Streaming TV is about to get very expensive – here's why

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
meh I think these new streaming platforms are in for a rude awakening.
they're not gonna take off like they're hoping. Folks aren't buying all of these. I think majority of people will have Netflix, Disney, and Prime (mainly for the shipping not the TV) and that's it.

I was actually wondering what's going to happen to syndication with all of these networks getting into the stream game? They make more off syndication rights than they'll probably make off streaming but if you pull all these shows off streaming do you pull them from syndication? If not isn't that kinda half assing it?

Yup
Bubble going to burst
We going to look back like hey remember when there was 5 different platforms

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I told people last year, Netflix isn't going to last. Its model is unsustainable, built on constant growth when the growth stopped in the US.

That said people saying competting services is bad for the consumer, don't know basic economics.

All the different streaming platforms are nothing more than de-linked cable packages. This is actually what the market has been wanting from cable, but the content providers blocked, ala carte package selection. You literally pick what you want.

The real money is going to come from new cable packages, that allow you to get a centralized log in for all the different services, that you use their interface to access from over the top.

People like ease, instead of being scared, if you are a coder, that should be something you look into as a future business opportunity.

No one wants to buy all these services and have to manage and remember all the accounts.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I'm unclear on why people think Netflix is going to be the first service to fail. They already have 130 million subs worldwide. It will be a very long time before any other service is up there with those numbers.
Netflix will make a few adjustments once more competition comes online but they ain't going nowhere. They the OG's of this streaming games. The term "Netflix and Chill" is damn near iconic

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
I got:

PS Vue
Netflix
Hulu

I only have Netflix b/c my mom loves watching them movies. If Netflix keep going up I'm getting rid of that shyt w/the quickness. I'm not paying a $20-30 for garbage. Hulu is cool but PS Vue is cheaper. I kept Hulu b/c I only pay $10 a month w/it as a add-on to my Spotify service.

The best thing I did was got rid of Direct TV b/c I wasn't paying a $200+ cable bill. Although, I'm not gone be paying for all these streaming services either.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm unclear on why people think Netflix is going to be the first service to fail. They already have 130 million subs worldwide. It will be a very long time before any other service is up there with those numbers.

Because a large percentage of those subs weren't there for Netflix original content. That became a bonus, but their model was based on having access to almost everything. If most of those people, lets say 60%, are there to watch older, well-known/cult shows, what happens when those shows are elsewhere? Without the Mouse content, you know how many parents will drop it?And once their subs greatly reduce, all of those production studios will begin to shop their shows elsewhere.

Netflix will make a few adjustments once more competition comes online but they ain't going nowhere. They the OG's of this streaming games. The term "Netflix and Chill" is damn near iconic

"Make it a Blockbuster night" was once as iconic as that.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Because a large percentage of those subs weren't there for Netflix original content. That became a bonus, but their model was based on having access to almost everything. If most of those people, lets say 60%, are there to watch older, well-known/cult shows, what happens when those shows are elsewhere? Without the Mouse content, you know how many parents will drop it?And once their subs greatly reduce, all of those production studios will begin to shop their shows elsewhere.

That's not exactly what Netflix model currently is. They are spending billions on original content. Yes, they will buy up rights to movies and/or shows but most of their original content are deals that they have struck with creators to make these shows..

Netflix is paying creators billions to make shows for them exclusively. If the shows are good like on the level of Narcos or Stranger Things people gonna continue to sub

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Apple boutta take that $4.2 billion L :wow:

I'm not so sure about that. If you look at the creators they have on the pay roll it's programming that appears to be geared towards women. Apple has a stranglehold on a lot of women. iphones, watches, macbooks etc.. it's all in the brand.

Personally I don't think Apple has done anything great or innovative in years but women love that shyt.