String Bell's Sheisty Thoughts

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The problem when people critique art is when they compare it to imagery they've already seen and they don't understand concepts of art as well. This happens with music as well. You are doing a disservice by looking at Basquiat and thinking it's trash when at the time these paintings were created that art movement was on the fringes, not to mention that some of the paintings are results of changing themes, there are literally complete paintings that were painted over to make something else,, It's the same way that people look at certain styles and think it's trash, people at the time thought cubism was trash and yeah it's subjective.
Some folks like hyperrealism while others think it's trash, it's high in technical skill but there isn't any creativity in it because you are literally just painting a copy of a photograph. :yeshrug:

I messed with Basquiat art in the early 90s as well as Keith Harring but folks think that his art is trash too, they used alot of that style in the heyday of Nicklodeon.

Also when you look at some art and say "I could do that".....just remember......you didn't :sas2:

best breakdown I’ve read in here. AND folks need to understand that all art is subjective. What I don’t like others will love and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
His boxing ring painting is one of the greatest ones I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Ducktales

Get Money
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
No lie I saw his shyt at a museum when I was a teenager (before I even knew who he was) and the shyt made me mad uncomfortable. White folks was eating it up and it just looked like some black chicken scratch mockery c00n shyt to me. I didn't like how the black people looked in his paintings. Like black bodies / skeletons with crazy hair and looking like savages with pitchforks or huts in the background. Like why are people calling this art. But not liking it mean you don't like Afro-Centric art somehow. Just my opinion:whoa:

Last edited:

---

Superstar
Daps
Basquiat_Warrior-e1613084897554.jpg

it looks like a elementary school kid was doodling in class with crayons. The whole high art culture is clownish, bunch of pretentious dweebs hyping shyt up nobody would give a second look to if the artist wasn't famous.

Naw it's cool.

Used to think the same thing but dated a girl who was a painter gained a lot of insight into art changed my mind a lot about art!

Ducktales

Get Money
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
:mjlol:

Only the coli would people critique one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.

Even more interesting because most of his art was steeped in Black culture and protest art against police brutality.

:mjpls:

Interesting
The black people in his art work look ridiculous with big ass teeth and lips and big bulging eyes and shyt. I aint calling him a c00n. I get it. But lets not act like this has to be everyone's (black people preferred brand of "afro-centric" Theres plenty of Afro-cntric artist. :camby:

brandy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
:dead:

He was one of the few artists to openly protest police brutality and anti-blackness.

If you can understand a rap sample, his work did a similar thing; inserting blackness and racial politics into art that purposely excluded us.