String Bell's Sheisty Thoughts

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
He’s not a bad actor.

But here is the thing…

Every time you see him in a movie, you’re aware that you’re looking at Leonardo DiCaprio. You’re never thinking “that’s Jordan Belfort”. Right? He’s rarely that character.

Whereas when you watch Daniel Day Lewis, that guy IS Bill Cutting. He IS Daniel Plainview, etc…

I don’t mean to compare them. I just want to highlight how great actors blend into their characters. I don’t know why Leo doesn’t. Perhaps he’s too big of a movie star or his acting isn’t at that level. But that’s how it is.
This is like saying Denzel Washington isn’t a great actor.

Not everyone does method acting.

And Leonardo DiCaprio is a great actor. He may not be an all timer, but he is a great actor. Bugged out thread. I remember him on Growing Pains as a kid and then he transitioned to Basketball Diaries and it was bugged out how different he was.

The Titanic was the best and worst thing to happen to his career.

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Definitely disagree with this thread.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
He’s not a bad actor.

But here is the thing…

Every time you see him in a movie, you’re aware that you’re looking at Leonardo DiCaprio. You’re never thinking “that’s Jordan Belfort”. Right? He’s rarely that character.

Whereas when you watch Daniel Day Lewis, that guy IS Bill Cutting. He IS Daniel Plainview, etc…

I don’t mean to compare them. I just want to highlight how great actors blend into their characters. I don’t know why Leo doesn’t. Perhaps he’s too big of a movie star or his acting isn’t at that level. But that’s how it is.

I feel this way about Denzel and Sam as well

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
For some reason my favorite Di Caprio movie (I haven't seen all of them) might be The Revenant. Might be because he's not in a "typical" Di Caprio role with lots of dialogue and looking good or whatever. Somewhat of an anomaly in his filmography maybe. Not saying it's his best or his best acting but it's the one movie that sticks out to me.
He waa acting more with his face and body than words

I think he did great in that movie

Especially the bear attack scene and the tom hardy showdown scene

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
He’s not a bad actor.

But here is the thing…

It's a different approach to acting

Dicaprio is like Tom Hanks and Denzel - you know it's them just pretending to be someone else, but you're fine with that

Johnny Depp is like the Daniel Day Lewis style.

Think of Key and Peele. Peele is the DDL, Johnny Depp style, while Key is the DiCaprio, Hanks style.

reserved_one

#Ambivertgang
Daps
Reppin
So.ILL/Raider Nation
Catch Me If You Can>>>>>>>

I think what makes Leo a very good actor is his consistency of good performances. Plus he seems like a cool dude and don’t come off being a weirdo like the rest of them Hollywood actors.

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I think his prettiness and likability, qualities that contribute to his stardom, may keep some folks from recognizing his talent.

Most recently it was his scenes on set in the western tv show within Once upon... In Hollywood that really blew me away. From him fukking up his lines, to him losing his shyt in the trailer, to coming back and absolutely bodying his next scene. That's fantastic acting imo

With that said, where do folks rank Christian Bale? Better or worse actor than Leo?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is like saying Denzel Washington isn’t a great actor.

Not everyone does method acting.

And Leonardo DiCaprio is a great actor. He may not be an all timer, but he is a great actor. Bugged out thread. I remember him on Growing Pains as a kid and then he transitioned to Basketball Diaries and it was bugged out how different he was.

The Titanic was the best and worst thing to happen to his career.
In my opinion, if I can still see you and not the character, you lacked something in that performance.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
the problem with this premise is nearly everyone agrees Leo is a tier below the greats...so saying he's overrated is implying he's on some average Robert Pattinson level shyt. He's a very good consistent actor that has the fundamentals down to where he should never drag a movie down.