String Bell's Sheisty Thoughts

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
Chopped Cheese & Snapple Iced Tea
Breh got an Andy Warhol cosign, which was a huge deal in the 80's, and he also had hip hop connections through Fab 5 Freddy & other grafitti artists.
Of all the artists, graffiti writers, etc. from that era, Basquiat is the one Jay and Swizz choose to dikkride :scusthov::dead:

Lee Quinones, Futura, Crash, Blade, etc. there's so many talented writers who went from the train scene to the gallery scene that I can't respect all the hypebeasting over Basquiat :hubie: Hell, I would've been happy if Jay shed more light on Kase2 and brought his talent to the forefront before his death :leon: Cats need to do the knowledge instead of riding off whatever Jay-Z says is "cool" :usure:

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I knew of Basquait since high school (early-mid 90s) through Fab 5 Freddy. I was not impressed with that shyt then and I am not now. 99 percent of y’all that say you like that shyt really don’t either.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
:mjlol:

Only the coli would people critique one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.

Even more interesting because most of his art was steeped in Black culture and protest art against police brutality.

:mjpls:

Interesting

BurstWicks

All Star
Daps
:ld: show me what you think is good art...

I stumbled upon this painting recently and I thought it was good :yeshrug:

Hugo_Simberg_Garden_of_Death.jpg

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
The problem when people critique art is when they compare it to imagery they've already seen and they don't understand concepts of art as well. This happens with music as well. You are doing a disservice by looking at Basquiat and thinking it's trash when at the time these paintings were created that art movement was on the fringes, not to mention that some of the paintings are results of changing themes, there are literally complete paintings that were painted over to make something else,, It's the same way that people look at certain styles and think it's trash, people at the time thought cubism was trash and yeah it's subjective.
Some folks like hyperrealism while others think it's trash, it's high in technical skill but there isn't any creativity in it because you are literally just painting a copy of a photograph. :yeshrug:

I messed with Basquiat art in the early 90s as well as Keith Harring but folks think that his art is trash too, they used alot of that style in the heyday of Nicklodeon.

Also when you look at some art and say "I could do that".....just remember......you didn't :sas2:

93 til

Superstar
Daps
I tried watching this years ago. Fell asleep cuz it was boring.

Haven't even seen it, but since they've already made a movie on dude then there was always some interest there.

:yeshrug:

Me personally, I like his art. Just never got around to watching the movie.

BurstWicks

All Star
Daps
some body bouta get locked up
judge bouta cook they ass

:pachaha: its called garden of death.. but now that I think of it you right.. its death row inmates gettin to use they 1 hour of rec time:demonic:

I always thought this one was hard too :wow:

1200px-Rubens_-_Prometheus_Bound.jpg

If only he was black I would get this shyt in my livin room :wow:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Haven't even seen it, but since they've already made a movie on dude then there was always some interest there.

:yeshrug:

Me personally, I like his art. Just never got around to watching the movie.

Basquiat has been relatively famous for anybody that follows art.

What’s being said is that younger urban folks who have not been introduced to black art or know anything about black artist have been introduced to Basquiat through Jay Z, when he’s already been known by everybody else.