Steven Spielberg to Direct ‘Ready Player One’

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Nah not you. @FlyRy :russ: he and I have been talked about this on Twitter. Told him just because he didn't care about the movies doesn't mean they weren't hit movies. I didn't care about any of those diary of a wimpy kid movies either but I can't sit here and say they weren't hits
U have to talk to dude on Twitter too? :francis:

It's crazy for me, it's just not the same with Spielberg anymore. He's my top director but his movies don't have the same magic and even rawness that they once did. Everything is too pristine and digital. I knew he was done after War of the Worlds.

I wanna slap the shyt outta him sometimes :russ:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
:stopitslime:

Act like Lincoln and bridge of spies and war horses weren't hits just because you didn't give a shyt. :francis:
War Horse was definitely not a hit. Lincoln may have made money but when's the last time you've actually heard anyone talk about it? Also BFG was a flop too.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

It's crazy for me, it's just not the same with Spielberg anymore. He's my top director but his movies don't have the same magic and even rawness that they once did. Everything is too pristine and digital. I knew he was done after War of the Worlds.

War of the Worlds was the last movie of his I saw in a theater. And I really didn't like it. 2002 was the last time he was firing on all cylinders in my opinion. Minority Report in Catch Me If You Can

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I read the book a few weeks ago. Hopefully, it plays better as a movie. It definitely would work as a series. As for this movie, I don't think it'll fair well. It's a tweener flick - looks to bubble gum-ish for the crowd that it was made for, and too retro for the younger crowd. I'm still going to see it, no matter what.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

His interests have changed with age, which happens with all of us for real. War of the Worlds feels like the last time he was angry. Until The Post and that anger returned. Now if you're not interested in the subject matter, that makes sense. BFG I can't speak for because I'd never read the book and really didn't care. But there's also this thing in our generation to act as if everything he did in the 80s and 90s was gold and we cared about it. Look at the tapes and you'll see that wasn't the case. Raiders was a big gamble because he was coming off 1941, which bombed something awful. His rep comes from the skill, the money, and just how massive the massive hits really were.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
War Horse was definitely not a hit. Lincoln may have made money but when's the last time you've actually heard anyone talk about it? Also BFG was a flop too.

War Horse was a hit breh, check the receipts.

And film geeks and Lincoln? A lot because it's a tight script and DDL is DDL. And I've heard it referenced in our current political climate.

But also, just to make it perfectly clear: I don't give a shyt about anyone "talking about" anything for me to like it, love it, or none of the above. A hit movie is a hit movie, we aren't talking about something that will always stand the test of time and be discussed forever. The Thing was a bomb in its day and it's talked about more now than it was 30 years ago, just like blade runner. More people talk about those two movies than Lawrence of Arabia but does that mean Lawrence of Arabia isn't a dope ass movie and wasn't a big hit? Nope

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
His interests have changed with age, which happens with all of us for real. War of the Worlds feels like the last time he was angry. Until The Post and that anger returned. Now if you're not interested in the subject matter, that makes sense. BFG I can't speak for because I'd never read the book and really didn't care. But there's also this thing in our generation to act as if everything he did in the 80s and 90s was gold and we cared about it. Look at the tapes and you'll see that wasn't the case. Raiders was a big gamble because he was coming off 1941, which bombed something awful. His rep comes from the skill, the money, and just how massive the massive hits really were.
It's his style that's changed and the way things are filmed now just doesn't suit him anymore.

Spielberg has his duds pre 2k, but he always came back to drop heat. All big movies are gambles but Raiders had way too much going for it to flop. Then u drop ET, then u drop temple then you drop several period pieces then you drop Crusade then Hook :scust:
Then Jurassic Park and Schindlers List in the same fukkin year! Then you drop SPR.

Now it's bfg :francis:
Tin tin :francis:
Terminal :francis:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
War Horse was a hit breh, check the receipts.

And film geeks and Lincoln? A lot because it's a tight script and DDL is DDL. And I've heard it referenced in our current political climate.

But also, just to make it perfectly clear: I don't give a shyt about anyone "talking about" anything for me to like it, love it, or none of the above. A hit movie is a hit movie, we aren't talking about something that will always stand the test of time and be discussed forever. The Thing was a bomb in its day and it's talked about more now than it was 30 years ago, just like blade runner. More people talk about those two movies than Lawrence of Arabia but does that mean Lawrence of Arabia isn't a dope ass movie and wasn't a big hit? Nope
Ah. Overseas saved warhorse. Didn't do much domestically though. I just don't feel that his films are event films like they were when we were teenagers. Villenueve and Nolan movies are definitely day 1 in theaters like Spielberg used to be.

He spent the last decade-and-a-half mainly doing the more boring side of his work in my opinion. I like Blockbuster Spielberg.

I thought the post is really boring and if the field was still 5 nominees there's zero chance it would have been nominated

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Ah. Overseas saved warhorse. Didn't do much domestically though. I just don't feel that his films are event films like they were when we were teenagers. Villenueve and Nolan movies are definitely day 1 in theaters like Spielberg used to be.

He spent the last decade-and-a-half mainly doing the more boring side of his work in my opinion. I like Blockbuster Spielberg.

I thought the post is really boring and if the field was still 5 nominees there's zero chance it would have been nominated
Yeah, like he's releasing all his movies he had in the vault or something.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

He's so good at what he does I like him making movies period. I don't need him to just do blockbusters for me to be interested. I'm all about subject matter. But I get it. Like I said, if what he's done lately isn't up your alley, that works. Everything ain't for everybody. But I'm never going to turn down a movie about the Cold War, Lincoln, or the pentagon papers done by my fav director of all time:manny:

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I was trying to think of the last Spielberg movie I really, really liked and that would have to be Minority Report, I guess. I've liked a few others (Bridge of Spies, Munich, War of the Worlds), but Minority Report was the last one, with a lot of replay value, in my opinion. Tin Tin may need to get a re-watch, because I remember liking it, but never really went back to it.

"You looked a little cold, so I lit a wiiiii fire. :smugdraper:"
"IN A BOAT?!?!? :damn:"
*the boat explodes*

He still makes good movies, but they don't have the replay value of JAWS or Raiders or ET or Jurassic Park.

Last edited:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Looks like people are just discussing the premise of the movie. Maybe you should learn to tolerate others opinions and if you dont like discussions you may be on the wrong forum.
Nah, i see passive aggressive replies being done after they gave their opinions on the movie. Maybe they should fukk off :obama: