Stockton/Malone played 18 seasons together and were eliminated in the 1st round 9 times

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yes. The 1988 version of the jazz with Stockton/jeff and karl malone ended up being the best iteration of that team. THAT is who the Lakers faced “in the 80s.” How am I deviating from anything? You mentioned the 80s that jazz team was the best they ever was which happened to be that time and that’s who the Lakers faced.

The thread is about their overall years together. What are you not getting?
1.)How was that the best iteration, by what measure? They won 47 games in a shytty west, Malone/Stockton weren’t even at their peaks.

2.)You consider the 1988 Jazz to be a great team? If that’s the best team they beat in the west during that run that’s kinda pathetic

3.)The Lakers competition in the west during their run was mostly trash, it was basically a free ride to the finals every year. I just highlighted 1987 to make my point

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
1.)How was that the best iteration, by what measure?

2.)You consider the 1988 Jazz to be a great team? If that’s the best team they beat in the west during that run that’s kinda pathetic

3.)The Lakers competition in the west during their run was mostly trash, it was basically a free ride to the finals every year. I just highlighted 1987 to make my point
I consider that team to be a good team, which “at the time” many thought was on the way to becoming a great team. They never became a great team. That was their peak.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
2 of the 5 best players ever at their position played for 18 years and went out in round 1/2 13 of the 18 seasons? This is basically unprecedented.

Imagine if Steph Curry/Dirk Nowitkski were together for 18 years with a HOF coach and never won a ring? You wouldn’t believe that.

The only explanation they weren’t as good as people said

How many times did Dirk get eliminated in the 1/2 rounds? He played 20 years and has 2 Finals appearances, 3 Conf Finals. Look at Hakeem. He was being ousted routinely early. Hell, Sonics were their weakness. Moses. KD & Russ, Shaq, Wade. Barkley. KG and countless others.

In fact, there's only a handful of players you cannot say it about - Russell, Cousy, Jordan, Steph, Lebron. Duncan, Logo. Wilt. Magic. Doc & Bird, Kobe..and perhaps 2 other names

Jerry Sloan became a HOF coach because of them, and they had already been to playoffs 5 or so years before he came.

Boonapalist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
The best teams the Lakers best in the West were the 80 Suns and SuperSonics, 88 Mavericks and 89 Suns

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
How many times did Dirk get eliminated in the 1/2 rounds? He played 20 years and has 2 Finals appearances, 3 Conf Finals. Look at Hakeem. He was being ousted routinely early. Hell, Sonics were their weakness. Moses. KD & Russ, Shaq, Wade. Barkley. KG and countless others.

In fact, there's only a handful of players you cannot say it about - Russell, Cousy, Jordan, Steph, Lebron. Duncan, Logo. Wilt. Magic. Doc & Bird, Kobe..and perhaps 2 other names

Jerry Sloan became a HOF coach because of them, and they had already been to playoffs 5 or so years before he came.
1.)How many of these guys played together though :mjlol: . Imagine if Dirk played with Steph curry for 18 years they won zero chips and got Eliminated in round 9 times?

That’s kinda the point. 2 of the alleged 5 best players to ever play their position played together for 20 years(their entire peaks and primes) and were regular playoff flameouts.

2.)It sounds like Your saying Jerry was the overrated one? The problem with that is he made a WCF without both those guys with Deron Williams who will never make the hall.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
On to 1989. 51 win team, swept in the 1st round.

Six straight playoff losses to the Warriors.

All the typical complaints are ALREADY here…in 1989. Dry spells on offense, 5 points in 14 possessions, Malone scoreless for long stretches, no ability to score, etc.

NBA scoring drought era began :scust:

I remember this well. There was one game when Stockton kept going to the same spot and bricking, over and over again. As a kid, I thought he sucked.

Later on I learned he was a great PG, but that was a huge upset. Those Don Nelson Warrior teams were good at pulling off first round upsets (89, 91, and eventually 07), but they lacked the size to get any farther.

They were horrible defensively though. MJ ate off them in the Finals more than any finals team he faces.

Oliver Miller being their best low post defender :scust:

It was such a drastic change from the defensive minded Knicks in the 93’ ECF.

MJ toyed with the Suns. Poor Majerle was hopeless.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
If shooters back, then shoot, as well as they do now, defensive will be extended, and we’d see the same type of scoring.

I don’t wanna hear shyt about the 90s anymore. I was disgusted watching the middling Davis boys battle in Charles Oakley in the low blocks. Throw that 90s ball in the trash.

I posted this in here years ago… “And that is Knicks first field goal and over 5 minutes and 37 seconds!!” - Marv Albert. :camby:

The 80s and now shyt all over that trash era.

Michael Jordan covered the complete fall off from 80s NBA quality I saw from the league in the 90s. shyt was atrocious and I said it in real time.

Did you not enjoy watching Charles Barkley or Mark Jackson post his defender up until there was 2 seconds left on the shot clock, and then miss a fadeaway?

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Even you have to admit he's 100% correct.

Its rarely discussed but its a big deal especially how much better the east was in the 80s.

They had years where they would be facing the 41 win suns in the WCF, 39 win Sonics in the WCF. It gave them an immense advantage in the finals facing those beatup pistons, celtics and sixers teams. No hate, but no one talks about it.

Forlife44

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just say you cant speak on the Jazz and dont want to because you want the idea that the Bulls faced a “great Jazz team” to not be interfered with.

You believe the Jazz were a great team.

Congratulations on being that buffoon .
I ❤️ you man

Peruvian Connect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SOHH the Great Shaquille O'Neal was getting ousted by a wack ass Jazz team year after year? But he's undoubtably better than Jokic?