Stockton/Malone played 18 seasons together and were eliminated in the 1st round 9 times

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Look, they pushed Magic's Lakers, arguably the best dynasty ever at their peak to 7 games in '88.

That means nothing cause prime Jazz also went 7 against the 8-seed Nuggets after having a 3-0 lead. :russ:

In fact, the very next year after taking the Lakers to 7, they got swept in the first round by a 7-seed Warriors squad led by Mullin/Richmond. Jazz were also starting DPOY/All-Star Mark Eaton and 20ppg scorer Thurl Bailey, while the Warriors were starting Rod Higgins, Winston Garland, and Larry Smith.

You saying "Well Mullin and Richmond are Hall of Famers" is disingenuous. In 1989, Richmond was just a rookie who wouldn't make all-star until 1993, and Mullin was making his first All-Star game ever. Even at their prime, neither one has nearly the reputation of Malone and Stockton. And on top of that, Malone and Stockton had the better coach and better supporting cast.

Getting swept in the first round by a less experienced team with lesser players from top to bottom is completely inexcusable.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
they didn't win because Jordan didn't let a lot of folks eat. :umad:

lol, Stockton/Hornacek were half-washed by the time they got to the Bulls. Why didn't they win the previous 11 years, when they were in their prime and often had better supporting casts too?

Make a big deal about them being beat by the '98 Jordan/Pippen Bulls, when the very next year they lost to the Isaiah Rider Blazers in a series where his #2 scorer was Brian Grant.

1986: Lost 3-1 in first round by 4-seed Aguirre Mavs
1987: Lost 3-2 in first round by 5-seed "Joe Barely Cares" Warriors
1989: Lost 3-0 in first round by 7-seed Mullin/Richmond Warriors
1990: Lost 3-2 in first round by 5-seed Chambers/Johnson Suns
1993: Lost 3-2 in first round by 3-seed Kemp/Payton Sonics (when they were still young as hell)
1995: Lost 3-2 in first round by 6-seed Olajuwon/Drexler Rockets
2001: Lost 3-2 in first round by 5-seed Dirk Mavs

Outside of the Rockets, those were "good" but not "great" teams. They all just lost the next round. :comeon:

They weren't getting beat by dominant squads most years, they were getting beat by squads that weren't even considered top-5 teams in the NBA. Hell, even half the "good teams" that beat them, like the '91 and '92 Blazers, the '96 Sonics, and the '99 and '00 Blazers, just turned around and lost in the next round.

Until '97 and '98, when Stockton/Hornacek were 35yo and so washed they were only averaging 10-11 ppg, they never even got just "one step away" from a title". They were losing well before that time and time again.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Look at my post to Rhakim, they were losing to Hall of Famers & teams that beat Hall of Famers
The 1987 and 1989 Golden State Warriors beat no one of note.

Those Portland teams didn’t beat any other great team and only had one great in Drexler.

The 94 Rockets was Hakeem and the Miracles. That wasn’t a great roster.

You are also ignoring that Malone and Stockton shrunk in pivotal moments.

And no, Rodman joined San Antonio in '93, not '94.
Cool. Guess who still wasn’t the coach of that team. :heh:

And still David Robinson & Sean Elliott did have a Hall of Fame coach. If they actually won something, he probably would've stuck around longer.
No they wouldn’t.

Robinson also declined badly in the postseason too because he lacked a truly elite scoring repertoire. He wasn’t Malone, but he was a jump shooter.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes, I was a mod on SOHH. Explain how I was trying to impress people by being a mod? Are the mods on this forum trying to impress people?

Do you have any examples of or times when I deleted a thread on SOHH because someone disagreed with me? I know you are lying and more than likely projecting something you would do, but you can at least offer some information of that.

Think about what you are writing before you hit submit.

And I don’t know who owns this forum now, but I’m pretty sure the owner of SOHH was a black woman. I also don’t know how that is relevant to you working hard to impress children.

Lastly, you have given up on the Jason Kidd convo because it’s out of your wheelhouse.
Did RettaS own SOHH?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Look, they pushed Magic's Lakers, arguably the best dynasty ever at their peak to 7 games in '88.

If they could do that, there's lots of champions they could've beat because the '80s Lakers are sweeping 90% of the teams in NBA history:yeshrug:

In '89, it's not like they didn't show up against Golden State.

Stockton put up 30 & 14 in the 1st game & 34 & 16 the 3rd game

Malone puts up 37 & 22 in game 2.

It's just that Chris Mullen went out of his mind in that series. He's in the Hall of Fame & was on the Dream Team for a reason.

Mitch Richmond's in the Hall of Fame too.

In '90, they lost to a Phoenix team that beat Magic's Lakers in 5 games, so Phoenix couldn't be that bad

In '91, they get revenge on that Phoenix team in the first round, but lost to a Portland team that was in between Finals runs

In '92 they lost to Portland, who gave Jordan's Bulls hell in the Finals, not a scrub team

In '93, they lost to a Sonics team that was just better. That Kemp/Payton team would go on to be a 64 win team a few years later & this team included a lot of really good players from that era like Ricky Pierce, Derrick McKey, & Sam Perkins

In '94, they lost to a top 10 player ever at his absolute peak in Hakeem Olajuwon & that Houston team beat a great Knicks team

In '95, they again lost to a better team in a peak Hakeem Olajuwon with Clyde Drexler, who'd go on to sweep Shaq & Penny in the Finals

In '96, they pushed a 64 win Sonics team to 7 games, there is ABSOLUTELY no shame in that.

So, basically, like I said, the NBA was competitive as hell in their era and yeah, maybe they could've won one or two of those series, but if you look at who they lost to when they lost to them, it makes sense.

Even the Golden State team in '88 was led by 2 Hall of Famers on it and were coached by a Hall of Fame coach:yeshrug:

It's not like they were losing to The Clippers or some thing

Dude, the commissioner of the NBA just came out & said that they changed the rules to make it easier for smaller players like Steph Curry to look good, give it a rest.

Look at my post to Rhakim, they were losing to Hall of Famers & teams that beat Hall of Famers

They didn't lose to ONE scrub team.

The Golden State team they lost to had a guy on the Dream Team, a Hall of Famer, who was considered the 2nd best SG to MJ for most of the '90s, and a Hall of Fame coach in Don Nelson.

And no, Rodman joined San Antonio in '93, not '94.

And still David Robinson & Sean Elliott did have a Hall of Fame coach. If they actually won something, he probably would've stuck around longer.
Naming hall of fame players doesnt equate to losing to great teams

NYC Rebel

Daps
I remember you from SOHH. You were a mod, talking about trying to impress people.. the board was dying and you were still there putting in work for that white broad. Every time someone disagreed with you all on a topic all of sudden the thread would mysteriously disappear. Stop the cap.
Your lying is prolific.

NYC Rebel

Daps
100% truth. stop trying to cape for your old head compadre fakkit and stop trying to bait me, you're both washed up losers :mjlol:
Never got that vibe from him.

Why do you always come up with batshyt posts labeling people after your wack sports opinions get smacked around?

Its a pretty see through habit

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
100% truth. stop trying to cape for your old head compadre fakkit and stop trying to bait me, you're both washed up losers :mjlol:
You haven’t posted anything to show that I deleted posts of people who disagreed with me.

What you always tend to do is lie, insult and when that fails ignore and pretend you never said what you lied about with a smiley attached.

You also never talked about Jason Kidd again in this thread.