like me so I left it alone and that I failed Bc I do Legal IT work instead of actually “practicing” even though I don’t live with my parents, have my own place, and been working in the field for 10+ yrs and currently remote working and trying to get in another cert during the off time at home.
I’m not making loads of cash but they give you all types of financial incentives and investing advice, bonuses and he can get his student loans down to a manageable monthly rate to the point where it offsets by what he could potentially bring in. It won’t happen right away- it takes a couple of years to get your footing but at least you’re gaining experience and accumulating. Most firms and corps discount products anyway 25-50% (cars, computers, etc) bc of their relationships with vendors, he wouldn’t pay full price for anything.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/loo...-a-year-job-brehs.656155/page-4#post-30802332

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/are-you-lawyers-making-money.633248/page-2#post-29670624

Listen, as a former DOJ employee with experience with several law firms, the bolded is how it is when you're fresh out. Even attorneys have to grind to the top. If anyone thinks they're going to be balling straight out of law school without 1) a major connection to a prestigious law firm/corporation or 2) connections plus money to start their own thing they are delusional. Even with those you'll still have to grind but it'll be a slightly better. Attorneys come a dime a dozen. Graduating from a top tier law school means nothing if you don't stand out from the pack.

I left the law field a while back but from what I've seen and heard those first 2-5 years are hell. OP better pass that bar or it'll get significantly worse. I know a chick who graduated law school 5 years ago. Still hasn't passed the bar, she's swimming in debt but won't give up on her attorney dreams. I told her ass she better start selling p*ssy or something.

One thing a lot of people don't prepare for is their route getting blocked or re-routed. You have to have plan A plus plan B, C and D etc. I have a friend who's an attorney on paper but never practiced law. He used his degrees to propel him to millions in the tech/business field. Knowing how to pivot is very important.

Last edited:

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We all been here. shyt will come to pass. First step is humble yourself. Being broke can happen to you too. It can happen to anybody, no matter what steps you took to prevent it. Especially being black because we never have the backers to pick us up or bail us out when we fall. You can also shake back. nikkas come up from having they dikk in the dirt all the time.

Just stay humble and focused. Do whatever you have to do to survive. No job or money is too low for you when you're just trying to get on your feet.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Yea you got to keep learning in teh tech world since things move so quickly. How did you get consulting and how does it pay? Might look into jumping into that myself.

TBH, I've consulted more that I've been in 'perm' roles throughout my career. It's easy to get into consulting, you're mainly just looking for those roles when you're updating your resume on Dice, Monster, or wherever. When recruiters call you, tell them you're looking for consulting roles. Some of the roles can be for multiple years, 1 year, 6 months to 1 year, short term money grabs (4 - 6 weeks that pay crazy money), etc.

As a consultant, I've annually brought in anywhere from
$165k - 225k
(the higher end if I've worked more than one contract at the same time or multiple throughout the year). In my perm role I'm at
$134K
(after bonuses) but this role is super easy as I'm NEVER in the office (although no one is in office anymore), no one bothers me throughout the day (I basically code microservices in Python or C#), and I've literally used majority of my time to learn stocks and how to properly put my money into the market.

I would say do it bruh, consulting ain't for everybody but if you find it's for you, there's a ton of money to be made.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Listen, as a former DOJ employee with experience with several law firms, the bolded is how it is when you're fresh out. Even attorneys have to grind to the top. If anyone thinks they're going to be balling straight out of law school without 1) a major connection to a prestigious law firm/corporation or 2) connections plus money to start their own thing they are delusional. Even with those you'll still have to grind but it'll be a slightly better. Attorneys come a dime a dozen. Graduating from a top tier law school means nothing if you don't stand out from the pack.

I left the law field a while back but from what I've seen and heard those first 2-5 years are hell. OP better pass that bar or it'll get significantly worse. I know a chick who graduated law school 5 years ago. Still hasn't passed the bar, she's swimming in debt but won't give up on her attorney dreams. I told her ass she better start selling p*ssy or something.

One thing a lot people don't prepare for is their route getting blocked or re-routed. You have to have plan A plus plan B, C and D etc. I have a friend who's an attorney on paper but never practiced law. He used his degrees to propel him to millions in the tech/business field. Knowing how to pivot is very important.
Better words have never been spoken. Most solid advice that I’ve seen. Repped!!!! Gems dropped. There are people on here dropping career advice worth $200/hr that a job consultant would charge, this is free knowledge and experience being passed along that needs to be used to evaluate his steps. No one gets a start without a struggle unless you have connections or finessing networks (even that’s a learned skill). He wants his “name on the door” right out the gate is not reality.

The other problem is that he’s created a situation where if anyone who wanted to help him with a job is putting their name on the line bc of his tendencies on here- imagine giving a job recommendation, he gets the position, and quits or gets into a conflict. You and him will both be out and having a career or job setback, making threads on the coli, getting clowned when all you were doing is trying to be helpful.
:mjlol: