Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

jaguar paw

Music Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Optimistic But I Got Hands Tho
Y'all need to temper y'all expectations with people playing Pac. Pac was a character in and of himself, it's going to be hard for anyone to portray him and not seem cartoonish, for the 2.6 minutes he had, he was fine, I think he had the Pac vocal inflection down pretty well. Now recording Hail Mary before california love was :jbhmm: The actor playing snoop was lacking, but again, he had like 4 minutes on screen, so i don't care

Do we know for a fact that Hail Mary wasn't recorded during the All Eyez On Me sessions?

Dirty D

Vikes & Raptors 4 Life
Daps
Reppin
The 6
Do we know for a fact that Hail Mary wasn't recorded during the All Eyez On Me sessions?

The claim is that all of the Makaveli album's vocals were recorded in the first week of August 1996. AEOM was already out in February. Cali Love was already out in late '95.

The timeline is definitely off but Hail Mary is an iconic track so I can see why they put it there. The other option would have been Can't C Me, since that's the other Dre track Pac had. They coulda had him kicking the "U n!ggaz made a mistake, you should have never put my rhymes with Dre" verse instead of Hail Mary, but they went with a more famous track.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I remember an article where Pac was really excited about some songs(Makaveli, I assume) and hum drum about AEOM songs.

I remember he said, "That's just some shyt I did for Suge", in reference to AEOM tracks.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
znwa.jpg

Box Office: 'Straight Outta Compton' Nabs Massive $24.2M Friday

Straight Outta Compton was announced about a year ago. At the time, it was slotted for this very weekend specifically to replace the delayed fifth Bourne movie which was to again star Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz. Said picture was a sequel to The Bourne Legacy, which opened around this period in 2012 with a $38 million debut. But that fifth film got indefinitely delayed when Universal/Comcast CMCSA -1.72%Corp. was able to get Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass back onboard the franchise. So this weekend we instead haveStraight Outta Compton, a $29m, R-rated biopic about the groundbreaking rap group N.W.A. It has earned $24.2 million on its first day and will probably end the weekend with just over/under $57m, making it one of the biggest August debuts ever. I think we can all agree that a sequel to The Bourne Legacy would not have opened this weekend with $57m, and it surely would not have cost just $29m to produce. And yet, in light of this fact, we should take a moment to note that it is still infinitely more likely that we’ll see more movies like The Bourne Irrelevancy than we will like Straight Outta Compton.

Yes, after what can be called a “pitch perfect” campaign with solid reviews to boot, F. Gary Gray’sStraight Outta Compton, produced by Legendary Pictures among others, earned a terrific $24.2 million Friday gross, including $4.957m in Thursday previews. That’s the fourth biggest opening day in August history, behind Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Bourne Ultimatum, and Guardians of the Galaxy. It bests the likes of Signs, Rush Hour 2, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. With a $24.2m opening Friday, it is one for the record books. And with the exception of I Am Legend, it has the biggest opening day of any movie with a black man as the top-billed star.

Box Office: 'Straight Outta Compton' Nabs Massive $24.2M Friday

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
best movie of the year.. hip hop classic, Ice Cube's son almost had me convinced it was really his dad playing this shyt

the dude playing Eazy E deserves an oscar nomination

didn't like how they potrayed Dr Dre as a tough guy, especially in front of Suge

Lmao

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I'm surprise nobody is talking about how the dude that played snoop looks nothing like him...he looks like k-ci :mjlol:
Shyt I thought it was Daz & Kurupt at first :russ:. Movie was really good though. I expected them to make Dre a saint. The first half was waaay better. I wish they would have elaborated on D.O.C. Yella and MC Rens role being writers and their NWA role. And how much D.O.C. helped Dr.Dre with The Chronic. Overall it was a great biopic. Suge was crazy as fukk. Yella is up for mvp with the comedy. The dude that played Easy was great. And the dude that played Jerry Heler was good too. I wish it was another hour. Dre meeting Nicole annoyed me for some reason.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I agree that Eazy was a little bit slighted on his post N.W.A. career but let's be honest.. I was impressed that they even mentioned Above the Law and Bone Thugs got two mentions.. the biggest being Yella giving E the E.1999 tape and alluding to how crazy it was. If young ass nikkas want to look up Bone on their own time they can and they'll discover some goddamn classic material.

IF this continues.. I agree that a Death Row movie would be a great look but it's going to be very difficult to find someone to play Pac. I could see someone doing Snoop well but Pac man... that's tough. :lupe:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just came home from this.......I am from San Diego, I was born in 85 and came into hip hop in like 97, for whatever reason I NEVER was as big with west coast..It was always more eastcoast/south, starting with Mase, Jay, Nas, etc etc....and I missed the NWA era, by the time I came in Cube was making movies and 'War & Peace', which I loved, I watched 'Friday' on USA when I was like 13...and Dre dropped 'The Chronic' 2001 when I was in 8th grade...I will say it's so dope to have a hip hop biopic, and really trace the origins of these iconic stars of an entire generation and genre....even if they are not MY favorites, what the stand for, and what they created i what we all love...Just what they did with this movie is commendable, the fact of where they came from, and what they did for the game....you can't deny that...I give it up for them...

From the opening shots F. Gary Gray seems to have found his footing again as a director, loved the grimy dope spot scenes of Compton at night, the enclosed world they all lived in....It felt tense and chaotic, oppressed and bleak....Dre's opener was less so, stock dialogue and wooden lines burdened his character from the beginning, Cubes was solid...while I thought some aspects of the 'bus stop' scene were good, it seemed very on the nose and convenient, of course you never know if a story like that was real..I really doubt it, but it does beg the question does it work for a movie. Gray got the characters right, but I think verged on over the top, and this repeats throughout. The rising scenes are done well, the police were a little overplayed and felt like stock villains, which is no doubt how they were perceived......it just felt a little much at times. I loved Easy E and Cube....They shined, even with some clunky lines and poorly written scenes like the death of Dre's brother...That was bad. 'An accident"??? Borderline laughable. Again, I have no idea if they all really got off the bus and hugged, but begs the question, should it have been in the movie?

Gray starts to fumble more and more going forward with obnoxious and distracting score music, piercing every scene, almost equivalent to a laugh track...Cue ominous music....cue lightly triumphant music.....Suge Knight's scene bordered on really good....yet there was an edge missing, I laughed because I love all these characters so much, and the whole saga is just something so fascinating and beloved by me.....but, also there was an element of comic book villain to it, which felt off. Suge was presented as barely a real person, and his antics didn't seem quite right in tone. The diss track and the back and forth saga, of course lacked the final tracks, but were some of the movies better moments....It really felt alive wit Suge and the studio sessions and music...It faltered as it showed Dre meeting his wife, awful writing, and broke down more as it chronicled Easy's downfall....no because of the acting, just the writing....'Teh Chronic' scene was over the top....The coughs were apparently accurate, it just seemed cheap at times though. And the Jimmy Iovine scene? What bothers me most was how sanitized everything was.

The Pac scene was badly mishandled, as well as the distracting obviously WAY off time frame, his performance was about on the level of Anthony Mackie in 'Notorious'. Contained no trace of the dark and frentic energy which consumed Pac, and separated him from Dr Dre, musically and personally... I don't know if Pac is just such an icon, he can never be portrayed, but they need to do better.....Just a mess of a scene. Then Dre barking on a room full of Mob Piru's and Suge? In what was a weird reenactment of the Mark Bell incident? Of course the end scene was laughable.....I bet Dre just never came to work and sent word through an attorney. and LOL at everyone saying how many dudes did he knock out? Yeah, Dre was def. 'recollecting' a lot in the writing room....The ending montage lost me when it become Aftermath/Interscope/Apple PR, I thought that was tacky and took away from the message....

I would love to see a Pac/Death Row movie, but it needs to be darker...THis won't cut it. Better directing, better writing, edgier, more violent..needs an artistic hand in it...Gray was very glossy and mainstream in his handling of it.... cinematography is bland, or heavy handed, like those Watts shots.....It's an enjoyable/watchable movie, but this should have been better, I maybe didn't expect it to be....and any further hip hop movies...need more of an edge. Fuqua is probably washed at this point, but the movie needed his eye for violence and authentic street shyt....This felt very off at points....This is B- to me. Worth watching, and a triumphant nod to the game and the fans...loved the in jokes and 'Felicia' moment...

Normally, movies have the capability to portray you bigger/more charismatic/magnetic than you really are/were.

But with Pac, even movie magic falls short....Just let's you know how raw he really was.The shine can't be captured/duplicated:wow: