⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Some of y’all are so uncultured

full

93 til

Superstar
Daps
Basquiat has been relatively famous for anybody that follows art.

What’s being said is that younger urban folks who have not been introduced to black art or know anything about black artist have been introduced to Basquiat through Jay Z, when he’s already been known by everybody else.

I agree. That was actually the point I was tryna make. Even then it's not that big of a deal if Jay was the one to introduce the younger generation to his art. That's like tryna :camby: Timbaland and Swizz for introducing the younger generation to the Isley Brothers and Earth Wind and Fire through Verzuz.

As long as they can appreciate it, who cares?

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
I have yet to meet a person who hates art/basquiat who doesn’t have low vibrations

so him being hated on thecoli makes absolute sense

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
I said black nations. nikka was in Mali which is already in the middle of the Sahara. Thanks for conforming that he made the Arab states of Algeria, Libya, and Egypt rich on his way to Mecca though. :umad:

Whilst not ever doing a pilgrimage to sub Sahara Africa.

:mjpls:

08300-mansa_musa_hajj_map.jpg

Let me not travel through black kingdoms cuz they might rob me ass nikka.

:mjpls:

He was suppose to burn up going through the heart of the Sahara desert?

:gucci:

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
You're an idiot.

Of all the artists you choose to try and tear down, why's it one of the most successful black ones? @The Hon. Stringer Bell :mjpls:

And as far as 'it looks like a elementary school did it with crayons' that's part of the point, Cy Twombly and markmaking etc. But besides that, Basquiat was a renowned draughtsman and was copying anatomy books while still a child. He intentionally invoked that 'primitive' style to usurp the standard definitions of aesthetics in modern art, i.e. disrupting the eurocentric notion of 'fine art' opening the market to a whole generation of artists. But you probably like Thomas Kinkaide and that shyt. :unimpressed:

"It took me a year to draw like Raphael, but a lifetime to draw like a child." - Picasso.

Last edited:

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
I hate when people do that "you just pretend to like ______ to look cultured / cool / hip"
who the fukk are you to say that? shyt is so wild condescending :hhh: Just say you don't rock with it and move on.

forgetting that perspective is everything and there are a myriad of reasons why someone could view a piece of art in a different way than you.

it's like listening to a bomb squad beat and saying "oh they just taking a bunch of samples and noise and throwing it together, i could do that" :mjpls:

Basquiat knew more about black history than a lot of you goofys and he expressed it in his art. Dude was blasting jazz while working on three canvases at the same time and each of em would sell for a 100 racks.

Yall don't realize breh was satirizing and clowning the NYC art scene while making guap off them? If that aint black excellence I don't know what is. Putting in references to racism and black American history that went over their heads (and the coli's head too, apparently)

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
shytting on a dead hip-hop icon in a hip-hop forum, sounds about right... :unimpressed:

He's literally just mixing the tradition of figurative painting/portrait with the all-over/wildstyle of 1970s-80s New York City. But of course the guy who thinks cactastic illuminated manuscripts is the epitome of painting would level the same exact criticisms that the early cac conservative art critics had of the introduction of downtown street art into the uptown galleries.

"It looks like kids did that :skip: " Yea maybe in part because he was a kid? He died before he was 28 and did most of his famous work in his late teens/early 20s.

but stringer bell just makes sensational threads for those sweet sweet daps, all at the expense of denigrating the best painter of the last 50 years. :francis:

Last edited:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Picasso (Jay former favorite artist to name drop every song) is the one who really draws like shyt. A toddler with 2 crayons and a napkin can make a Picasso

Basquiat had some style at least. I'm no big art expert you like what you like

As far as the high art scene it's a lot of wealthy people throwing money at what they like