Straw Hat Luffy top 20 Anime of all time

Neil McCauley

S.D.E.
Daps
I'm baffled by some of you saying you want Dragonball and One Piece in your top 5 :francis:

stuff that was entertaining when we were youngin's but ya'll do realize there are anime for grown ppl out there right? with characters that have actual depth and adult themes

One Piece, Dragonball, etc are limited by the fact they're predominantly aimed at the 5-12 year old demographic, nikkas talking bout it's the GOAT :russ:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
I'm baffled by some of you saying you want Dragonball and One Piece in your top 5 :francis:

stuff that was entertaining when we were youngin's but ya'll do realize there are anime for grown ppl out there right? with characters that have actual depth and adult themes

One Piece, Dragonball, etc are limited by the fact they're predominantly aimed at the 5-12 year old demographic, nikkas talking bout it's the GOAT :russ:
Nah dragonball get that greenlight off the strength of giving these type of show they own lane without looking lame plus it reach pop culture like no other anime. Al ot cartoon show have dbz references

From Mexico to japan everybody who in certain age group knows goku

Dbz Wil be forever in top 5 GOAT dead or alive anime

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
@Straw Hat Luffy The T.I in my avatar was drawn by Oda.

I'll be back to make a full out of you on this statement.
Also One Piece is aimed at Japanese boys but studies show that the biggest fans of it are actually adults.
Let me guess do you read and/or watch Hunter x Hunter and think it's a masterfully deep story while thinking One Piece is a surface in terms of that :jbhmm:
Because if so then you've fallen for the okey-doke.
I respect OP for it's originality and it's goofiness as well as longevity. Outside of that not sure
One Piece is a legendary manga for more than just it's goofyness and longevity.
Will be back with answers.
Hey based on your first post in this thread I realized that I essentially described you in my reply above you.
Brotherhood better be #1

I've tried numerous times but just cant get into One Piece. I'm so far behind now it aint even worth trying to catch up. I'm like at episode 60 and its still not doing anything for me.
Read it then sir.
The manga is the source material and a different experience, based on your dislike of it the series would only get worse for you as you go in specific arcs based on how they're adapted
> anime recommendations from someone named after an autistic top 5 WOAT anime protagonist :camby:
Luffy is a masterfully written character.

Neil McCauley

S.D.E.
Daps
I'll be back to make a full out of you on this statement.
Also One Piece is aimed at Japanese boys but studies show that the biggest fans of it are actually adults.

It's been around for like 17 years at this point, those adult fans have been watching/reading the series since they were kids.
Let me guess do you read and/or watch Hunter x Hunter and think it's a masterfully deep story while thinking One Piece is a surface in terms of that :jbhmm:
Because if so then you've fallen for the okey-doke.

One Piece is a legendary manga for more than just it's goofyness and longevity.
Will be back with answers.
Hey based on your first post in this thread I realized that I essentially described you in my reply above you.

Read it then sir.
The manga is the source material and a different experience, based on your dislike of it the series would only get worse for you as you go in specific arcs based on how they're adapted

Luffy is a masterfully written character.

It's been around for like 17 years at this point, those adult fans have been watching/reading the series since they were kids.

Nope, not a fan of HxH in the slightest.

I've been reading OP for years and it's been generic trash for at least half a decade, you can come back with that full out response but I'm not going to take someones opinion on quality seriously when they describe Luffy as a masterfully written character, get the fukk outta here you clown:russ: he's damn near 20 years old and straight up autistic in his mannerisms and actions, I let it slide before there was a timeskip but apparently maturity is a foreign concept in that series.

Neil McCauley

S.D.E.
Daps
imma let the thread starter stunt for now though and give him a chance to drop some life changing anime

just be prepared to get called out if you on some booshyt :ufdup:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dahell: @ the One Piece slander in this thread.

It's merit as a GOAT series of all time is debatable, but it's DEFINITELY contender for GOAT shonen, rivalled only by Jojo's and FullMetal Alchemist IMO. Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin are up there as well, all of those get a :banderas: from me.

(though I've got a lot of catching up to do on Hunter x Hunter)

One Piece has been consistently great for years after a lot of it's contemporaries have completely fallen off, and is rarely less than at least decent. It's retained a remarkable level of consistency, and many of the major plot points and arcs going on currently have been built up and foreshadowed over hundreds of chapters. The only real downfalls right now are the excessive fanservice at times and some of the Strawhats not really getting enough shine lately (Sanji, Robin).

Not really shonen, but I enjoyed the original Gundam series (0079), and 08th MS team was legit. Looking forward to Zeta Gundam :lupe:

Back to the subject, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and the original Ghost in the Shell better be in your top 10 :myman:

Don't forget Grave of the Fireflies either :to: :to: :to:

Last edited:

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Honorable Mentions
567.jpg

Big O (1999)

Paradigm city is a place without a past. 40 years ago everybody lost their memories. However, Paradigm city was very busy city before losing their memories, such as making monsters and giant robots. This is a great series. Some of you might remember this classic being on Adult Swim late at night when, we were all youngins. The entire series has a batman vibe.​

40451.jpg

Bleach (2004)

Ichigo Kurosaki becomes a substitute soul reaper when Rukia Kuchiki cannot fulfill her duties after engaging in a fight against a powerful hallow. This anime gets hated a lot. However, Bleach has a soft spot for me. Yes- 45% of this anime is filler and is finished, while the manga still goes on. Bleach still deserves an honorable mention. If you skip the filler it’s a pretty enjoyable show. Bleach has some of my favorite openings of all time. I can say both the protagonist and antagonist characters in this show are pretty bad ass. I’d recommend giving it a try. People tend to throw dirt at Bleach but honestly, this series is very opinion based rather than facts. A lot of people hate or love it, there is no in between. You should try it out yourself by watching a few episodes. If you like the show, like I said, skip the filler. Then after you end the anime just hop on over to the manga. But there was no way I could put this in my top 20 anime of all time and take myself serious. I guess I can say this one was just a guilty pleasure?​

73178.jpg

Parasyte –The Maxim- (2015)

17 year old male named Shinichi Izumi, lives a quiet and normal life. Until one night, worm-like creatures called parasites invade the earth to take over humans by using their brains as hosts by entering a person’s nose or ears. A parasite tries to take over Shinichi but fails and decides to go with his hand instead. This honestly could be in my top 20. I just couldn’t come to an agreement to replace parasyte with any series on my top. This might change as I get older but as of right now we can just give it an honorable mention. There is an English version that comes on regular television every Saturday night on Toonami-Cartoon Network. Toonami recently aired the show so it’s easy to watch the first four episodes before the fifth one airs on the seventh (Nov). I do however recommend to watch the Japanese version instead because I prefer the Japanese voices better than the English in this situation. Parasyte is one of those series where you get into the story and characters right off the bat. When you finish the series you end up wanting more because you feel unsettled that it ended.​

56611.jpg
Space Dandy (2014)

Dandy is an Alien Hunter. He and his crew, who happen to be a robot and a cat, go on adventures looking for rare aliens. This is the type of anime you watch when you’re in pure relaxation mode, drinking and smoking. This isn’t the type of anime you need to take serious because you’re prepared for a perfect 10/10 series. The part where I mentioned his crew being a cat and robot should give a giant hint. It’s funny and pretty enjoyable. I can say this is pretty enjoyable for all types of anime watchers. People always tend to bring up the fact that it reminds them of Cowboy Bebop in a way. Space Dandy is just one of those series where you have nothing to complain about but you just know it shouldn’t be ranked as in all time for your personal rank. As I said, this is a series for drinking and smoking so the replay value is very high.​

20310.jpg
Trigun (1998)

“Vash The Stampede” is a man who causes trouble wherever he goes, thanks to his large bounty of 60 billion. Two Bernaredelli Insurance Society employees, Meryl Stryfe and Milly Thompson, follow Vash throughout the series to make the damage that Vash starts can be controlled. This is honestly an overall classic and is of course recommended to anime and non anime watchers. It has many funny and bad ass scenes. This show consists of a lot of shootouts which is always great. I just personally don’t like the ending, I also enjoyed the first half more than I did the second. I do however, as stated earlier, consider this a classic. It’s a hood classic too!​

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
Looking at these posts lots of people bout to be mad
Westrbook.gif

also will do anime series and movies separate. Starting off with anime series.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps

Nope, not a fan of HxH in the slightest.

I've been reading OP for years and it's been generic trash for at least half a decade, you can come back with that full out response but I'm not going to take someones opinion on quality seriously when they describe Luffy as a masterfully written character, get the fukk outta here you clown:russ: he's damn near 20 years old and straight up autistic in his mannerisms and actions, I let it slide before there was a timeskip but apparently maturity is a foreign concept in that series.
Do you think it's somehow more adult to not read shonen series? It's adult to forget to have fun? There's nothing inherently better about reading Vagabond or Oyasumi Punpun in place of One Piece or Boku No Hero Academia and luckily many of these "serious adult Seinen writers" like Inoue recognize that and have a high appreciation for these series.
One Piece doesn't just appeal to adults who grew up with it, it has a whimsical appeal that brings out people's inner child while being well written enough to get catch their interests on the more serious aspects.
So a child can read Skypiea and see a fun adventure arc with cool gadgets and a cool lightning man villain.
While an adult can read Skypiea and see a fun adventure arc with cool gadgets and a lightning man villain that impressively juggles themes of cultural appropriation, colonialism with moments that are reminiscent of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, totalitarian governing and the fear of living in a surveillance state, the nature of prayer, belief in a god, how a god should be, the nuance in the relationship between the oppressed and the oppressors, the inherited will and duty people hold to their ancestors, cross cultural relationships, and then tie it all up with a few poignant words from Luffy and a punch without it intruding on the reading process and it seeming preachy at all.
Of course that doesn't mean it's realistic in that the way the conflict between the Shandians and Skypieans resolved would never happen in the real world just like the conflict in Alabasta shouldn't have ended as simply as it did but that doesn't take away from the reading experience or what you can draw from the series.
Or take a look at Arlong Park.
The racism themes are on the forefront but there's still so much you can miss if you don't give it a deeper look.
In Fishman island it's revealed that Arlong modeled Arlong Park after the amusement park on Shabondy because as a child he always wanted to be apart of the human world and visit the park but he was rejected by them so he made his own for Fishmen by Hachi who says he always just wanted to be accepted.
But even if without that if you go back you can see the hints for that.
Arlong see's money as the great equalizer, with money it doesn't matter that he's a Fishman because it's the universal language. Not only does it give him influence over humans but it forces people like Nezumi to ignore his race and speak to him as an equal and Arlong wants to believe that so much that he spouts out about it and actually tries to get Nezumi to stay and have a drink with him saying that humans who understand the value while Nezumi still see's him essentially as a lesser creature (even if you're in a benz you're still a nikka in a coup).
It's one of the reasons he was so attached to Nami as a member of his crew, on one hand he used her as a slave but on the other hand he wanted human approval so much that he called her a friend. He wants to dominate humans but he also wants to be acknowledged.
And Luffy operates as the perfect foil for him as he does for every villain that he face.
While every other human including the ones on Luffy's crew makes note of the Fishman's race as a point of mockery Luffy is such a simple guy that there race is a non issue to him.
Oda's smart enough to recognize that it's impossible for people to be indifferent towards things like that with the casual racism/microagressions from the crew but through Luffy he makes a statement about how acceptance should be, not a rejection of differences but an acceptance of them.
And for Arlong who takes pride in his Fishman heritage as a reaction to the extreme prejudice he faces it's the ultimate insult that Luffy, a human can up and do this
31_zpsyykzy9qd.jpg

And then repeatedly refuse to acknowledge all of the other attributes Arlong thinks makes him superior, actually he undermines them with his own actions.
I could go deeper with that but I'm not going to.
The point is that there's a great deal of subtext in Luffy's simplicity and it takes a great deal of skill to make a character lie him and not make him into a trite Goku copy (he's very different than Goku and I can explain why) or grating twat like Natsu.
There's so much more in the Arlong Park on that I could go into with him, specific moments and arcs before like Baratie and arcs in the future.
Also heres a charcter analysis of Bellamy that I wrote since people never give him the thought he deserves and you probably don't recognize how great he is:
"Bellamy was an impressionable kid who was bored of his life and wanted to be a pirate so he took Doflamingo's flag with the condition that he couldn't lose and built his entire career and motivation around that symbol/stipulation and what he perceived Mingo and his ideals to be which lead to his obsession with strength and other worldly possessions like gold and common thug activity so when he was beat by Luffy he lost a lot of things and when Doflamingo threw him out he lost almost everything but Doflamingo also told him to choose his own destiny but not while flying his flag and that coupled with the influence from Luffy lead to him going to Skypiea where he really lost everything because his crew died so of course he's going to latch on to the only thing he can hope to recover which is his pride in Doflamingo and that goal of joining with him became his first real dream and Luffy taught him the value of dreams (plus he essentially just went to heaven and had an epiphany on life) so he went extra hard for Mingo and everything was riding on his service of him but Luffy was directly at odds with Mingo which made him at odds with Bellamy and lead to a struggle within Bellamy.
And when he went to confirm that Dellinger had been ordered to kill him Bellamy was let in on who Mingo really was and was told that they always had different goals and that Bellamy would just be a common thug which shredded anything Bellamy could have saw in him because all Bellamy wanted to do was really be a pirate which also served to sever any hopes he could have of joining Mingo even if the other thing didn't do it for him.
And he was told that the weak don't get to choose their way to die. So now Bellamy's essentially at rock bottom and while the reasonable and healthy thing to do would be to not fight the person who saved him changed his worldview, and showed him Mercy Bellamy is currently an emotional wreck so he comes to terms with the way he's been living his life, as a fool following the wrong man and ops to stick with that out of loyaly? Out of pride? Out desperation? Because he has a death wish? For his dead crew members? Because he doesn't see where else he could go from here on out? Because he wants to choose the way he dies even though Doflamingo said the weak don't get to choose the way they die and in a way ideologically opposing him while still claiming dedication but still indirectly being controlled by Doflamingo because Mingo knew Bellamy would still die for him? Because he feels he deserves to die? Because Luffy is the only man he respects now and wants to die by his hands because of it? It's all of that mixed together and honestly while yes Bellamy does need to get beat down it's still one of the most poignant and tragic things Oda has ever written. Luffy taught Bellamy the value of dreams and now Bellamy is learning what it feels like to have one crushed."
"Doflamingo said back on Jaya that the wave that was coming would crush anyone not strong enough to survive so Bellamy resolved to join him as a way to get over it because he clearly wasn't confident in his own ability based on him losing to Luffy and losing his crew.
But now in the new world of all places he's set out on his own, not following any man for the first time in his life even with the wave coming.
Bellamy has grown."
"And he told Doflamingo that he picked on the weaklings because he believed that by getting rid of them first one day he would reach Doflamingo's level.
And guess what? He doesn't do that anymore either, he actively joins a tournament that pits him against the best to reach his goal."
I should do Gin next and a post on the themes of Thriller Bark and how Oda subtly weaves them in.

Last edited: