Streaming TV is about to get very expensive – here's why

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Only 175 a month huh. :francis:

Yeah, thats all it is for the top level DirectTV package with all the channels.
If I want NBA Season Pass throw that on top of it, but most of the games I want to see I can see so I don't need that.
My sis lets me use her Netflix, but she uses my starz and hbo online more than I use her netflix.

This streaming stuff when you add up the cost, its only marginally cheaper, because you need more than one service to watch anything good.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Yeah, thats all it is for the top level DirectTV package with all the channels.
If I want NBA Season Pass throw that on top of it, but most of the games I want to see I can see so I don't need that.
My sis lets me use her Netflix, but she uses my starz and hbo online more than I use her netflix.

This streaming stuff when you add up the cost, its only marginally cheaper, because you need more than one service to watch anything good.
I used to pay that shyt when I had direct t.v. :hhh:

Never again. But if you need all those channels more power to you.

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
you celebrating this sounds foolish. what made netflix (and hulu) popular was having a variety of shows from different networks/studios available on one platform.

this is like if all the music labels pulled their shyt from spotify/apple/tidal and created a service for every label, aint nobody about to pay for multiple streaming services, people will start downloading again. this tv/film shyt is about to get the same wake up call.

netflix/hulu benefitted because there was no competition

if the disney+ and the others flop, they return to netflix, which is unlikely
point is, netflix gonna lose, film studios/content creators win

music labels should do the same because streaming sales suck

also, there's 3 major labels and everybody else

music listeners/movie watchers get to choose from multiple services, the one with the better product at the best price wins
competition is good.

content is king
:blessed:

consumers go to where the piff is

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
netflix/hulu benefitted because there was no competition

if the disney+ and the others flop, they return to netflix, which is unlikely
point is, netflix gonna lose, film studios/content creators win

music labels should do the same because streaming sales suck

also, there's 3 major labels and everybody else

music listeners/movie watchers get to choose from multiple services, the one with the better product at the best price wins
competition is good.

content is king
:blessed:

consumers go to where the piff is
:mjlol:

this tells me you don't understand anything about this business model. i'll let you troll in peace

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
People just have to make a choice, that’s all it is

We’re going back to when you couldn’t have everything all of the time

Cable is the one really losing here cause more people are going to cord cut to make room for these now

So we’ll spend $10 on Netflix, $10 on Hulu, $10 on Disney, $10 on amazon and still be cheaper than cable

Them shyts ain't gonna be $10 for long. Netflix has gone up in price 3 times in the last 2 years. They are all spending billions on content, them prices gonna rise

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Netflix saw the writing on the wall that's why they are investing billions in original content and they have over 130 million subs worldwide. Shows like Stranger Things are far more popular than most of what's on regular TV because so many people have Netflix.

They invested billions in movies too, tho that's been far less successful than their TV content. They need to make better movies.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I dont mind the ala carte model, this is what we have been moving towards with cable, movie ala carte is just as good, buy what you want. Win win.

If I could choose to not bu espn and its channels and say 20 dollars I would in a heartbeat.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I said this a while back but we'll soon get to a point where having a cable subscription + 1 or 2 streaming services will make sense again. Honestly, I have a budget for what I spend on streaming. Once that's exceeded something is gonna get cut :yeshrug:
People ain't stupid... Neither cable companies, internet companies or streaming companies.. You think you just gonna cut $150 a month and watch everything for $7.99 and businesses gonna let it happen? It was good while it lasted. I'll stick to torrents and plex.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
People ain't stupid... Neither cable companies, internet companies or streaming companies.. You think you just gonna cut $150 a month and watch everything for $7.99 and businesses gonna let it happen? It was good while it lasted. I'll stick to torrents and plex.

No doubt things were gonna change. All I’m saying is I have a set budget on what I spend on entertainment. Once I exceed that, something gets cut.

I only have so much time in a day for content.

Just last month I cut Tidal and Hulu. I’m not really missing it. People gotta be careful with over subscription. It’ll be to the point where you’re paying $10 a month to just watch a single show.