Steven Spielberg to Direct ‘Ready Player One’

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I had the book for about a year and just didn't get around to reading it and I'm so glad I saw the movie first. It seems like reading a book first sends you into the theater with a number of set expectations and scenes you MUST see and if those expectations aren't met you turn bitter and just complain about shyt that doesn't really NEED to be in the movie but because it was in the book you can't let it go. It's as if you spend the entire time watching the movie thinking about how it's deviating from the book.

If you see the movie first you are able to take it for what is presented on the screen, you don't have anything else to compare it to at the time. I'll most likely go see this again with the Movie Pass then read the book next week.

I agree. I watched the movie, loved it and decided to read the book. I'm about halfway through it, and it's very different from the movie. However, I still appreciate what the movie brought but I think I enjoy the book a bit more. Either way, I'm copping the blu ray whenever it comes out.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I agree. I watched the movie, loved it and decided to read the book. I'm about halfway through it, and it's very different from the movie. However, I still appreciate what the movie brought but I think I enjoy the book a bit more. Either way, I'm copping the blu ray whenever it comes out.

I finished the book and I think the oasis was presented much better in the movie as the book challenges would have been boring. I didn't think the book took advantage of the setting enough and it was too heavy on obscure movies and gaming minutia. They also laid on the Halladay worship too thick and they made him seem like someone you would never want to be around.

I will say the characterization and real world story was better in the book.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was ok with this until I heard the line "You killed my mother's sister!":hhh::gucci::scust::mjlol:
The love story had no build up, dude said I love you on their first "date":heh:
I really didn't geek out on any of the nostalgia like the Delorean, Iron Giant or King Kong, probably because they were in every trailer:francis:
The final battle was cool I guess, whole movie was pretty to look at:ehh:
But I think South Park did it better with "Imagination Land" :hubie:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

matter of fact if one of the "High 5" would have chosen ME as their powered up Avatar:primefacepalm:
they could had recreated this scene with "You Got the Touch" playing during the final battle and this would have been the greatest movie ever:jordan1:
YC34iOE.gif
I forgot all about Imagination Land:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Yeah this was about the exact same quality as the book.

A poorly written masturbatory exercise in nostalgia.

The fact is it’s just an empty shell of references with shytty characters and a cliche silly plot.

I get a crack out of anybody praising it starting off with “as an 80s baby” or some shyt that makes me roll my eyes to the back of my head.

If all it takes for some people is to see things from their childhood to praise it then good for you for being such a simple minded easily pleased person :hubie: I’m sure if I grew up on a farm with an IQ of the justice league opening weekend domestic numbers I would love this film.

The differences between the book and the film didn’t bother me because both are lowest common denominator drivel.

The movie and book are just like playing a game with cheat codes on instead of using skill.

It had okayish action scenes but I was mostly bored out of my mind.

2/10

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Yeah this was about the exact same quality as the book.

A poorly written masturbatory exercise in nostalgia.

The fact is it’s just an empty shell of references with shytty characters and a cliche silly plot.

I get a crack out of anybody praising it starting off with “as an 80s baby” or some shyt that makes me roll my eyes to the back of my head.

If all it takes for some people is to see things from their childhood to praise it then good for you for being such a simple minded easily pleased person :hubie: I’m sure if I grew up on a farm with an IQ of the justice league opening weekend domestic numbers I would love this film.

The differences between the book and the film didn’t bother me because both are lowest common denominator drivel.

The movie and book are just like playing a game with cheat codes on instead of using skill.

It had okayish action scenes but I was mostly bored out of my mind.

2/10
THIS so much. Motherfukkers are legit retarded with that shyt.

Also Mendholson playing a villain in Robin Hood and also in Captain Marvel the next two years so...yeah.

Just because something makes callbacks to your childhood doesn't instantly make it good. How do people who think like that function?

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
This movie was a love letter to people that are 70's/80's babies. Steven was a huge part of kids growing up in that era lives so he was perfect to make a movie like this. If you didn't grow up in that era then you won't catch all the Easter Eggs because certain things in the movie were clearly from that time. I couldn't believe what I saw. How in God's Green Earth did Steven get the approval for all that? I saw over 100 Easter Eggs that I could identify. I just still can't believe what movies, cartoons and video games were in this movie. It reminded me when "Roger Rabbit" had all those cartoon Easter Eggs (Another Steven Production) Like he really paid homage to Video Games going back to Atari, Arcade and Nintendo etc. But I enjoyed it outside of the forced Love Story (But they always do that in blockbuster, lol). It was a mixture of many Sci-Fi movies like "The Matrix", "Lawnmower man", "The Last Starfighter", "Tron" etc.. I also wished they would of elaborated more about what was going on in the real world too. Steven needs to do more Sci-Fi before he retires. Don't get me wrong, he makes amazing Dramas but I feel like he's in the zone when he's doing Sci-Fi.

v1.bjsxODc5MTUzO2o7MTc3MDY7MTIwMDszODQwOzIxNjA

Last edited:

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
This movie was a love letter to people that are 70's/80's babies. Steven was a huge part of kids growing up in that era lives so he was perfect to make a movie like this. If you didn't grow up in that era then you won't catch all the Easter Eggs because certain things in the movie were clearly from that time. I couldn't believe what I saw.
:snoop:

Just because something makes callbacks to your childhood doesn't instantly make it good. How do people who think like that function?
:myman::salute:
I just noticed its at 67% though with a 5.3/10 rating :dwillhuh:
That’s way too generous. The scores have increased since. :scust:

Last edited:

FLATOP

Superstar
Daps
Special effects in this were very good. Made Justice League from the same studio look like ass