String Bell's Sheisty Thoughts

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
he is what he is. a good A list actor. you can't compare him to Daniel Day who is the best actor in the world and generational. Even Leo said it himself "I came on set for wardrobe and he was already in character and stayed that way the whole filming, I thought to myself, ok game on" DDL is not to be compared with.

but in terms of pure acting. he's good. what flaw does he have as an actor? he nails his scenes.

edit: Id like to see DDL and Jim Carey on the same screen.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
he is what he is. a good A list actor. you can't compare him to Daniel Day who is the best actor in the world and generational. Even Leo said it himself "I came on set for wardrobe and he as already in character and stayed that way the whole time, I thought to myself, ok game on" DDL is not to be compared with.

but in terms of pure acting. he's good. what flaw does he have as an actor? he nails his scenes.

congratulations…you basically agreed with the OP who essentially said he’s good/not bad and not some exceptional talent

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Gangs of New York(Daniel Day Lewis blew him off the screen)

To be fair, Daniel Day Lewis is nuking anyone on the same screen as him. Besides the Butcher character was always going to stand out above all the other characters in that film. I'm not a big movie guy, but I thought Dicaprio was great in The Revenant and Shutter Island. I need to watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Daps
Leo's good but not great. There are lots of A-listers that are way more overrated.

As someone said above he rarely disappears into a role. He definitely got a good eye for scripts though.

That's what makes Leo great to me.

He puts out a lot of work but has a knack for knowing what sells and what doesn't. He should be a producer or studio exec tbh. Leo himself is a great draw because you know he's always going to give a solid performance.

DDL is basically at the top as far as actors go so no one will look that great standing next to him. Leo held his own in Gangs of New York. DDL is also VERY choosy about the roles he takes which is an important part of being an actor......knowing your ability and deciding whether the script is strong enough to showcase everyone's talent.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
He is never bad, but he has never blown me away in any role. Dude is John Stockon, fundamentally sound and workmanlike. He is looked at as some generational talent but there are a bunch of movies he was in that he should have killed that were mid I can think of off the top of my head.

Aviator
Catch me if you can
Blood Diamond
Shutter Island
Gangs of New York(Daniel Day Lewis blew him off the screen)

:leostare:

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
rasmusmarthen-yay.gif

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He’s not a bad actor.

But here is the thing…

Every time you see him in a movie, you’re aware that you’re looking at Leonardo DiCaprio. You’re never thinking “that’s Jordan Belfort”. Right? He’s rarely that character.

Whereas when you watch Daniel Day Lewis, that guy IS Bill Cutting. He IS Daniel Plainview, etc…

I don’t mean to compare them. I just want to highlight how great actors blend into their characters. I don’t know why Leo doesn’t. Perhaps he’s too big of a movie star or his acting isn’t at that level. But that’s how it is.

I know you say you’re not comparing, but you’re using damn near the consensus GOAT method actor as an example. He’s washing everybody on that front

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
He has a remarkable talent and streak for picking roles/scripts that are just right, he doesn’t transform anything in particular but he does do the job in a way I can’t see anyone else doing it.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why do so many coli posters have such a hard on for this cac? :hhh:

I agree with the op, when good actors are acting, they make you forget they’re acting and immerse you in the world, with Dicaprio, I can never shake off the feeling that he’s acting and suddenly start imagining cameramen and the director standing behind the scenes giving him instructions.